Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
seas1
seas1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader Touch
Problems with MOBI format

I'm new on this forum, and first time user of e-book reader. I buy Kobo eReader Touch few days ago, and I have a problem. I have some e-books on my computer, around 100 of them, and they are all in MOBI format. I load this books on my new reader and I'm able to open them, but big part of the text is just a some strange leters trown in without any meaning. Let's say that 40 % of text is like that, just leters and simbols without any meaning. the rest is OK.
What causing this problem?
I have Kindle e-book reader app instaled on my computer, and I can open and read all this books without problem on my computer, but not on my new KOBO

Thank you in advance
SEAS
seas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
That's because the Kobo Touch only supports (k)epub and pdf files, not mobi. You can convert mobi files to epub files though, using Calibre.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
lilo_lalelu
lilo_lalelu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle 4, Oyo
Geeky please take a look here:

http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech

Supported File Formats: Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI

At least it is advertised to be compatible with mobi.

Sincerly, Lilo
lilo_lalelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
seas1
seas1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader Touch

Supported File Formats Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Documents: PDF
Text: TXT, HTML and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

Geeky, This is from KOBO official Technical Specifications site. But anyway, same thing you can find on any Reviw and Technical Specifications site. There is always MOBI as one of supported formats.
But sa I said before, 60% of the text is OK, 40 % is just a garbage. like is rendered wrongly or ... I dont know!!
seas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Kobo touch "does support" mobi files.

However it does a lousy job with mobi format.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
I stand corrected.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It says that it is supported but I can never get them to work, I have the same problem as you.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
That's because the Kobo Touch only supports (k)epub and pdf files, not mobi. You can convert mobi files to epub files though, using Calibre.
Calibre can be found at http://calibre-ebook.com/

Support for it is available within MobileRead forums at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Like Peter, I convert my mobi files to ePUB using Calibre. It works very well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Is your reader updated to the latest firmware? Mobi format books work fine on my Kobo, other than not being able to search within the book. Before I upgraded the firmware, I had issues (specifically, the font was stuck on a very small setting).
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
fmv123
fmv123 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I too have the same issue with mobi files. They are mostly gibberish and unintelligible. I have many mobi files. I know I can convert using Calibre, but I purchased the Kobo Touch because of the advertised mobi support. I have contacted customer support but am still waiting for a solution. And yes, I have the latest firmware.
fmv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are two places any format can go wrong--and one of them is the responsibility of whoever created the file to begin with. The other is how the device handles properly formatted files. I honestly don't know which is at play when Kobo handles certain mobi files really well, and others, well we know they are a mess.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I also think that Mobi formats have been through various revisions. Might it be possible that this is a mobi variant that the Kobo cannot handle.

If these are non copyrighted works, you might like to share some of them with us (and with Kobo) so these files can be investigated further.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote