Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Scorehound
Scorehound began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
E-Readers vs. E-Reader apps

Just a quick question. I have been looking for a new device that I can read books, magazines and the like. I have been torn between Kobo, Nook and Kindle, but I have had people suggest to me the Google Nexus 7 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

So my big question is: Is the content you get from the app stores (Kindle store, Kobo store, etc) the same as the content you get from a dedicated tablet from each respective company? For example, if I buy a Google Nexus 7 or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, would the Kindle and Kobo apps give me access to the same number of books and magazines that the dedicated readers would?

A big factor in my decision lies in the content available to each tablet.
Scorehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yes. The apps give you access to all the books in the store.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Many magazines look better on a tablet, and some are only readable on a tablet.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Reading on e-ink is great, but 7 inch tablet would be perfect all in one device. I considering getting one.

I like the size. I like having all the apps from the different stores right there, without converting the files. I have my magazines, comics and newspapers too.
Having all the apps, allows me to do price comparison and buy from the lowest priced store or support stores that I want too.

I don't like reading books on the big iPad. Its just too big, but I do. When I travel, the kindle stays home because I can read everything on the iPad.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I use my Nook tablet primarily for pdf files and audiobooks. It's heavy. For that reason, I normally read on eink readers (I have 2 different Kindles and a ST Nook). Yes, the apps let you have access, but they aren't always stable. For instance, the last update for the Kindle app crashes. I'm going to have to just delete it and reinstall. It's annoying. I have apps for Kindle, Nook, Kobo (and Audible) and the Kobo one so far has always been the most stable with lots of options to make reading a pleasure. Even on my ITouch, the Kobo reader was the best one.

Keep in mind that you can always sideload most things and get a reader app that is more customizable. I just got the Moon reader, recommended by another poster here, and like it so far.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If you want to read a variety of publication types from a variety of sources, then tablets are the way to go. Simply put: the ability to install various reader applications will give you more choice.

E-ink has many advantages, but they are irrelevant if you can't access what you want to read.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Basically, your content is available either way, but the reader vs the app will give a different experience in terms of opening and displaying the file.

The same way that you can open a .doc in MS Word or LibreOffice (or even Google Docs) but it will look different in each. (browser-embedded window vs program interface, different toolbars whatever.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One Size does not fit all.

IMHO Tablets are heavy and battery hogs.
Use them when you need Color, Large size images (Like magazines, technical pubs with charts)

E-Ink for general reading. Light weight, LOOOONG battery life (days to weeks), usable in sun (until the device gets too hot to hold: Been there. BTW that exceed mfgrs operational specs)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The available content is *not* the same for all devices.
Some ebooks and magazines are only available on tablets and audiobooks are only available on readers with audio or on tablets. And on tablets they typically need a separate app.
The vast majority of files will be available everywhere but there will be exceptions.

Decide first what, how, and where you will be reading and which tradeoffs make sense for you; weight, battery life, outdoor readability, color, audio, etc.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
One Size does not fit all.

IMHO Tablets are heavy and battery hogs.
Use them when you need Color, Large size images (Like magazines, technical pubs with charts)

E-Ink for general reading. Light weight, LOOOONG battery life (days to weeks), usable in sun (until the device gets too hot to hold: Been there. BTW that exceed mfgrs operational specs)

All good points, but my money only fits one size

I probably need a new e-ink reader, but I would also like a smaller tablet.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
So my big question is: Is the content you get from the app stores (Kindle store, Kobo store, etc) the same as the content you get from a dedicated tablet from each respective company?
Scorehound's not asking about eInk vs tablet, but by dedicated they mean a Kindle Fire vs. the Android App, a Nook HD vs Nook for Android, the Kobo Arc vs the Kobo Android app.

AFAIK the apps and the company branded tablets have access to the same content (although not always all the same settings/features), but I can't say 100% as I've never really looked into it closely.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-02-2014 at 10:53 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #12
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Personally, I found 7" a little tight for magazines and comics. If a variety of print media is your main priority, the Nook HD Plus (9") is still a great deal. It's not as fast or smooth or sensor-packed as the Nexus 7, but it has a gorgeous screen and the built in reader does a great job with magazines if you subscribe through B&N.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
AFAIK the apps and the company branded tablets have access to the same content (although not always all the same settings/features), but I can't say 100% as I've never really looked into it closely.
You do not have access to the same apps on Kindle tablets, since they have their own app store. Kobo and Nook use Google Play, which means that you'll be able to use most apps developed for Android devices. Does this make a difference in what you can read? As far as I can tell, Amazon does not include apps for some of their direct competitors (e.g. Kobo). On the other hand, those competitors use ePub and there appear to be a few apps on the Amazon store that supports ePubs with Adobe's DRM scheme. So you can still buy books from those vendors, but it will be slightly less convenient. In other cases, Amazon's store does include apps (e.g. Zinio). At the end of the day it's best to see if Amazon's app store includes the apps that you want prior to settling on their product.

(That said, you should be able to root a Kindle Fire and get direct access to Google Play. But that's something that you'd have to ask Fire users about.)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
All exelent answers however I would like to venture some of the differences between reading with a tablet vs a dedicated ereader. A tablet offers the ability to complete non-reading tasks such as reading email and playing games and perhaps watching videos from Netflix and Amazon Video. I have often heard people saying that a tablet does not do so well in direct sunlight, such as enjoying your favorite novel on your front lawn. Personally I did not go with a tablet for a simple reason is that I have a tendency to get distracted with all of these other functions and I need to force myself to concentrate on the book at hand. Some have told me that they preferr the tablet becuase it is not locked into any one book store, however I like amazon's business model and have no problem relying on amazon. Some have told me that they oped for a dedicated reader becuase they want to turn the reading light off at times. A tablet always has its light on and there is no way to turn it off. One fellow mobile read member told me that he went with a tablet becuase all of his pals were getting tablets and wanted to be with the "in crowd".

Personally I think that each type of computer has its place in the modern household and which one you need depends on the end result that one is trying to achieve. Desktops are best when centralized computing is needed, one PC placed in a common area so that all family members can get to it. Laptops, if you are going to be doing a lot of typing, such as on mobile read however you still want the mobility of the laptop (Chromebooks are also great for this, I have one and its great). Tablets are best when the computing needs to be able to follow you about the home however you will not be doing a lot of typing and more browsing instead (such as browsing amazon or barns and nobel's book stores). Ereaders when you want to curl up with a good book and not be destricated by email and other such tasks. Smart phones, when the computing power needs to follow you out of the home.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
You do not have access to the same apps on Kindle tablets, since they have their own app store. Kobo and Nook use Google Play, which means that you'll be able to use most apps developed for Android devices. Does this make a difference in what you can read? As far as I can tell, Amazon does not include apps for some of their direct competitors (e.g. Kobo). On the other hand, those competitors use ePub and there appear to be a few apps on the Amazon store that supports ePubs with Adobe's DRM scheme. So you can still buy books from those vendors, but it will be slightly less convenient. In other cases, Amazon's store does include apps (e.g. Zinio). At the end of the day it's best to see if Amazon's app store includes the apps that you want prior to settling on their product.

(That said, you should be able to root a Kindle Fire and get direct access to Google Play. But that's something that you'd have to ask Fire users about.)
True, although most if not all of those apps, like Kobo's, can be sideloaded to the Fire's without rooting or anything like that. The OP was asking about content between app and store branded tablet, I took that to mean books, magazines and newspapers since they specifically want the device for reading.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote