Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #16
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I use Calibre to do my conversion. It is not perfect epub rendition but it is pretty close to me. I basically didn't really change anything at all but one thing. In the " line up-wrapping factor" I changed it to 0.45 instead of the default 0.5 I found that advice here somewhere but I can't locate the thread now. It's been so long. The suggestion said to try anywhere from 0.35, 0.45, and 0.55. Mine PDFs looked best with 0.45 IMO. Hope this helps.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #17
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
I use Calibre to do my conversion. It is not perfect epub rendition but it is pretty close to me. I basically didn't really change anything at all but one thing. In the " line up-wrapping factor" I changed it to 0.45 instead of the default 0.5 I found that advice here somewhere but I can't locate the thread now. It's been so long. The suggestion said to try anywhere from 0.35, 0.45, and 0.55. Mine PDFs looked best with 0.45 IMO. Hope this helps.
Awesome tip, this works wonders. Some nagging paragraph breaks to deal with but totally manageable stuff. Thanks!
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
freddystewert
freddystewert began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, kindle
while Calibre and other tools like it are grate for free convertions... they just will not have the best quality, so if u are profectonist then u are ether going to have to learn a lot of crappy boring programing stuff, or u could just use a conversion company i like to use pdf to ebook converter

Last edited by freddystewert; 10-25-2011 at 06:14 PM.
freddystewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #19
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Nobody can do perfect automatic conversion of PDF to ePUB. There are some tools which are good, but they all require afterwork.
A lot of those 'conversion companies' use the same tools as we. The quality of those companies is very dependent on the afterwork. Since the afterwork takes time, this will be reflected in the price.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
Wiggle72
Wiggle72 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook opus
Hello there, this is my first post. I have just purchased a cybook opus, and I use calibre to convert from pdf to epub, I was wondering, should I do this, or should I just take the pdf files and put them in my cybook, this is for storys, star wars etc. I know I could just try but I was wondering if anyone else had any views. Also when I convert from pdf to epub, I get an opf file, should I just transfer the epub file and forget about transfering the opf file. If I just transfer the epub file without opf, what would happen, thanks.
Wiggle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You should treat the PDF like they don't exist. Ignore them or delete them. Getting them to look good on a reader with a 6" screen isn't worth your time and hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nonsense. There are plenty of ways of try to make them look good, but I wouldn't convert to ePub. Try tools like BRISS, and soPDF to divide the pages into manageable chunks. I've taken scans of triple-column textbooks and made them readable on a 6" screen.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
cakefordinner
cakefordinner began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and iPhone 4
Personally, I've given up on converting PDF to epub. "It's like a box a choclits. You nevah know whatcher gonna git." Forest Gump

It's a total crapshoot if your epub conversion is going to actually have content on the pages or be completely blank.

I did one (pdf > delete all 30+ blank pages and duplicate covers/title pages/split image pages > text > spent hours fixing all the problems (mainly spaces between letters that don't belong) > add to calibre > add book cover and all the metadata > convert.

Once was enough. I have an iPad and iPhone so I just let all the PDFs (all 2 of them, so far) go to their separate shelf. Haven't gotten up the energy to add any of my PDF cookbooks. One thing's for sure; I'm not going to bother trying to convert any of them. Even asking St. Jude to help (patron saint of hopeless cases) didn't work. LOL
cakefordinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #24
gsp
gsp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting from pdf to EPUB

Hi,

When converting from pdf to EPUB using calibre the columns are not converted correctly.

In my pdf I am having 3 column format. But after conversion it showing as a single column (3 columns - as one by one).

Please advise.

Thanks
gsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp View Post
Hi,

When converting from pdf to EPUB using calibre the columns are not converted correctly.

In my pdf I am having 3 column format. But after conversion it showing as a single column (3 columns - as one by one).

Please advise.

Thanks
If keeping the 3 column format is important, then leave it as a PDF. You're not going to be able to convert to any format and retain a multi-column style.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #26
gsp

We need to convert it into EPUB format to read from kindle device.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #27
gsp

We need to convert it into EPUB format to read from kindle device. This is our client's requirement

Is there any way to edit EPUB file after conversion.

We need to convert PDF into EPUB and MOBI.

Please advise on any other way to acheive this task

Last edited by gsp; 11-04-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp
We need to convert it into EPUB format to read from kindle device. This is our client's requirement
You can convert to epub/mobi but you're going to have to ditch the 3-column format. It's that simple. And there's still going to be a lot of manual cleanup involved with whatever conversion tool you use.

Quote:
Is there any way to edit EPUB file after conversion.
Sigil
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #29
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Thanks,
I was wondering about Abby Fine Reader. What would you say is the accuracy? I have Acrobat X1 which does an okay job on OCR,

S

Last edited by SusanM; 04-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #30
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Abbyy has improved a bit ...

As mentioned here I would use it to create HTML then do the afterwork to clean it up. Then use sigil to make an ePub.

Another way is to use Abby to make an RTF, then use Toxaris' word cleanup macro to make a clean HTML. Then sigil to make ePub.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote