Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #31
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
If there is enough interest we could add a dedicated Ebookwise forum. The only thing we should avoid is creating forums sections that appear abandoned or hardly visited.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #32
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There seems to be plenty of traffic regarding the eBookwise.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
If there is enough interest we could add a dedicated Ebookwise forum. The only thing we should avoid is creating forums sections that appear abandoned or hardly visited.
There seems to be a need for two. One for topics and one for eBooks. Some are complaining the misc eBook category is getting overwhelmed by IMP files.

One thing I do not think MobileRead wants is to discourage purchasers by implying that the unit they might want to buy is discontinued and not supported. I have seen a few posts in other forums saying that this forum has it stuck in legacy devices so it must be obsolete. I do realize that it is older than most but it fills a niche in the marketplace for an inexpensive reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #34
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm I see. Good point. Perhaps we should find a better name to replace "legacy"?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm afraid that you'd run into the same issue no matter what you replaced "legacy" with.

I mean, either it's a 'current' device or it's not ...

Unless you want to go with something like "E-Ink Devices" and "LCD Devices" ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #36
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Unless you want to go with something like "E-Ink Devices" and "LCD Devices" ....
Ahhh, but then there is the Sony Librie reader...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, yes, then there's that.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The devices that aren't still being sold are legacy devices. But the eBw 1150 is still being sold, and a fairly major ebook company (Fictionwise) still has new offerings for it. So I don't think it is a legacy device. It's the least expensive currently available device out there, if I'm not mistaken-- a great gateway device for those who aren't sure about ebooks. I think it deserves its own forum.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 AM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The devices that aren't still being sold are legacy devices. But the eBw 1150 is still being sold....
Assuming that you mean being sold by a company rather than "sold on e-bay by random people," that's a very good point. Even if they're selling a huge warehouse full of back-stock they are still selling them ... un-used.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Assuming that you mean being sold by a company rather than "sold on e-bay by random people," that's a very good point. Even if they're selling a huge warehouse full of back-stock they are still selling them ... un-used.
But its storage media (SM cards) are no longer manufactured; that, to my mind, puts it firmly in the "legacy" camp.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #41
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'd agree that it puts the media in the "legacy" category, but I'm not sure that convinces me that the device belongs there.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #42
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd agree that it puts the media in the "legacy" category, but I'm not sure that convinces me that the device belongs there.
Actually this problem faces all units. Components in a system get obsoleted all the time.

Is the Sony obsolete since the SD controller card cannot accept the new SD standard SDHC cards? Any while we are talking about this line of reasoning when will the Sony PRS-500 drop to the legacy group.

Many of the other eINK devices are even worse on SD card support using controllers and drivers that can only use SD cards up to 1 Meg. These controllers have not been built since 2003/4 I believe.

There is no problem with eBookwise memory since eBookwise will still supply the memory in the device so most users never even need to worry about it. Most users are not that technical that it even matters. (unless you happen to brick the card)

The criteria should be something other than some of the parts are obsolete or even if the unit is obsolete (PRS-500 case).

Dale
Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually this problem faces all units. Components in a system get obsoleted all the time.

Is the Sony obsolete since the SD controller card cannot accept the new SD standard SDHC cards?
The difference is that non-SDHC cards are still made, and will continue to be made for the foreseeable future. Once existing stockpiles of SM cards are sold, there are no more. I don't know when that'll happen, but it's going to happen at some point.

Quote:
Any while we are talking about this line of reasoning when will the Sony PRS-500 drop to the legacy group.
It's a "Sony Portable Reader" forum. Virtually all the stuff in it applies equally to the 500 and the 505. Had Sony stopped making the 500 and not replaced it, we would have moved it to the "Legacy Devices" forum, as we have done with the Librie.

Quote:
Many of the other eINK devices are even worse on SD card support using controllers and drivers that can only use SD cards up to 1 Meg. These controllers have not been built since 2003/4 I believe.
I don't believe you are correct in saying that. The smallest capacity device I'm aware of is the iLiad, which only supports MMC cards rather than SD, and they only go up to 1GB. I don't know of any device which has supported 1MB cards. What did you have in mind? [The iLiad also supports CF cards up to at least 4GB, so its MMC card limit is of no practical importance.]

Quote:
There is no problem with eBookwise memory since eBookwise will still supply the memory in the device so most users never even need to worry about it. Most users are not that technical that it even matters. (unless you happen to brick the card)
I agree with you. I only ever used the internal memory in my Sony Reader. I am using an SD card with my CyBook Gen3, because one can usefully use the internal memory for other things, such as fonts.

Quote:
The criteria should be something other than some of the parts are obsolete or even if the unit is obsolete (PRS-500 case).
OK, another critereon: What current DRM formats does the device support? If the answer is "none", that suggests to me that it's not considered to be an "active" device by the book retailers.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
OK, another critereon: What current DRM formats does the device support? If the answer is "none", that suggests to me that it's not considered to be an "active" device by the book retailers.
What DRM does the star eBook support? This is a funny criteria as most people think lack of DRM is a good thing. NAEB even made this one of their original requirements (but changed at the last moment).

I am not sure why Fictionwise dropped DRM on the eBookwise device. It originally had some support for this. Does anybody know?

Dale
Old 12-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
What DRM does the star eBook support? This is a funny criteria as most people think lack of DRM is a good thing. NAEB even made this one of their original requirements (but changed at the last moment).
Sorry; how can the lack of ability to buy the books that you may wish to buy be considered a good thing? I'd love to be able to buy a device which supports ALL the popular DRM formats. Unfortunately, other than reading on a PC (which isn't my idea of fun) if one buys a dedicated device one is forced to select one and only one DRM format. As I've said on a number of occasions, it was Bookeen's support for the mobi format (and its DRM) which heavily influenced my decision to buy it.

Quote:
I am not sure why Fictionwise dropped DRM on the eBookwise device. It originally had some support for this. Does anybody know?
I believe they still support it in their DRM-free "multi-format" books, don't they? And Baen support it too, of course (but they don't use DRM at all, of course!).