Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
We can no longer use the keyboard with the dictionaries
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouni View Post
We can no longer use the keyboard with the dictionaries
The keyboard works fine for dictionaries on my Glo.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #33
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Keyboard works fine as soon as you have it. The problem is that it does not open if you enter the dictionary screen when a word is selected.

For another step back in dictionary functionality cf. this post.

Last edited by tshering; 04-24-2013 at 04:30 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Ha! Finally got one myself!

Posted in the Direct Links thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69#post2159069

What! They're letting Aussies get the updates without a month (minimum!) delay.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I can't seem to get this update like another member posted. The reader appears to be doing an update and downloading a file, but you just keep waiting forever and no progress other than you see the battery keep draining and losing 1% every few minutes just waiting for the update. It seems to be locked up, or very very sluggish to take any commands at all while it's stuck in this downloading cycle. I finally just gave up and stuck a paperclip in to do the soft reset to get functions back.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What! They're letting Aussies get the updates without a month (minimum!) delay.
Don't worry, I nearly dropped my Glo when I saw it downloading. It did take a little revenge by hanging at the end of the download. But, it was OK the second time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #37
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Yeah, we're still downloading updates twice for some reason... 100% and still a hang and a reset the first time.

Sometimes, that the bear dances, is not quite enough.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I can't seem to get this update like another member posted. The reader appears to be doing an update and downloading a file, but you just keep waiting forever and no progress other than you see the battery keep draining and losing 1% every few minutes just waiting for the update. It seems to be locked up, or very very sluggish to take any commands at all while it's stuck in this downloading cycle. I finally just gave up and stuck a paperclip in to do the soft reset to get functions back.
I was looking a co-worker's Touch today. She had done a sync while on her coffee break and her Touch downloaded the update and stuck at the 100% downloaded line. After restarting her Touch and connecting it to a computer, I found the kobo-update-2.5.1.zip file in the .kobo directory. I copied the .zip file to the computer, unpacked it back to the .kobo directory and did a reset. Updated happily and she's a happy camper again.

At a guess, there is a glitch in the update code so it stalls after downloading the file and before the .zip file is extracted and the ereader restarted to continue the update.

Hey, she only had to download the file once... doesn't that count as progress?

After the update I tried a minor experiment. I copied the fonts from the Glo that are not present on the Touch into the .tar file and re-did the update. The fonts show up and the advanced controls work. Time to make another donation to 7Zip's author.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-24-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Just for the heck of it...
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #39
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Mine didn't download twice when it stuck at 100%. As DNSB said, it had successfully downloaded the update but choked on installing it. I found just doing a sync after I rebooted the Glo was enough to cause it to find the update and install it (nothing downloaded on the 2nd sync).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #40
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Just upgraded to 2.5.1 by doing a sync over WIFI on my Glo. The download and installation all happened without a hiccup (as it always has for me in the past), no need to manually reset.

Oh, and the battery level remained the same between the start of the update until it had finished. I haven't recharged for weeks!

Last edited by moffattm; 04-24-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Add battery info
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was looking a co-worker's Touch today. She had done a sync while on her coffee break and her Touch downloaded the update and stuck at the 100% downloaded line. After restarting her Touch and connecting it to a computer, I found the kobo-update-2.5.1.zip file in the .kobo directory. I copied the .zip file to the computer, unpacked it back to the .kobo directory and did a reset. Updated happily and she's a happy camper again.

At a guess, there is a glitch in the update code so it stalls after downloading the file and before the .zip file is extracted and the ereader restarted to continue the update.
Do you still have the file? And do you know if there was a stack log? Elsewhere, Kobo have asked for this to help them debug. I can pass it on if you can upload it somewhere.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #42
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
I checked and sure enough, the 2.5.1 zip file was on the reader. I unpacked it as you said, and when I disconnected the reader from the USB cable, it started updating. Now it does say that I have 2.5.1 installed when I check under Device Info.

Thanks for that info. Is it ok to delete that 2.5.1 zip file after it updates correctly? After the update installed, that zip file is still there taking up space on the reader.

One thing I noticed when checking the reader, the time/date on the .kobo directory seems to remain ahead by 5-6 hours (time shown was 4/25 5:08am (current time is still 4/24 though for me and my reader did have the correct local time). Is there any chance the future date causes some issue with the update process?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Is it ok to delete that 2.5.1 zip file after it updates correctly? After the update installed, that zip file is still there taking up space on the reader.
That will be safe. If you look, the files you unpacked will have been removed as well.
Quote:
One thing I noticed when checking the reader, the time/date on the .kobo directory seems to remain ahead by 5-6 hours (time shown was 4/25 5:08am (current time is still 4/24 though for me and my reader did have the correct local time). Is there any chance the future date causes some issue with the update process?
The device uses UTC internally. It will compensate as appropriate when displaying any dates or time. But, it is annoying when looking directly at the file system.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #44
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Turning off and on the device, then logging out and on the account did the trick for me. Actually, since 2.4.0 this is the only way working for me but it works so I'm fine with it.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #45
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you still have the file? And do you know if there was a stack log? Elsewhere, Kobo have asked for this to help them debug. I can pass it on if you can upload it somewhere.
I had the same problem (download zip but not updating) and have the zip file and a stack log if you still need a copy.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote