Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
pop-up endnotes: glory in action

Hi

I could experience the huge difference on my Kobo Glo touchscreen (v. 2.8.1. from July 2013) between usual endnotes and pop-up endnotes. It's a life changer, the former ones being an haphazard hit and miss process (when it's recommended to use big note calls, preferably between brackets) and the latter when your ebook reader becomes suddenly very precise and smooth and does not miss any endnote, however small the endnote call can be.

The problem and the source of my question is that I can enjoy the display of pop-up endnotes only with .kepub.epub. True the pop-up window could be bigger but this is another question. What I enjoy immensely is the fact that my rate of hit and miss fell down to 0%.

The question is: what is the code?

I know kepub is a proprietary format and the files kobo.css and kobo.js have not been published. What you find when you open a .kepub.epub is a koboSpan with an id around the link and that's all. So it seems that the kepub renderer engine takes the brunt of it. But I find hard to believe that the code can be shrouded in mystery for such a "normal" thing.

I would like to include - say on an external stylesheet - a code for pop-up notes compatible with EPUB2s. Who knows something about it?

PS: the screen is indeed dirty...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	popup.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	130256  

Last edited by roger64; 10-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don't think it has anything to do with the code in the ePub; rather it has to do with HOW the ACCESS engine that is used for rendering Kobo format ePubs works.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
EPUB2 is not a valid epub if you include Javascript files, if however, you do like to try it out just use a
Code:
<div style="display:none">
And use a script to catch that and onclick display block...

Otherwise if you want that kind of pop-up in an EPUB3 you should use aside and noteref, use this tutorial

Last edited by odedta; 10-28-2014 at 05:36 PM.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@odedta

Thanks for your link and this reply. I think the problem will soon be solved.

Work on writer2xhtml EPUB converter has been resumed for two months after a two and a half years break and a brand new version 1.4 beta has been released on the 22d of October. It supports already html5 exports and will soon provide for version 1.6 a full EPUB3 support.
http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/index1.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/writer2latex/

This program is written in Java and including a script inside will be authorized.
There is also a way to do it using CSS only but it does not look so easy...
http://www.wks.fr/Creer-une-popup-100-CSS.html

Last edited by roger64; 10-28-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: link
Old 10-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

The CSS version will not work in electronic book readers because they use the :hover selector and you can't really have a pointer to hover over elements, it will however, work in pc/mac (anything with a mouse).

I really don't understand why you think this is such a big deal, it takes like 30 seconds to setup this kind of pop-up in an EPUB3
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
.../...
I really don't understand why you think this is such a big deal, it takes like 30 seconds to setup this kind of pop-up in an EPUB3
Thanks for your comments. So the CSS example is a dead end for me.

I have been fiddling uselessly for nearly two years with endnotes on my Kobo Glo using the ADE renderer. Believe me, for this reason, this is a big deal.

Even if the JS script looks simple to write (for you), between writing it and using it on my ebook reader, God put the renderer... does it mean we'll need to discard the old ADE renderer and wait either for a new version of it or install a new renderer (like say koreader)?

My knowledge about it is nil so I'll really appreciate some more comments.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
odedta
Addict

I really have no idea about Kobo, here is the code for both ways to show pop-ups:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
  <title>Demo ePub3 Popups</title>
  <script>
  function tooltip_open(x) {
      document.getElementById(x).style.display="block"; 
      }
      function tooltip_close(y) {
      document.getElementById(y).style.display="none"; 
      }
  </script>
  <style>
  .tooltip {
    background: rgb(242, 242, 242);
    border: 2px solid #a1a1a1;
    border-radius: 25px;
    display: block;
    z-index: 9999;
    position: relative;
    padding: 0 10px 0 10px;
    display: none;
  }
  </style>
</head>

<body>

<h1>Javascript example</h1>

<p><a href="#tooltip1" onclick="tooltip_open('tooltip1')">CLICK ME</a></p>

<div class="tooltip" id="tooltip1">

<p>LoL this is a popup LoL</p>

<p><a href="#close" onclick="tooltip_close('tooltip1')">[X]</a></p>

</div>

<a id="close"></a>

<h1>Aside example</h1>

<p><a epub:type="noteref" href="#n1">CLICK ME</a></p>

<aside epub:type="footnote" id="n1">

<p>LoL this is a popup LoL</p>

</aside>

</body>

</html>
Old 10-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard

Thanks a lot for this code. I will study it and make use of it as soon as possible.