Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
eredr
eredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo
transferring highlights onto other ereaders

Hello

I currently load my ebooks (which I have purchased from different sources) onto my Kobo using Calibre and alf, as is instructed on the forum

As I read my books I highlight text and I am wondering whether, if I were to buy a new ereader in the not too distant future, whether Kobo or another brand, whether there would be a way I could transfer the books including my highlighted text to the new ereader - say using Calibre?

I can't seem to find the answer on here from my search - apologies if this is answered in a thread somewhere

Many thanks
eredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In general, no.

I believe there is a way of exporting your highlights from Kobo as a text file (ask in the Kobo forum for details), but there would be no way of transferring them to a different device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As Harry said, in general no. There is no general standard for annotations used, and basically the device manufacturers make no allowance for interoperability.

For the Kobo devices, the annotations are stored in a database, and it is possible to transfer data between them. It's a manual process and really just suitable for moving to a new device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might want to ask over at the KOReader Forum as KOReader has both a "progress sync" feature and a "ZSync feature" to move books/documents between devices running KOReader. I think the .sdr files are included in the file transfer, but it is not something I have checked on lately.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
eredr
eredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enougheredr will become famous soon enough

Thank you very much everyone! I had wondered whether it was possible to do it using Calibre but I will ask at the Kobo forum

Does anyone know if some ereaders more interoperable than others in this way?
Advert
Old 11-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not really, no. There is no standard - it's as simple as that.

Both Amazon and Kobo allow you to export your highlights. That's pretty much as much as you can do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eredr View Post
Thank you very much everyone! I had wondered whether it was possible to do it using Calibre but I will ask at the Kobo forum
The Annotations plugin can fetch the annotations from Kobo and Kindle ereaders and some other places. But, it stores them as HTML and has no way to restore them later. This is by design. There are no automated methods of doing this that I know of.
Quote:
Does anyone know if some ereaders more interoperable than others in this way?
See my answer above. That means "NO".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #8
eredr

Ok thanks again, good to know!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I did this one time and thought never again. It was very complicated. I think it was from a Sony to another. I could explain what I remember of the process but suffice to say it was time consuming and involved transferring note files onto my computer, going into them and reformatting and then adding them to the new device. Calibre was part of the process.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 AM   #10
eredr

Good to know thanks. Sounds like too much hassle. Maybe some day it will be easy to do!