Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Trick to make documents load much faster

I just discovered a trick to make documents load faster.

If you already have a document opened, opening a second one takes much less times. For example, for some writepads I have, they open almost as fast as "going to the next page" when another document is open, but take ~5 seconds when no document is open.

Just leave one document always open (some writepad for scribbling notes), and any other document you open, close when done. This way you'll have always a document open, but you won't run out of memory.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
The trick makes sense, once the PDF reading application is already present in memory the next instance will indeed start faster. I guess that if iRex wanted to they could automate this by starting the PDF reading application automatically at start-up (preferably in parrallel with the other processes) but the drawback would be that there would always be a useless application running and it is really a waste of memory. And frankly, I don't think that in the end you win time, it may feel that way but IMHO the truth is that the pen navigation and/or button navigation to open that first document is giong to take more time than it takes for the PDF reader application to start up.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have quite a large dictionary (25 MB) and I have found that if I look-up words from within a PDF, occasional the DR will freeze while it is going to the page with the definition on it. I've noticed that if I open the dictionary first and leave it running in the background, this problem doesn't occur. (It also never happens when I look up words by manually typing them into the mobi dictionary search rather than tapping on them in a PDF.)
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Yeah, I reported those dictionary freezes a few months ago. Leaving it in the background helps but it doesn't solve the issue. The device will freeze if you use it a lot, like 5 words a page for 50 pages.

I'm not sure if fw 1.6 fixed it.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
I have quite a large dictionary (25 MB) and I have found that if I look-up words from within a PDF, occasional the DR will freeze while it is going to the page with the definition on it. I've noticed that if I open the dictionary first and leave it running in the background, this problem doesn't occur. (It also never happens when I look up words by manually typing them into the mobi dictionary search rather than tapping on them in a PDF.)
I think the DR need to load some application. they can improve that by make pre-loading process like linux. I could be wrong
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dr1000, pdf, speed, viewer