Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Gremalkin
Gremalkin began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Connect 2 PE's together to transfer files via bluetooth or other?

We have several PE's in our family and would like to be able to connect them directly to transfer files rather than use a PC/LAN or swap microSD cards.

I have played with both wireless and bluetooth to get this working, to no avail.

I am thinking bluetooth is the way to go, here is what I've done:

Note: I have been trying this with a PE with Ermine official (0.9) install and one with pablob's Golden Allmine (rc3).

-I've been able to get 2 devices paired with bluetooth, but not connected - shown under Bluetooth Settings in OS Settings menu. (Had to uninstall Pandora as mentioned in another thread to avoid bluetooth turning on and off on rc3.)
-I tried the Bluetooth File Transfer program (versions 4.3 and 5.2), but as soon as I run it (only tried on rc3) it has the bluetooth on/off problem: once bluetooth is turned on via the program or under Settings and the program is running, it keeps turning bluetooth off then on then off then on. This produces a lot of popup messages that get annoying rather quickly! :-)
-ES File explorer (v. 1.6.1.6) has a bluetooth tab, in which the other device appears; but when I click on the device on either PE, I get 'Network path not found or time out, Please try again' message after 'getting file list' is displayed for a few seconds.

Yes, I have rebooted both devices several times during these experiments. I can post more detail if needed, just thought someone might have already done this and have a solution. TIA

Side question: Does a device have to be rooted (superuser?) in order to do this? My Ermine 0.9 device is NOT rooted, but I would prefer it that way, as the user is a 10 year old.
Gremalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I don't think you are going to be able to do what you want with the bluetooth implementation on the PE - I'm ready to stand corrected if someone has done it

By far the better way would be to have an FTP Server on each device and use it and es-file explorer to transfer files via a WiFi link.

The WiFi router should give each device an IP address and with the FTP Server running, ES File Explorer FTP tab should allow you to log on to each unit. You can also use FileZilla on your PC to download from the edges.

I use SwiFTP on my EE to allow me to download from it to clients machines and ES File Explorer to connect to my two company and home FTP servers. I have been using this setup from day two of owning my EE and have not found any problems and yes we do have login security enabled on all servers.

If you need details of how to set this up just ask and I'll look up my notes. As an aside you don't need root privileges to set up FTP.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You could also use a SugarSync or DropBox account.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
songoffire
songoffire began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Great suggestion Serena, Dropbox works great on my Edge for syncing / sharing files with my desktop, phone, and edge. You can even use dropbox to sync Calibre libraries and other application data, as another poster shared: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177506
songoffire is offline   Reply With Quote