Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Considering a eBook Reader...Have Questions

Hey everyone,

I've been reading up on various ebook devices for the last two years and have mainly settled on three of them (at least currently):
  1. BeBook Reader
  2. CyBook Gen 3
  3. Amazon Kindle 2 / Large Screen version

I list the BeBook reader as first since the price tag of $280 is the most appealing. I don't list Sony's device as Sony tends to like DRM and I haven't been very fond of their other products of late. Kindle's on the list as 90% of my textbooks and "fun" reading materials come from Amazon, but I'm not fond of the $360 price tag or it's now ban of scripts to convert .mobi to .azw.

I have a few eBooks. About half of them are unencrypted PDFs that I bought via Lulu and the other half are encrypted PRC/Mobi books that I purchased via Mobipocket. I have two netbooks that I can read all of these ebooks on, but I really can't hold up a 3 pound machine for hours nor can I stare on the backlit display for hours on end reading text (gets too tiring). Lastly, 6 hours + heat + noise = poor reading experience.

I love reading fiction novels, mostly science fiction, thrillers, mystery, and romance.

With that said, would the BeBook be able to read encrypted Mobi/PRC files and encrypted PDFs? What about the CyBook?

Since I want to purchase all future novels as digital copies, which eBook stores would you recommend that I throw my money at? Should I continue investing in PRC/MOBI or should I consider AZW?

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 05-05-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
prc/mobi and azw are really the same format so you should not have a problem there
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The BeBook or Cybook can read your DRMed MOBIs, but you will have to register the new device's PID with your ebook retailer and redownload the files. If you strip the DRM with mobidedrm (not thought by some to be legal in the US and a few other places) then all three devices, including the Kindle, can read the resulting DRM-free MOBIs and you don't need to redownload them.

Only the new large screen Kindle will likely handle PDFs well. On the Kindle 2 the only option is to convert the file to MOBI (AZW). Amazon will do this for you, or you can try Windows Desktop MobiPocket Reader which will import the PDF and export a MOBI (in its default ebook directory, typically My Documents\My eBooks). Calibre has a similar PDF import option. Converting from PDF to MOBI is hit and miss, sometimes it works well other times not. However, you can try it before buying the EInk device. Also, the MOBI will work on all of them.

For "native" PDFs on the Cybook and BeBook, see Links to screen shots of PDF documents on e-ink device.

Amazon has about the best selection and good prices for ebooks, but you need a Kindle (or an iPhone/Touch) to buy their ebooks. For generic MOBI, I like FictionWise and Books on Board and WHSmiths in the UK (although many UK titles are ePub-only).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would it be possible then to convert AZW files to MOBI/PRC files so I can read them on the BeBook?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Would it be possible then to convert AZW files to MOBI/PRC files so I can read them on the BeBook?
AZW files are MOBI files, so mobidedrm strips their DRM to produce DRM-free MOBI files. The catch is that you can't buy AZW files unless you have a Kindle or an iPhone/Touch registered to your account (and with the iPhone the ebooks are only downloadable to the iPhone, so you have to get them off the device before transfering them to your BeBook).
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One thingh about the cybook, and update will add Epub support, but it seams, remove the mobi support. If you mean to get a Cybook, i would sugest waiting for the update, see what acctually happens.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
AZW files are MOBI files, so mobidedrm strips their DRM to produce DRM-free MOBI files. The catch is that you can't buy AZW files unless you have a Kindle or an iPhone/Touch registered to your account (and with the iPhone the ebooks are only downloadable to the iPhone, so you have to get them off the device before transfering them to your BeBook).
Ah, so after i deDRM the MOBI files, I can then read it on the Kindle?

I assume that not every MOBI book can be deDRM'd successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
One thingh about the cybook, and update will add Epub support, but it seams, remove the mobi support. If you mean to get a Cybook, i would sugest waiting for the update, see what acctually happens.
Good to know, though it seems I should put the CyBook last on the list.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Yes, deDRM MOBI for the Kindle or deDRM AZW for non-Kindle MOBI.

Quote:
Any MOBI with PID encryption can be deDRM'd. MOBI's with "content encryption" can also be circumvented. MOBIs with "content encryption and a password" are rare, but don't work with mobidedrm (currently no way to add the password).
Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I don't list Sony's device as Sony tends to like DRM and I haven't been very fond of their other products of late.
FWIW:
Sony does indeed love DRM, but I ignore that part. I don't buy from the Sony store; I get content from other sites, including Fictionwise & Baen.

Sony's customer service sucks rocks, but I haven't heard that any other ebook device's company has notably better customer service. (Except that people outside of the US can get service for other devices.) They all seem to think of the readers as 100% functioning devices which should only be used to read novels, at home, while curled up in a comfy chair with a lamp over your shoulder, and any usage outside of that is too exotic for them to worry about problems with.

When I was deciding, I basically had to flip a coin to choose between the Sony and the Hanlin. I'm happy with my choice, but would probably be just as happy with the other choice. However, if I thought I had to get books from the Sony store, I'd be miserable.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Elfwreck,

Thanks for your personal input. I'm saving up for one and back in February I almost jumped and purchased a Kindle 2, but cancelled my pre-order last minute because I wanted to wait it out and see if any of those $180 ereaders promised would be released (notably from Astak and such). Since those haven't matured, I'm setting my eyes on the current BeBook (or Kindle again) and may wait for that new 5" BeBook to release. I'm hoping the 5" version will be cheaper than the current $280.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Haven't found one i coudn't strip of DRM's.

Quote:
Good to know, though it seems I should put the CyBook last on the list.
There should be two version of the firmware if we got everything right. Because amazon don't wan't mobi drm to be used along with an other drm...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote