Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #31
geemac
Enthusiast
geemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3G, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD+,Kobo Touch,Kindle Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
American Banking Law now allows anyone to get a debit card. If someone is in such dire financial straights that they are suffering severe money issues, they shouldn't even be thinking about owning a Kindle.

here's the NON mythical twinkie defense reference. and yes, while in that sense it refers to a murder defense, now-a-days it is often used to point out complete and total bullshit use of the legal system. such as the proposed *whine* here
Praise the Lord, America is not the only country on the planet. I have a Sony reader and I have never purchased any ebooks from a book store nor will I for my upcoming Kindle. I think it's a little arrogant to assume that everyone has or wants a credit/debit card.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... are suffering severe money issues, they shouldn't even be thinking about owning a Kindle ...

KindleKitty - How inhumane of you! What better "relief" and "escape" from financial difficulty that to be able to read a good book. Or even a mediocre book ... (grin)
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #33
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

>> ... I think it's a little arrogant to assume that everyone has or wants a credit/debit card ...

NO - We want access to the world's largest book store. One that is dedicated to providing more titles than any other single source on the planet. THAT'S what we want. And if we want to "walk in to" that book store, then we must follow their rules for behaviour.

Or go elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... wikipedia is not noticed by any court as authoritative for the purposes of citing case law ...

When my wife completed her degree a few years ago, Cal State Fullerton did not allow ANY "Internet citations" in her thesis ...
yep, and that is a fluid issue as it is going to become more and more of a reality in the future (using internet citations).

but here's for Mr. fussy pants. it was used in the 9th circuit.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #35
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemac View Post
Praise the Lord, America is not the only country on the planet. I have a Sony reader and I have never purchased any ebooks from a book store nor will I for my upcoming Kindle. I think it's a little arrogant to assume that everyone has or wants a credit/debit card.
so you spend more on a device that is not supporting its older models, doesn't sell their own books... cool.

I've used Smashwords, the DarkNet, Baen, MobileRead and so on. we all know HOW to do it. I am de-riding and throwing twinkies at the boo-hoo must have a credit card whining
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #36
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
then use apple if they satisfy your needs
I second this. Just buy a $600 iPad and you can get the free books with just your email address. Seems a whole lot better than just buying a $10 gift card.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #37
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally617 View Post

Apart from the FTC Bureau of Concumer Protection, which i googled, anywhere else I can lauch a formal complaint against Amazon?
Don't mess around, go right to the top and contact Eric Holder. Seems an important enough issue that he'd give his full undivided attention. Especially if Amazon is non-Union.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #38
geemac
Enthusiast
geemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3G, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD+,Kobo Touch,Kindle Paper
Quote:
so you spend more on a device that is not supporting its older models, doesn't sell their own books... cool.

I've used Smashwords, the DarkNet, Baen, MobileRead and so on. we all know HOW to do it. I am de-riding and throwing twinkies at the boo-hoo must have a credit card whining
Sorry I should have made it clear, I've had my Sony reader for a year
Old 08-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #39
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool http://www.gutenberg.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally617 View Post
I just bought my kindle amd I am still thrilled about it. However, I just found out that credit card registration or gift card is reguired to download FREE kindle books. Currently I do not have one and I do not plan to get one either. The only option left to me to to buy gift cards to download those 'FREE' kindle books. In this case, they are not free anymore. I contacted customer service twice and the only response I got is that it is the policy, I have nothing to do but to obey it or to return my kindle. Why do Amazon need my billing adress for free books? Isn't email sufficient? Apparently Apple is satisfied with using email address.

I found the policy of Amazon discriminatory. My benefits of downloading free stuff has been deprived simply because i am not a credit card owner. Indeed I have to pay for these so-called free books. Also, the ads are misleading because I cannot see sign of 'credit card or gift crad required' when Amazon is bragging about their huge collection of free kindle books.

Apart from the FTC Bureau of Concumer Protection, which i googled, anywhere else I can lauch a formal complaint against Amazon?
i'm curious, what method did you use pay for your new kindle?

anyway, you can get almost all of the free ebooks offered by amazon from the same source as amazon gets them:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

just download the .mobi versions and put 'em on your kindle. there are over 33,000 free ebooks on that site.
--
Alan

Last edited by alansplace; 08-07-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: omission in original
Old 08-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #40
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
The amazon policy is indeed discriminatory against folks that do not have credit cards,
I guess. However people without credit cards are not a protected class under the American System of law ... such as discrimination based on race, gender, religious etc etc.

Probably you should just call up CNN and get them to do an exposé . Or if you just wanted a simple solution - you can take a jar of change to a Coinstar machine, get small amount Amazon gift card or whatever, attach it to your account ... and then download free books.

But some people I think have way too much fun complaining about easily solveable issues and it'd probably interfere with that.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #41
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
I use a debit card on Amazon, always have. I am not really quite sure what the issue is for the OP - if it is concern about card security or information security, I have some sympathy.

I don't know about bank accounts in the US, but now cheques/checks have now practically disappeared in the UK, debit cards are pretty much essential.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #42
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... get small amount Amazon gift card or whatever, attach it to your account ... and then download free books ...

No, you cannot. At least not according to an Amazon rep I just spoke with. You need a credit card on file ... THEN you can add the gift certificate or gift card, and "hit" it for purchases.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #43
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
How does one order a Kindle without a card on file? Is there a difference in the payment methods allowed for Kindles vs Kindle books? My limited experience of free books on Amazon is that they're not as good as the lovingly hand-crafted editions available from Mobile Read in any case.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #44
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FluxCapacitor
[QUOTE=kindlekitten;1047387I am de-riding and throwing twinkies at the boo-hoo must have a credit card whining[/QUOTE]

Simply put...

Amazons policy is socio-economically discriminating.

Kindlekitten is a very angry and bitter person. Just read the posts here and look at the profile. As a community member, I apologies on Kindlekittens behalf for such a terrible attitude to those who may stumble across this.

Also kindle kitten please note - we prefer different fonts and slow typing

Last edited by Kevin R; 08-07-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #45
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
Simply put...

Amazons policy is socio-economically discriminating.
I really don't understand how it is discriminating. Banks don't discriminate; ANYONE in America can get a debit card with a Visa logo on it. If she doesn't want to open a bank account, she can use cash to buy a Visa or American Express gift card. If not, she can get free books from many other places, instead of using a system she dislikes. Personally I think this is the best idea.

Are restaurants or other places that take cash only also discriminating? Are places that don't accept checks discriminating?
Closed Thread

Tags
complaint