Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
bookie
bookie began at the beginning.

Device: nokia
charging Cybook from a power point?

hi
sorry if this is an elementary question, but I can't work out the answer from the Cybook online site, and the guy selling them at the local bookstore, where I think the Cybook still counts as 'new fangled' doesn't know.

Can the Cybook be charged from a regular power point? I assume if so this would need some kind of adapter? could anyone let me know what it is? Is it available only from Bookeen, or would a regular electronics store stock it?
Second how easy is it to buy a spare battery for this unit? some of my use for the Cybook would be for backpacking trips of a couple of weeks, so the issue of how to charge it and what back up I could get is important.
thanks for your help
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
It charges via a mini USB cable so all you need is an AC adapter for USB. I use the AC adapter for my iPod and it works fine. Something like this.
http://www.nextag.com/Cables-Unlimit...92/prices-html

You can buy a spare battery for the Cybook from Bookeen. I received a spare with the deluxe package and changed the battery once. It's a very fine screw and I almost lost it. I wouldn't want to try changing the battery on a hiking trip.

You might want to consider something like this that would allow you to charge via an external battery. I haven't tried it though.
http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/de...r_uno_slim.php
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As Barcey says, any USB mains adapter will work fine. There are lots of different types available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Can I use the mains USB charger that came with my iphone?

I seem to remember that some USB mains chargers are 12 volts and the Cybook uses 5 volts.

May not be correct - just a memory. Does anyone know for sure?
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
I'd be very surprised if there were any 12v USB chargers. Too much risk of users destroying equipment.
Equally surprised if the iPhone charger didn't have the voltage and current printed on it.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
I seem to remember that some USB mains chargers are 12 volts and the Cybook uses 5 volts.

The USB standard is 5 Volts. If it's not 5 Volts it's not USB.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
Can I use the mains USB charger that came with my iphone?

Hi there

I'm using my iPhone adapter and it appears to be fine

I purchased this from amazon.co.uk tho as it has 2 USB slots so will be useful when travelling http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Jivo-Wor...3299384&sr=8-3 and it comes in black or white!

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Most of the times people already have a “power point” charger but do not remember they have one.

If you have a powered USB HUB you can charge your Cybook from it (and any 5V USB charging appliance), even if the HUB is not connected to a computer!
Just connect the charger of the HUB to it and connect your Cybook with it’s USB cable to any of the HUB USB slots.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Used my best spectacles and I can just read that the iphone usb mains charger is 5v, so here goes a Cybook.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
peterbbb
BoyReader

It works fine...

Silly me.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
If you're in the UK, Argos has a mains charger with a mini USB plug for £9.97. Including an in-car charger.
http://tinyurl.com/3ntazz
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you take the deluxe package, you will have an adapter you can use for this.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I've just received This one from Play.com for £3.99 including postage. Ordered Friday, received today and works just fine.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
shleepy
shleepy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPhone 3G
I'm also betting that it would charge from a powered USB hub, if you happen to have one.
shleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shleepy View Post
I'm also betting that it would charge from a powered USB hub, if you happen to have one.
It even charges from an unpowered hub. That's exactly what I charge mine from at work - a 4-port Belkin hub which, although it can be powered, I use it unpowered. It charges the CyBook just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote