Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
rkbhere
Edge User

Cool Found an AC Adapter that fits the Pocket eDGe

After searching around for several weeks, I have finally found an adapter that fits the pocket eDGe. The eDGe store does not carry the same type adapter as ships with the pocket eDGe. According to technical support, the same adapter used for the full size eDGe can be used on the pocket, but why carry around a big brick adapter if the device doesn't need it?

The Powerline Universal AC Adapter with USB power port provides 3-12V settings and up to 1300mA output, as well as standard 5V USB output. But the best news is one of the included plugs FITS.

Don't know if this provides enough power to be used on the full sized eDGE, but it works great on the pocket.

It is available at Wal-Mart (in store and on-line) for around $19.00

Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

Great find! Just to clarify, is this it (Amazon link)? (It showed up as an Amazon hit, but now I'm not so sure since it doesn't show up when I look for PowerLine products specifically).

Could someone please comment as to whether this could work for the larger edge, too, based on the specs?

rkbhere, is one of the included tips a Nokia tip, by any chance? (If you have a way of figuring that out.)

Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
rkbhere
Edge User

Yes, that is the same one, guess there are a couple names for the same company. If you zoom in on the picture it does say Powerline on the adapter itself.

Don't know about the Nokia, it does have a smaller tip that looks similar to the newer nokia size, but I don't have a Nokia phone to check it on.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Could someone please comment as to whether this could work for the larger edge, too, based on the specs?
1300mA is equal to 1.3A, the full size edge adapter output is 2.5A.It would charge, but take almost twice as long. I think this little adapter is meant for phones and PDA type devices. Good find for PE owners and the USB port is a plus.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
1300mA is equal to 1.3A, the full size edge adapter output is 2.5A.It would charge, but take almost twice as long.
Actually it doesn't quite work that way. The current rating in amperes relates to what the power supply is capable of supplying, and charging the battery almost certainly doesn't draw 2.5 amps. As long as the charging circuit draws less than 1.3A (and I would be pretty sure of this) then there will be no noticeable difference between charging with either the EE brick or the 1.3A adapter in the post. My empirical experience with using the PE adapter (which is rated at 1.0A) to charge my full sized EE is that charging time is no different than with the brick supplied with the EE. Admittedly I don't have quantitative data (charging times or amps drawn) to back up this statement.

The best thing about this thread is that to my knowledge, this is the only commercially available third party tip we know about that fits the Entourage devices.

Last edited by alefor; 01-22-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

You can tell I'm not a science major right? But when I charge something with a charger that has a rating less than the original charger has it does not work, for instance I tried to use a charger that had a 400mAmp rating with a product that has a charger rated 1A, it did register not being charged (the charging light indicator did not light). And cell phone manufacturers warn that a charger with a higher rating can damage the product. That was my reasoning.

As for the tip, I was able to get one that works with my XPal -Energizer Energi to Go battery. But, it took the company 5 tries to get it right.http://tipfinder.xpalpower.com/02tip...&model=eDGe%20

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 01-22-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
myst
Edge User

I have the full size and was planning a trip to walmart tonight. I will let you know.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
thenzero
Edge User

Hey, great find, I will buy one shortly for my EE. I signed up for the forum just to say that my Minigorilla also came with a tip that fits the EE, and it charges the device.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
thenzero
Edge User

Purchased. Seems to work fine. Also came with tips that fit the Minigorilla and my ASUS T101mt. Word of warning to anyone else who goes to buy this- Wal-mart also had a 600 mA version that looks identical, but will almost assuredly not work. Read the label carefully.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
sarah11918
Edge User

Thanks for reporting back, thenzero. It's great to know the options that will work.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
zed
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenzero View Post
Purchased. Seems to work fine. Also came with tips that fit the Minigorilla and my ASUS T101mt. Word of warning to anyone else who goes to buy this- Wal-mart also had a 600 mA version that looks identical, but will almost assuredly not work. Read the label carefully.
Thank goodness for their return policy!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
JobooNeedsARefill
Edge User

If folks are still interested in finding a compatible a/c adapter, I had an old Logitech speaker dock for my ipod. Tried logitech a/c adapter with the PE and it fit and charged in about the same amount of time as the adapter included with the PE.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
televisi
Edge User

JobooNeedsARefill, What's the model Number / type?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
JobooNeedsARefill
Edge User

It was the adapter that came with the Logitech mm50 portable speaker for IPod

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
EasyReader59
Edge User

I purchased this charger (PowerLine with multiple plugs) for my PE but what polarity is correct, positive or negative? I was reading if I had the tip wrong, it could damage my device.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by EasyReader59; 03-03-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Did not mention product