Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Large format readers, less user friendly

I've noticed most large format readers are less comfortable to hold, buttons usually are at awkward places, etc etc...

If I look at the Astak EZreader Pro, or the Jetbook Mini, they spent a lot of time figuring out where to put the batteries, where to hold it, where the fingers of a hand holding the device would be, and where to place their buttons!

Not so with larger readers! They generally have all buttons at the bottom, very few, if not none, at the side, few at the top.

Page flipping is unnatural unless you hold a reader only on the bottom. I like to hold readers on the side, as holding them on the bottom some (like the Jetbook Color) are too heavy (they'd fall forward all the time).

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-19-2012 at 02:35 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I find the buttons on my PocketBook 902 are pretty well placed. It doesn't have a touchscreen, so buttons are the only way to interact with it. Maybe the designers give their placement a bit more thought when that's the case.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
how many different large format readers have you held in hand ProDigit?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I've seen the Kindle, Jetbook COlor, and a few tablets.
All of them are the same.
I've also looked at the M92, it's buttons are somewhat better placed indeed.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so 2 then.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
so 2 then.
How many more are there on the market?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The Kindle DX has the page turn buttons on the right side of the device, and my Boox M90 has the page turn buttons on the left side of the device. It also has the little IR button that can be used to turn the page on the right, but it's so flaky I never use it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I've never had any issues with my DX. I just wish it had v3 of the software.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
No problem with my DX either. It's thin, lightweight and the buttons on the right side work well. It's my go-to reader at home.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
How many more are there on the market?

i have personally tried something like 15? maybe more like 20 after finishing this paragraph, not even counting iterations of the same device. on the market currently are 5 i think. Kindle DXG, PocketBook 9xx, Onyx M9x, Hanvon E90, Hanvon C90, Ectaco Jetbook Color. oh see thats 6 right there and there are at least 3 more that are probably available if i look around. That Asus one, Hanlin and Boeye. So that makes probably 9 currently on the market.

Not counting the PL 100 available only to Russian teachers and school kids. Also not counting Brother and Ricoh which are only available to their corporate clients and might not still be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
...my Boox M90 has the page turn buttons on the left side of the device. It also has the little IR button that can be used to turn the page on the right, but it's so flaky I never use it.
and of course you can turn it over and use it with the buttons on the other side.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I did not know that there were that many large eReaders on the market. In Sweden we have none, that is why I was baffled.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I wish kindle dx had buttons on both sides like kindle keyboard. I change the page orientation very frequently because of lack of this. I sometimes like to turn pages with my right hand and sometimes with my left hand.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I did not know that there were that many large eReaders on the market. In Sweden we have none, that is why I was baffled.
pocketbook and Onyx devices should be easily available to you

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/de

and http://www.ereader-store.de/ sells both brands
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

and of course you can turn it over and use it with the buttons on the other side.

I tried this, and the buttons were backwards, which was weird. I'm OK with the page turn being on the left side.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I find the buttons on my PocketBook 902 are pretty well placed. It doesn't have a touchscreen, so buttons are the only way to interact with it.
I would agree with you if I were a right-hander. But as a left-hander I find turning pages on my Pocketbook 902 not so convenient.

Quote:
Kindle DXG, PocketBook 9xx, Onyx M9x, Hanvon E90, Hanvon C90, Ectaco Jetbook Color.
Not on the market anymore, but still available second hand: the good old iRex 1000. It has three quite big keys on every side (backwards, forwards, enter) and for me it has the best ergonomics of all the big readers (but that's of course a personal impression).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote