Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You don't use library buildings so stuff 'em... very socially responsible but as you also vote against library funding then I take it that you don't give a damn for anyone else or worse off than yourself...
Being very socially responsible also means spending limited tax dollars wisely. Funding 27 branches is not wise spending.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #32
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Quote:
Increasing numbers of local libraries are being predominantly supported by volunteer staff... people who believe in supporting their local communities...
This is so true. I volunteer a few hours a week at the main branch (of which there are about five, total) in my city, and in the department where I work, there is only ONE full-time employee. The rest are ALL volunteers. Other departments rely heavily on people working for free, as well. Without volunteer staff, many libraries probably wouldn't have been able to hold on as long as they have.

I love libraries. Always have. Some of my fondest memories from childhood involve my mom taking me to the public library to browse and check out books. If it means volunteering for four hours per week to help keep the libraries in business, then I'll do it gladly. And there are plenty more who, like me, are willing to volunteer. Like someone else said, they aren't JUST places to check out books these days. Some branches sell used books for dirt cheap, some locations have basic skills classes and other forms of educational outreach, they provide lectures, book signings, free Internet access for those who don't have it...in other words, they're a community hub.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #33
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've never been a big library user, but I happily pay taxes toward them. I'd be willing to pay more if the money were directed toward libraries.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #34
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

To the main question of this thread “Are libraries finished?” the answer is very simple: NO!

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #35
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have become convinced lately that there is no need for me to run all over town buying my family the things that we need. I rather site back and pay a few bucks for those things to come to me. In the past few years I have set foot in approximatly 10% of the stores that I used to, simply have little need for them anymore. Have not set foot in a library in the past few years either, why bother going to the library when it comes to me at my beck and call. I see little need for physcial libraries any more, why bother twist my schedule around the library's hours when it will happily twist itself around me.

Only stores I go to anymore:

grocery stores - I know I can order these online but its not cost effective;
drug store - can do online but its next to the grocery so might as well
reasturants - Can be done online in some cases but not all, I do the ordering online where its available and go to the ones when its not
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #36
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Apologies, didn't realise until I re-read and saw tax DOLLARS... I know when I'm wasting my time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Being very socially responsible also means spending limited tax dollars wisely. Funding 27 branches is not wise spending.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #37
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Yesterday I've read a newsarticle about how about 60-70% of the libraries here are being closed.
And people are saddened because "they've lost a place to meet people".

I haven't rented a book for ages, because it's easier and faster for me to find&download the book than to go to the library. Not to mention, the collection @internet is immensely larger than the library itself.
At least I don't need to make reservations to a book, and especially don't have to cope with dried up food between the pages...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apologies, didn't realise until I re-read and saw tax DOLLARS... I know when I'm wasting my time...
The stuff doesn't grow on trees.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #39
watershawl
Enthusiast
watershawl began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Libraries could be moved into museums to share physical space, but I don't think they should go away completely - nor will they ever go away completely.
watershawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #40
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Libraries are far more important than museums and, in my opinion, each small town needs its own library that is open six days a week for at least some of each day.

Those 'with funds' don't need libraries at all. Those without do; and if they have to travel far they will simply not use them. This will leave many people cut off from wider society - even more so now that Post-Offices that aren't profitable enough are routinely shut down, despite the service they provide to the community.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #41
kbrand
Enthusiast
kbrand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
Those 'with funds' don't need libraries at all. Those without do;
You were not the first to say it, so sorry for using your quote...

What is up with all the talk about those without, less fortunate, poorer and so on. I have "funds" and I visit the library 1-2 times a week. I have money so I should quit going to the library? Maybe I should stop visiting the parks as well. I know, I can build my own roads...I have funds, and I need my library.

Our Library has made itself very culturaly relevant, and it is visited by all sorts of people. I think Libraries just need to continue to evolve and they will be fine. The can't just remain the brick and mortor places they used to be. Fortunately my library is doing an excellent job of this.
kbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #42
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
When I was a kid, till I was out of school, I spent a lot of time at the local library. Now I never go. Everything to do with reading is done on-line but not everyone has access to the internet. My mother, as a retired senior, uses it all the time as a place to get books and socialize. I hope they don't go away, I don't think they will but they will change in order to survive.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #43
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I go to the library about twice a week on average, I'd say. I've always been a big library user.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
When I was a kid, till I was out of school, I spent a lot of time at the local library. Now I never go.
Before I hooked up to the net, I went to the library several times a week. Once I got the net, I stopped going. It no longer held any interest for me.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #45
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yes.

Kinda like University too. It's a historical accident and makes no sense now that information is so widespread and readily available to all. Of course, being forced into it in exchange for a paper which says are elligible to getting a big paycheck may be more convincing than studying by yourself rather than hanging around in facebook all day long...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote