I'm charging iPad every day 37 45.68%
I'm charging iPad maybe 3 to 5 times per week 24 29.63%
I'm charging iPad once or twice per week 13 16.05%
My iPad does about 12 hours on a single charge 13 16.05%
My iPad does about 10 hours on a single charge 35 43.21%
My iPad does about 8 hours on a single charge 10 12.35%
My iPad does about 6 hours on a single charge 3 3.70%
iPad has become my sole multi-purpose unit 25 30.86%
I'm using additional gadgets, i. e. video game consoles, eBook readers, to preserve battery on iPad 7 8.64%
I'm looking for a solution to preserve battery, for example external battery packs 6 7.41%
After a few initial charges, battery duration has increased on my iPAd 5 6.17%
Battery duration already seems to have degraded on my iPad 6 7.41%
Battery duration always has been the same 37 45.68%
iPad to me is competing with my other gadgets 21 25.93%
iPad to me is an addition to my other gadgets 29 35.80%
I'm an Apple fan 22 27.16%
Before iPad, I have been an Apple sceptic 15 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The required support is that Stanza support the "Open In..." interface. Not all Apps do - eg, the Kindle App doesn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #32
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
How old is your iPad? The battery needs a couple of full charging cycles first to calibrate itself before it reaches its full capacity. You probably know this already, but I just want to make sure.
I have been in the first batch for Germany, end of May. So I've charged it about 40 to 50 times already.

Maybe the main difference to the usage pattern of the majority is my working habits. I'm in the home office. So I'm either using iPad at home even in working hours (doing researches in the web on the sofa and not at the desk) or I'm traveling and using iPad on the train.
I guess, people who go to the office and don't bring their iPad, don't have much chances to actually use iPad more than, let's say, 5 hours a day. I probably use it about 8 to 10 hours a day. In this time, I'm browsing the web all the time and I'm using it for hours in a row. And I'm downloading a lot. I've downloaded hundreds of Zinio magazines. I have about 200 apps and I probably have tested another 100 or so.

What I'll do: I'll look for a battery tracking program (or whatever this may be called). It should be possible to track the on-time between charging cycles. I've never actually stopped the time. The only thing I know for sure: My battery runs dry almost every day...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-25-2010 at 02:52 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #33
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks, Murray and Harry. I've loaded DropBox on computer and iPad, and things seem to work, but I'm not seeing how to open in Stanza, though I've got that on iPad. When I try to open in various apps, it lists ones that are supported, but Stanza isn't one of 'em. I can use GoodReader, but would prefer Stanza if possible. Sorry about bonehead questions.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #34
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I have been in the first batch for Germany, end of May. So I've charged it about 40 to 50 times already.

Maybe the main difference to the usage pattern of the majority is my working habits. I'm in the home office. So I'm either using iPad at home even in working hours (doing researches in the web on the sofa and not at the desk) or I'm traveling and using iPad on the train.
I guess, people who go to the office and don't bring their iPad, don't have much chances to actually use iPad more than, let's say, 5 hours a day. I probably use it about 8 to 10 hours a day. In this time, I'm browsing the web all the time and I'm using it for hours in a row. And I'm downloading a lot. I've downloaded hundreds of Zinio magazines. I have about 200 apps and I probably have tested another 100 or so.

What I'll do: I'll look for a battery tracking program (or whatever this may be called). It should be possible to track the on-time between charging cycles. I've never actually stopped the time. The only thing I know for sure: My battery runs dry almost every day...
In case you can use for comparison:

I've been using iPad for stretches of easily 8 to 10 hours (while taking extended time off work). I get at least 10 hours on lowest brightness and with 3G on constantly. I browse Web sites all day and read e-books, with music on sometimes. I don't use video or play games. I have to charge at least once a day. I usually charge at about 20 percent, but I have run down my battery two or three times.

Last week, I loaded all my Audible books with the iPad app. I had to use wi-fi for that, and they were huge files that took a long time to load. I didn't notice a drop-off in battery life while doing that.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #35
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
In case you can use for comparison:

I've been using iPad for stretches of easily 8 to 10 hours (while taking extended time off work). I get at least 10 hours on lowest brightness and with 3G on constantly. I browse Web sites all day and read e-books, with music on sometimes. I don't use video or play games. I have to charge at least once a day. I usually charge at about 20 percent, but I have run down my battery two or three times.

Last week, I loaded all my Audible books with the iPad app. I had to use wi-fi for that, and they were huge files that took a long time to load. I didn't notice a drop-off in battery life while doing that.
When comparing, reducing to your brightness (I always have 50%) will be interesting to check out.
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #36
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Thanks, Murray and Harry. I've loaded DropBox on computer and iPad, and things seem to work, but I'm not seeing how to open in Stanza, though I've got that on iPad. When I try to open in various apps, it lists ones that are supported, but Stanza isn't one of 'em. I can use GoodReader, but would prefer Stanza if possible. Sorry about bonehead questions.
Strange, when I try to open an epub file from my dropbox it fails to open it internally and then I van select the open in option with a choice of stanza, goodreader, filebrowser and cloudreaders.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #37
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Strange, when I try to open an epub file from my dropbox it fails to open it internally and then I van select the open in option with a choice of stanza, goodreader, filebrowser and cloudreaders.
Hmm. Maybe format difference? I don't have any epub files. I was just testing with Word files.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #38
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
When comparing, reducing to your brightness (I always have 50%) will be interesting to check out.
Yes, hope you gain some battery improvement (and still get enough brightness).

In case it helps: I've had good results with the Griffin Powerblock charger, which Scott recommended on an earlier thread. It charges my iPad up to 80 percent in about 2.5 hours. According to a tech blog (maybe Engadget?), it tested various ways of charging and the Griffin came out speediest. I've got two of 'em. I hooked one up directly to a surge protector and it charges quickly, as promised. I hooked a USB extension cord to the other, and charging speed dropped off significantly.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #39
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Hmm. Maybe format difference? I don't have any epub files. I was just testing with Word files.
That's it. Each application tells the system which file formats it supports, and the Open In list only offers you apps which offer support for the file you have chosen.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #40
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
In case it helps: I've had good results with the Griffin Powerblock charger, which Scott recommended on an earlier thread. It charges my iPad up to 80 percent in about 2.5 hours. According to a tech blog (maybe Engadget?), it tested various ways of charging and the Griffin came out speediest.
In my testings the Apple 10W USB charger is just as fast. At least in Europe with 230V, in the USA it might be slower. I’m not sure if the iPad supports more than 10W via USB anyway.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #41
mgmueller
Member Retired

Tracking time

I didn't find any app for tracking charging cycles.
So I'll make some notes manually:

Sunday 11:35 pm to Monday 02:05 am CET = 2.5 hours, down from 100% to 77%.
WiFi on all the time. Mainly checking news, browsing the web. I've read articles about half the time, which should have low battery consumption.
23% down in 2.5 hours. This would indicate close to 11 hours (linear extrapolation, which isn't correct of course) of total battery life. I'll keep track. First impression: The more time I spend reading, the longer the battery seems to last. No surprise here, that's what most of you stated (and which is not my average usage pattern. I don't read books on iPad, only news and magazines).

Ongoing: (Between sessions leaving iPad in standby, not turning it off)
Down 23% in 150 minutes = indicating 10.9 hours. (Reading a lot)
Down 29% in 175 minutes = indicating 10.1 hours. (Downloading a lot)

Before going to bed a quick check: While in standby, in 1 hour iPad has lost 2% (may not be accurate of course). That's surprisingly high. Some of my ePaper readers can conserve battery for weeks in standby (whereas others run dry within a week, due to faulty standby mode).

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-25-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #42
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i have no complaints about ipad battery life. a full day of typical usage for me rarely gets it below 30%. i plug it in every night and it's ready for me in the morning.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #43
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
No battery worries here-I have both 3G and wifi on at all times...I'm guessing 10+ hours easily, mix of reading/browsing/watching videos.

One new app i did notice that visibly affected battery life: Angry Birds.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #44
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Before going to bed a quick check: While in standby, in 1 hour iPad has lost 2% (may not be accurate of course). That's surprisingly high. Some of my ePaper readers can conserve battery for weeks in standby (whereas others run dry within a week, due to faulty standby mode).
My iPad consumes about 8% overnight. That is with Wifi and push-eMail on. So your 2% per hour seems rather high! Have there still been any downloads active?
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #45
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
You mean I could have been charging iPad all along instead of leaving my PRS-600 a fortnight at a stretch?
How could I resist?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote