Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
geminii_77
geminii_77 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini, Bookeen CyBook Opus, Odyssey and Odyssey Frontlight
Help needed with new reader

About 5 years I ago I was looking for an ereader and decided on the Bebook Mini. I bought it second hand on ebay and it worked great for about 2 years until it got a line through the middle of the screen (it's still usable just annoying) so I went looking for a new reader.

I settled on the BeBook Club S because I loved the drag and drop file organisation.

2 years on and I'm starting to have fairly major problems with my Club S, the battery is running down quickly, it restarts for no reason, it freezes for no reason and is running really slow on the page turns.

I would like to buy a new reader but I have several criteria that must be met;
1) Drag and drop file storage.
2) Not WiFi/3G etc
3) Not more than £200.

Thanks in advance for any help.
geminii_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If you're in Europe, the Cybook e-readers have drag and drop folder style of organization. None of the big manufacturers have this functionality, bizarrely. Turn the wifi off. If you know what you're doing, you could pick up a Nook Simple Touch and root it then you can do what you want with it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
If you're in Europe, the Cybook e-readers have drag and drop folder style of organization. None of the big manufacturers have this functionality, bizarrely. Turn the wifi off. If you know what you're doing, you could pick up a Nook Simple Touch and root it then you can do what you want with it.
There's no need to root the Nook ST. You can just drag and drop files and folders into the My Files/Books folder. Then just choose the "My Files" option to view your books and you'll see your Folders.
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminii_77 View Post
AI would like to buy a new reader but I have several criteria that must be met;
1) Drag and drop file storage.
2) Not WiFi/3G etc
3) Not more than £200.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The last one is the easiest. All the 7" and less eInk ebook readers are under £200 now.

You're very unlikely to find one without Wifi. Just keep it turned off.

All the eInk ebook readers work as USB storage devices when plugged in. With all of them adding books from your computer is a case of drag and drop.

Where they differ is in their support of folder structures for navigation. The Kindle doesn't use the folder structure for navigation. I don't know about the Kobo. Perhaps a CyBook Odyssey HD suit you? I think they offer view by folder. (My Cybook Opus certainly does.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
geminii_77
geminii_77 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini, Bookeen CyBook Opus, Odyssey and Odyssey Frontlight
Thanks for the info guys, I quite like the look of the Opus rather than the Odyssey. Will look into them a little more first.
geminii_77 is offline   Reply With Quote