Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
USA Today Reviews the Nook

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...aig10_ST_N.htm

Quote:
Barnes & Noble doesn't need to introduce a newer Nook quite that fast, though the first version does feel unfinished and sluggish. Still, it has enormous upside and novel features.
So, is that everyone?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That's one of the kinder reviews I've seen so far. Most reviewers have really ragged on the speed, although the new Nook owners here don't seem as fazed by the speed factor, and tend to say the criticism is overblown. My Nook is scheduled to ship tomorrow, so I'll soon be finding out for myself how the Nook stacks up.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That's one of the kinder reviews I've seen so far. Most reviewers have really ragged on the speed, although the new Nook owners here don't seem as fazed by the speed factor, and tend to say the criticism is overblown. My Nook is scheduled to ship tomorrow, so I'll soon be finding out for myself how the Nook stacks up.
It is! Although his Twitter link to that article did say: "Nook is promising but stick with Kindle for now."
Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It is! Although his Twitter link to that article did say: "Nook is promising but stick with Kindle for now."
Since I also own a Kindle; I'll soon know, for better or worse, if that was good advice!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Since I also own a Kindle; I'll soon know, for better or worse, if that was good advice!
I am of the firm belief that there is no such thing as too many eBook readers around the house.
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I am of the firm belief that there is no such thing as too many eBook readers around the house.
That's an attitude I can get behind!! It's not an either/or proposition - if I had my way, I'd have one of everything out there.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
That's an attitude I can get behind!! It's not an either/or proposition - if I had my way, I'd have one of everything out there.
Oh yes! I have no intention of shipping my K2 off to the farm!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I got my nook yesterday. I have a few books that I bought from B&N and I copied some of the epub books that I bought from Baen books on to the nook to see how things worked. As a point of reference, I have a Kindle 1 and a Sony PRS-505 in addition to the nook. I do most of my reading on the Sony.

I really can't tell much of a speed difference between the three units once the book is loaded and I'm turning from page to page. Starting the nook up from an off position rather than a screen saver position does take while, but then again, so does the Sony. Changing font sizes is much faster on the nook.

As far as I can tell, there just isn't a noticeable difference in the reading experience between the big 3 (Sony, Kindle and Nook). I think that the Sony is a bit more ergonomic than the nook, but the nook is more ergonomic than the kindle. I plan to take my nook with me to B&N this weekend to see what it's like in the store.

The big reason that my Sony will probably remain my main reading device is that it has a much better method of organizing my books. I like to have my entire library available to me (i.e. 1000+ e-books) and I like to organize the books that is in my to be read queue so I can access them easily (usually 20+).

My ideal would be to have my library on a memory chip and be able to copy books to the main memory of the e-reader as well as delete from the e-reader.

Last edited by pwalker8; 12-10-2009 at 09:47 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
now, slowly i am reading lots of reviews for the nook. thanks for sharing this one. would love to hear more from the others.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I played with the nook at B&N earlier today, and was pleasantly surprised. While it was slow, I didn't feel it was enough slower than the Sony units I've seen to make a difference. The unit as a whole I was rather liked - aesthetically it was good, and the casing and weighting was nice.

I also was pleasantly surprised to find that while the LCD's cover flow mode was nothing like the iPhone, it is certainly usable.

If I didn't want a bigger screen I would definitely consider the nook an excellent entry to the ebook reader lineup.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #11
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Its kind of hard to beleive what certain publications have to say about the nook because the kindle has "exclusive" rights to certain publications....you will learn
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
At the risk of sounding like I want to completely shove any possible failings of the nook under the rug to avoid a "bad buzz".

Some of the reviews I read(Wired >.>) had a few facts incorrect, such as the wifi only working in BN stores myth.

A lot of the most negative reviews I have seen are done by publications that do not specialize in electronics, so I take them with a grain of salt, just like anything else printed by the New York Times...

I am not saying that we are seeing biased reviews, just that this is a multi-sided front. In general techie sites liked it the most, but at the same time it can be argued that they may not have thoroughly looked it over.

My big justification for owning it will be if the Gadgeteer likes it. She posted about unpacking it... still waiting for any kind of thumbs up/down.

~Fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Uhm, kind of hard to say Pogue doesn't specialize in electronics, even tho some of his reviews can be biased or suggestions dated, still the guy has access to tons of gadgets.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Uhm, kind of hard to say Pogue doesn't specialize in electronics, even tho some of his reviews can be biased or suggestions dated, still the guy has access to tons of gadgets.
That's a more than fair statement, especially since I horribly mis-expressed my point.

I guess what I was trying to say is that publications with a history of bias, that are also paper-bound tended to show the device in a more negative light.

Pogue himself is a techie, but at the same time a techie employed by somebody with there own motives.
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I really don't get why Pogue gave an intentionally shitty review to nook. BTW, his statements that B&N store takes 18 seconds to fully load -- maybe he's had bad cell connection, over WiFi it takes less than 8 here.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote