Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sony PRS-700 is in the Stores

At least in the SonyStyle store in the Pentagon City Mall here in Northern Virginia. Salesman said it had been on display for about 20 minutes when I got my hands on it. And he said you can buy them now.

Feels about like the 505 with a similar screen. I do like the built in light.

Took me a while to get the hang of turning the pages by touching the screen. I've got an iPhone and the screen is much more user friendly although it may just be a question of getting used to the Sony screen. After fooling around with it for a while, I was turning pages more smoothly.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks for posting. I've got so many questions. I will settle for two . Is the the LED light truly uneven? did it bother you while reading?

Edit: Also, While using it, did the screen bear any sign of your fingerprints? Did it get, as a poster here qualified it, greasy??

Last edited by Dave Berk; 10-18-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Thanks for posting. I've got so many questions. I will settle for two . Is the the LED light truly uneven? did it bother you while reading?

Edit: Also, While using it, did the screen bear any sign of your fingerprints? Did it get, as a poster here qualified it, greasy??
The shop lightening was so bright, I couldn't really tell what affect the built in light had.

And, yeah, there were lots of fingerprints
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
And, yeah, there were lots of fingerprints
That's not good. At least not for me . Did you try cleaning it? how visible they were? did they detract from your reading experience?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

I didn't try cleaning it. If it's like the iPhone, that wouldn't be much of a problem. The fingerprints were not all that noticeable and did not detract at all from the reading experience.
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
there are buttons you can use instead of the screen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
So did you end up buying it?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I didn't try cleaning it. If it's like the iPhone, that wouldn't be much of a problem. The fingerprints were not all that noticeable and did not detract at all from the reading experience.
Thanks, that's good to know.

How was the build quality? Like the 505? better? did it feel plasticky, if you understand what I mean?

[Sorry, I've got heaps of questions and right now you're my only source of information...]
Old 10-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
So did you end up buying it?
No I didn't. I already have a 505 and the 700 isn't that much cooler. Although, were I to find a buyer for my 505, I might be tempted.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Thanks, that's good to know.

How was the build quality? Like the 505? better? did it feel plasticky, if you understand what I mean?

[Sorry, I've got heaps of questions and right now you're my only source of information...]
It felt exactly like the 505. Same heft and size. In fact, they had a couple of 505's on the same display stand and, holding them at the same time, they felt about the same
Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
So as to avoid fingerprints on the screen you can use a stylus!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
So as to avoid fingerprints on the screen you can use a stylus!
Correct and the stylus is housed in a slot on the upper right side like an iPaq. Also, like the iPaq, probably pretty easy to lose.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
When turning pages, do you feel that a "thumb swipe" would have accomplished the task?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
So, can anyone tell us what is the body casing made of, extruded aluminum or plastic?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If anyone can get to that (or another) shop and buy a unit, I'll be willing to pay some extra over the price to get one early.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote