Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Various: Astounding Stories of Super-Science February 1930. v1. 3 July 2010

Here is Astounding Stories of Super-Science, February 1930.

These first incarnations of Astounding were adventure-oriented magazines, with no interest in education through science. The covers were all painted by Wesso and similarly action-filled; the first issue showed a giant beetle attacking a man. The quality of the fiction was very low, and Bates would not accept any experimental stories, relying mostly on formulaic plots. But, they are still rip-roaring good reads.

My sister found this at Project Gutenberg. I tried reading the ePub version and the html version, but there was too much extraneous "stuff." All I wanted was text so I could read the stories.

These are very text-only ePubs. I took out all illustrations (except for the book cover), references to illustrations/advertisements, the Reader's corner (letters) and all the magazine details (price, editors, etc.).

All you get is the stories, formatted to show italics and with a Table of Contents.

Please let me know if they don't come out well for you (they show fine in my ereader and my version of ADE).

Thanks.

Marilyn

P.S. I see other Astounding books here, but (1) they are not ePub and (2) the two that are ePub have images and such - these are only text. So, please let me know if I've overstepped my limits by posting these. Thanks.

P.P.S. These are not copyrighted in the United States (per Project Gutenberg's web site)

Last edited by Mickey330; 07-16-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Changed title to make it a little less cryptic...
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
This one seems to be missing (the attachment).
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, pietvo.

I've just added it to the post...

Thanks for pointing it out.

Marilyn
Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I would much rather have the illustrations; they add so much to the atmosphere of the stories.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I would much rather have the illustrations; they add so much to the atmosphere of the stories.
As one who has benefited by the great work of all of you who have posted books in epub format, let me first express my gratitude to each and every one of you. I am in your debt.

That said, if given a choice between pulp stories with or without the art, I'd prefer to have the art. Where whole magazines are being reproduced, please feel free to omit the advertising, especially those nasty mailer cards! ;-)

Last edited by frquixote; 07-06-2010 at 04:50 AM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your excellent work! It's good to have text-only versions since the resulting ebooks have a smaller file size, and since I find that most reader hardware doesn't display pictures all that attractively anyways.

Could I ask you to reconsider the way you name the files though? When I sort a directory of books, I find that the Astoundings are scattered since you have started off with the date. You also didn't put Astounding anywhere in the file name so I'm afraid that I will soon forget what book it is
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

But you can easily rename the files any way you wish.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
But you can easily rename the files any way you wish.
True enough. But if Marilyn does it once, it helps out everybody at the same time. You don't think at the very least that the word "Astounding" would be helpful in the file name?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
pietvo
Reader

Yes, but I don't think it is a big deal. (Neither do I think you make a big deal of it, by the way). I don't know how easy it is to rename the books in the mobileread archive. If that's not doable we might end up with two copies of each book which might diverge in the end.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Mickey330
Addict

I've re-named all the books "Astounding Stories - [date]". That should help ID them. I didn't do it before because they were all in an "Astounding Stories" folder on my computer/Calibre/PB360. So, I knew what they were ... !

I don't believe it'll muck up MobileReads files because the ebooks are sorted by the thread title, which I have not changed.

Marilyn

Last edited by Mickey330; 07-16-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Durn grammar!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
radius
Lector minore

Thank you!