Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
SD Card

Anyone got any more information on the Cybook's SD Card specs? I hope it will be able to read the large-capacity cards and not be limited to, say, 64mb.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Never mind. I saw that the Deluxe version comes with a 1gb card.

*sigh*
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There was a discussion last month on Baen's Bar (Bookeen's new site...) about support for SD cards larger than 1 GB. In summary, 2 GB should be easy to support but >2 GB is harder. The actual maximum SD capacity is unknown until NAEB gets their demo units.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Anybody already having the Gen3 able to enlighten us? Are 4gB SD cards supported?
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post
Anybody already having the Gen3 able to enlighten us? Are 4gB SD cards supported?
I have tried a 4GB MiniSD (in a mini-to-standard SD adapter) and it worked without a hitch. So I'd say yes.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fact that a 4GB card is recognised doesn't necessarily mean that it'll work properly. What you may well find is that data beyond 2GB is not recognised. That's what happens on a number of devices, including the Sony Reader.

2GB should be more than enough room unless you start using the Gen3 to play MP3s, which probably isn't a very good idea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that a 4GB card is recognised doesn't necessarily mean that it'll work properly. What you may well find is that data beyond 2GB is not recognised. That's what happens on a number of devices, including the Sony Reader.

2GB should be more than enough room unless you start using the Gen3 to play MP3s, which probably isn't a very good idea.
Hmmm. that makes sense. I haven't run into it myself yet, though. I'll test it over the weekend; I'll toss the Blackmask DVD on it and try again.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard

Just for grins, I just plugged a 8GB SDHC card in my Cybook.

Didn't work, of course. But the funny thing was that it didn't simply ignore it, like I expected it to. Instead, it hung at the bootup screen, as if it tried to make sense of it and failed.

Might the fact that the SDHC card was at least in some way visible to the Cybook mean that the SD controller is indeed SDHC capable, and the software is just not yet able to drive it as such, much like he Nokia N800?

Probably too much to hope for
Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
I put 3.5 GB data on it and tried again. The result is quite interesting; when the Cybook is connected to my PC, the card shows up with the correct size and free space, and I can copy files to and from it at will.

However, the reader software seems to ignore it. The 'standard' directories do not get created, and when I create a 'eBooks' directory by hand and put a MobiPocket ebook in it, it does not show up in the Library.

To me, this indicates that the hardware & OS can read 4GB SD cards just fine; it's the *application* that has issues with them...

Bookeen, are you listening? ;-)
Old 11-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's probably best to stick to 2GB cards for the time being.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
It's probably best to stick to 2GB cards for the time being.
Agreed; 4GB ones clearly don't work where it counts :-).
Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Should I be looking for anything in particular with regard to a 2GB SD card? I understand there's (at least) 3 different sizes. Normal, micro and mini. I've seen a few of the smaller ones coming with adapters, but I'd rather just go for the normal size. Other than that though, just any 2GB will do the job, I should just go for a decent brand name?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Should I be looking for anything in particular with regard to a 2GB SD card? I understand there's (at least) 3 different sizes. Normal, micro and mini. I've seen a few of the smaller ones coming with adapters, but I'd rather just go for the normal size. Other than that though, just any 2GB will do the job, I should just go for a decent brand name?
I too would like to know if there are any brands to look out for. I thought that the onboard memory would be enough, but based on the collection of books I already have ready to go, maaaaybe not :P
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Yeah, 2GB should be overkill, but since the cards are cheap I can't think of a reason to get anything less than the maximum size. Hmm, a thought just occurred even if 2GB isn't enough... I can always carry dozens of SD cards around..... nah, 2GB should be enough..
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Regular, ordinary SD cards. 2GB or smaller. You don't want mini or micro - although I suppose the mini-2-normal adapter cards work okay. Haven't really tried them.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote