Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
Why, despite the reviews, I still want a Nook

Due to Christmas wishlist mixups, I'm not due to receive my Nook until the early part of January. I have visited my nearby B&N to give it a test drive, and I admit that I found it to be workable, yet lackluster. It is not now a gamechanger, and regardless of firmware updates, may never be.

But I still want it over my 2nd choice of Kindle.

Disclaimer to Kindle owners: I am not claming the Nook to be better, now or in the future, than your Kindle. Choosing the Nook over the Kindle was a very difficult decision - and may in the end prove right or wrong... FOR ME.

I believe the financial investment and backing of the Nook make it essential that it not fail. For that reason I believe B&N will do everythign it can to make Nook "right". My opinion is that the delays were due to the software, and B&N, being new to the software development game, fell into the common trap of not realizing how tough those last bugs are to quash.

My ereader wishlist:
I want an ereader with WiFi.
I want an ereader with replacable battery.
I want an ereader with an open OS.
I want an ereader without a keyboard increasing it's size.
I want an ereader that reads epub and pdf.

The Nook offers all of this, in an as-yet unpolished implementation. Think back to the original iRex, Sony, or Kindle releases and compare them to the functionality of those same devices today following the inevitable firmware updates. Almost light and day.

I expect the same from the Nook, and am willing to bet $50 that I'm right. Why do I say $50, not $250? Because even B&N does nothing to improve the Nook, I'll still be able to find a buyer on eBay.

My $50 is gambling that:
B&N is going to address the current speed and UI problems.
Independant programmers are going to allow me to use WiFi to surf the net and access my home computer.
Independant programmers are going to give me meat and candy that I can't yet predict, software that will make my Nook as invaluable to me as my Smartphone -- perhaps even taking it's place (short of the phone's nifty ability to place phone calls.)

Yeah, I had hoped to be wowed. I wasn't. But I have not yet given up hope.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post

My ereader wishlist:
You want what you want and that's all that matters, so get your nook and be happy.

BTW, the nook is just slightly smaller in height and width so the issue with the keyboard isn't really valid. If you want that area to be used for more than just a keyboard then the nook is the way to go!

Please let us know how much you love it when you get it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
LessPaul, I would like to pay a compliment to you for the way in which you chose to post your reasons for having chosen a nook over its competition.

If everyone acted as you have, there would be more harmony between the two (or three) major players of Readers out there, and the people who love the ebook readers that are different from the nook.

So: BRAVO to you for your very nice post!

Don (Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Good -and valid - points. I was really hooked on getting a Nook too and the fianly decision was the fact of availability (getting a pig-in-a-poke) and the touch screen keyboard. My fat fingers just have no luck at all with non-keyed keyboards. And annotation is a MUST have for me.

The Kindle DX's screen size put me over the top. For normal reading the 5 or 6 inch screens are more than adequate but for studying and intense reading being able to glance back up a large portion of the page was hat I wanted.

Good luck - I hope you have a good experience with the nook.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I have to say nice post.

For me I never felt at home thinking about using or using a kindle. It was the choices Amazon made in how they deal with their books. That was the deal breaker with the Nook. I look at it as I get the best of both worlds, Freedom and control of my content, with the backing of B&N's supply of e-books.

I would normally go for something like an I-Rex or DX, but ruled it out as I have a X-61 tablet for looking at larger print/graphic technical manuals.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
so far most eReaders's including the Kindle use linux which is an open OS and to further exemplify this point the Android OS was built on top of Linux. So your open OS is a mute point.

Also all ereaders support PDF.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Due to Christmas wishlist mixups, I'm not due to receive my Nook until the early part of January. I have visited my nearby B&N to give it a test drive, and I admit that I found it to be workable, yet lackluster. It is not now a gamechanger, and regardless of firmware updates, may never be.
But I still want it over my 2nd choice of Kindle.
Disclaimer to Kindle owners: I am not claming the Nook to be better, now or in the future, than your Kindle. Choosing the Nook over the Kindle was a very difficult decision - and may in the end prove right or wrong... FOR ME.
I believe the financial investment and backing of the Nook make it essential that it not fail. For that reason I believe B&N will do everythign it can to make Nook "right". My opinion is that the delays were due to the software, and B&N, being new to the software development game, fell into the common trap of not realizing how tough those last bugs are to quash.
My ereader wishlist:
The Nook offers all of this, in an as-yet unpolished implementation. Think back to the original iRex, Sony, or Kindle releases and compare them to the functionality of those same devices today following the inevitable firmware updates. Almost light and day.
I expect the same from the Nook, and am willing to bet $50 that I'm right. Why do I say $50, not $250? Because even B&N does nothing to improve the Nook, I'll still be able to find a buyer on eBay.
My $50 is gambling that:
B&N is going to address the current speed and UI problems.
Independant programmers are going to allow me to use WiFi to surf the net and access my home computer.
Independant programmers are going to give me meat and candy that I can't yet predict, software that will make my Nook as invaluable to me as my Smartphone -- perhaps even taking it's place (short of the phone's nifty ability to place phone calls.)
Yeah, I had hoped to be wowed. I wasn't. But I have not yet given up hope.
let me five you a word of advise, as I worked in the SW/electronic industry for years. One should never buy a product in the promise or expectation that software will be fixed in future versions. While it is tech possible today it is not always feasable or even possible for the company. Further more my expectation from a company that is not in the software in doing so is not very high. Mind you I do believe they will do it just not confidence in their ability.

My advise , since you have your mind set on the nook is to wait it out and see what releases they come up with. There is no need to rush out and buy a product especially when you are not happy with the device as is. Sure your 100% confident they will fix all issues but the wait in the mean time will be painful.

In the end it's your decision and you can spend your hard earn cash any way you wish.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
LessPaul
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
so far most eReaders's including the Kindle use linux which is an open OS and to further exemplify this point the Android OS was built on top of Linux. So your open OS is a mute point.

Also all ereaders support PDF.
Neither are moot points. They were my requirements, and the Nook meets them both. That other, or all, ereaders also meet those requirements are part of what made the selection process difficult.

Quote:
let me five you a word of advise, as I worked in the SW/electronic industry for years. One should never buy a product in the promise or expectation that software will be fixed in future versions. While it is tech possible today it is not always feasable or even possible for the company. Further more my expectation from a company that is not in the software in doing so is not very high. Mind you I do believe they will do it just not confidence in their ability.

My advise , since you have your mind set on the nook is to wait it out and see what releases they come up with. There is no need to rush out and buy a product especially when you are not happy with the device as is. Sure your 100% confident they will fix all issues but the wait in the mean time will be painful.

In the end it's your decision and you can spend your hard earn cash any way you wish.
=X=
I appreciate the advice, and having made my living for the last 30 years as a software developer, I have seen plenty of vaporware wishes evaporate.

On one point I should clarify: I find the current firmware implementation of the Nook acceptable, but less than what I had hoped for. Barring a more suitable device for my individual needs, it remains the best answer.

However, I do indeed believe the Nook will be improved, as the history of the iRex, the Sony, and the Kindle have shown. Is it a sure thing? Certainly not. Is it likely? I believe so, for the reasons I outlined in my original post.

Last edited by LessPaul; 12-14-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
LessPaul
Connoisseur

How do I delete a post?

Last edited by LessPaul; 12-14-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
How do I delete a post?
I just sent you a PM.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Good points. I went back and forth on both. I had a Kindle, sold it on eBay, and got my nook last week but didn't open it. I poured over reviews, watched videos, went into the store. I like it a lot. It is really nice and the negative reviews are way overboard in my opinion. However, the one thing I cannot get past that many people only gloss over is the poor battery life. Even if it is user replaceable (and you need a screwdriver) it is inconvenient and an added expense. My Kindle would last for weeks without needing a charge. It was nice knowing that whenever I would pick it up, itwould work without needing more juice.

With that said, I applaud your commitment. I was there, just couldn't justify it for my use, especially coming from a Kindle. Sold it on Craigslist and bought another Kindle with enough money left over to buy a bunch of eBooks. If, in a few months I change my mind, Kindle eBay prices have held firm.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
I believe he wants an open OS so it can be modified. Just because it runs Linux does not mean it can be easily modified. Take the Cybook Gen 3. The OS partition is not user accessible. If you were to build the base OS from source as provided by Bookeen, there is no way to install the result onto the device. Bookeen has also made the firmware upgrade processes very difficult to do anything other than upgrade to another version of their provided firmware. So in the sense an open OS being a modifiable OS this is not a moot point.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I am in a similar boat. I currently have a Sony Reader (PRS-505), and am very happy with it. However, my main complaint is that Sony's bookstore has horrible selection and worse prices. I've been eyeing a Kindle for some time, but I really don't like having a keyboard on the face of the unit (and yes, I have used a Kindle 2). When the Nook was announced, it seemed to check all of my boxes:

Wireless bookstore? Check.
Good selection and prices? Check. (I have 120 ebooks in an Amazon wishlist - 100 of them were the same price or cheaper from B&N.)
Reads my existing ePubs? Check.
Syncs last-read place with an iPhone app? Check.
Bonus - reads the eReader books I've purchased since 2001? Check!

I went into a store and used one for about half an hour. Pros: Store browsing and purchasing experience was good (of course, I "purchased" a free book); font size/selection was nice; feel of the unit was good; eInk screen was great (no surprise there) and the page turning speed wasn't an issue for me. Cons: I crashed it once (trying to change fonts); the "formatting" message whenever you open a book (not just the first time); and getting used to how the touchscreen responded.

The Nook is on my christmas wishlist (no idea if it or a certificate will be under the tree). If I don't get it for Christmas, I'll likely buy one next year. Even if B&N never updates the firmware, I think the Nook is a great eReader. However, I fully expect over the next several months that B&N will correct many of the deficiencies of the current software, which should make it a very capable competitor to the Kindle and Sony.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
Syncs last-read place with an iPhone app? Check.
Uhm, as far as I know not yet, still work in progress. And as far as I remember sync support has only been promised for the B&N store bought books, not the side-loaded content which kind of sucks (it would be harder but still possible to implement should B&N wish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I believe he wants an open OS so it can be modified. Just because it runs Linux does not mean it can be easily modified.
Well, at least with nook you can take easily available (as both binary and source) apps and load them on nook. For other e-ink devices it's not the case.

Last edited by stangri; 12-17-2009 at 09:47 PM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #15
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Uhm, as far as I know not yet, still work in progress. And as far as I remember sync support has only been promised for the B&N store bought books, not the side-loaded content which kind of sucks (it would be harder but still possible to implement should B&N wish).
True, it is still coming, but I have no reason to believe it won't be implemented. As far as only syncing BN books, my understanding is that the same is true of the Kindle, which is fair enough. I have no expectation it will work on any ebook device with "sideloaded" content.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote