Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
bokolobs
Enthusiast
bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: NST, DX, PW1, Voyage, Oasis (1 week), Kobo Aura One (1 week)
i recommend:

A Sportsman's Sketches by Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8597
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8744

There is something christmassy about this book for me, sitting up in bed with a scotch or coffee on the night stand while devouring the short pieces. i read it every year.

“The first of Turgenev’s masterpieces . . . A Sportman’s Notebook conveys the vastness and beauty of rural Russia. It shows also the eccentricity, cruelty and nobility of many of its inhabitants . . . [Turgenev] was a careful writer, alive to each nuance of language and subtlety of style.”
—from the Introduction by Max Egremont

and also, @dreams The Brothers Karamazov for Christmas?! Really?! Not unless you want to compound your depression and finally kill yourself. Respect..
Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #17
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokolobs View Post
i recommend:
A Sportsman's Sketches by Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev <snip>
added to above nominations in post #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokolobs View Post
and also, @dreams The Brothers Karamazov for Christmas?! Really?! Not unless you want to compound your depression and finally kill yourself. Respect..
Hey, I just keep track of nominations and put in links.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
I recommend:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1400

Charles Dickens is one of my favourite writers and the first person who comes to mind when some one says the word "classics". In Great Expectations we have the story of Pip, an orphan being raised in a working class background by his sister and her husband. He is set on course to become a well off gentleman by a mystery benefactor. On his journey from childhood to adult life he encounters many facets of human society and life, including a strange love and learns what truly matters in life.

The narrative is in the first person and really pulls you into the story. It has some of Dicken's best crafted and complex characters and is full of vividly described scenes and landscapes from the countryside to Victorian London, which create great atmosphere. The first line:

"My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip."
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I second "Call of the Wild" by Jack London
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I also second "Great Expectations."
Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #21
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I nominate "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. Available for free in these places.

"Secrets, mistaken identities, surprise revelations, amnesia, locked rooms and locked asylums, and an unorthodox villain made this mystery thriller an instant success when it first appeared in 1860, and it has continued to enthrall readers ever since. From the hero’s foreboding before his arrival at Limmeridge House to the nefarious plot concerning the beautiful Laura, the breathtaking tension of Collins’s narrative created a new literary genre of suspense fiction, which profoundly shaped the course of English popular writing." (Amazon)
Old 11-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #22
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
walden sounds good to me!
It's also available on MR as an ePub, though the ePub also has six other essays as well.

Regards, Alex

Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of Civil Disobedience and other essays.

I apologise for any inconvenience.

Last edited by AlexBell; 11-21-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Misinfomration corrected.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #23
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
I nominate "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. Available for free in these places.

"Secrets, mistaken identities, surprise revelations, amnesia, locked rooms and locked asylums, and an unorthodox villain made this mystery thriller an instant success when it first appeared in 1860, and it has continued to enthrall readers ever since. From the hero’s foreboding before his arrival at Limmeridge House to the nefarious plot concerning the beautiful Laura, the breathtaking tension of Collins’s narrative created a new literary genre of suspense fiction, which profoundly shaped the course of English popular writing." (Amazon)
Also available as an ePub on MR

Regards, Alex
Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 AM   #24
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Nominations updated in post #7.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:27 AM   #25
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I second "Call of the Wild" by Jack London
I'll third that one..
Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #26
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I also second "Great Expectations."
I'll also third this one..
Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #27
lene1949
Wizard

For my third I would like to nominate the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas...

From Amazon:

Quote:
Set against the tumultuous years of the post-Napoleonic era, The Count of Monet Cristo recounts the swashbuckling adventures of Edmond Dantes, a dashing young sailor falsely accused of treason. The story of his long imprisonment, dramatic escape, and carefully wrought revenge offers up a vision of France that has become immortal.
ETA... To me this is the greatest classic of all times... I read it probably 4 years ago on my Palm Zire 72, and would love to read it again on a larger reader.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #28
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas...
I Second that one
Old 11-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
Good enough!

Walden, by Henry David Thoreau

One of the great books of American letters and a masterpiece of reflective philosophizing. Accounts of Thoreau's daily life on the shores of Walden Pond outside Concord, Massachusetts, are interwoven with musings on the virtues of self-reliance and individual freedom, on society, government, and other topics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
walden sounds good to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Is this a 3rd for this book?

I'm updating nominations in post #7.
Just to be sure, I'll third Walden.

I'll also add a second for The Brothers Karamazov.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #30
adityadubey
Addict

Hmm, and I shall third "The Brothers Karmazov" as well. There, done with my votes, now I can get back to reading all of these
This is gonna be one difficult poll to vote on.
Closed Thread