Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
jantzde
jantzde began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-505 in Demo Mode -- How to exit??

How can I get my Prs-505 out of Demo Mode?

I've tried a hard reset. Didn't work.

I've tried flashing firmware but got the message "incorrect type" and didn't get any further.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? I've been working on this on and off for 3 days now.

Thanks

Debby
jantzde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I did a search and found the following thread with information about the same thing. This link will take you to the thread with the two quotes I've listed below.... Hope this helps.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=demo+505

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Hmm - you could try the reflash procedure here, I suppose...
Quote:
Same thing here - the flasher (here) identifies itself as "PRS-505 flasher 1.3 by igorsk", and I also replaced the included image with this one, giving me alternative icons, a unified menu font, and the clock. (Other combinations available - see the translated thread.)

Then...
  1. Unpack the contents of the archive.
  2. (Optional) Replace the incuded 'new_opt.img' with an alternative one. (Renaming the new one to 'new_opt.img'.)
  3. Copy the exploded archive to the root of a SD card. (I'd reformatted mine to FAT/FAT16 - may not be required.)
  4. Check you have a "/tmp" folder in the root of the Reader when viewed as a USB device, (create one if you haven't,) then unmount the reader.
  5. Plug the flash card into the PRS-505
  6. Press 6
  7. Wait for the PRS-505 to report "Reflashing was successful. Rebooting."
  8. Take the flash card out of the PRS-505
  9. Wait for the unit to reboot
  10. Enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhthn View Post
I also have a demo prs 505 I just bought from craigslist used. Din't know it was a demo at first when I bought it. but after I did the flash back thing. Demo went away and I'm able to update to newest version. just follow the instruction. Remember, after you unzip the files. Don't drag the folder to the sd. Drag the contents and folders in the first folder to the sd. If you need any help let me know.

Last edited by dreams; 04-04-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: fixed link
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
jantzde

Tried those instructions

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The thread you found is the very one I've been following and with no success.

The reader tries to flash but that's when I get the "incorrect type" message. I may not have the flasher files loaded on the SD card correctly. That's possible, but I've tried two variations there - one with all the files on the root of the SD card and one with the files in the Russify folder like when it unzipped

I'm wondering if the reader is looking for a different file? Or format than the thread refers to? Don't know but boy is this frustrating.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Did you buy your Reader in the US or elsewhere? The firmware in the UK and Germany are slightly different and I'm not sure they work with the "universal flasher"...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Do you get the Flasher menu when you insert the SD card? If so, try "Enter Firmware Update Mode" then reflash with the official Sony (Windows) Firmware Update exe?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
jantzde

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Did you buy your Reader in the US or elsewhere? The firmware in the UK and Germany are slightly different and I'm not sure they work with the "universal flasher"...
It was bought in the US.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
jantzde

Quote:
Do you get the Flasher menu when you insert the SD card? If so, try "Enter Firmware Update Mode" then reflash with the official Sony (Windows) Firmware Update exe?
Yes I get the flasher menu. My options are 6 (flash) or 9 (reboot). I pressed 6 and got the message "incorrect type".

I didn't notice the "Flasher Update Mode". How do I get to it? What number would it be?

Debby
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use this one, not the "Russify" package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26831
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
jantzde

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Use this one, not the "Russify" package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26831
Okay.....I ran the Universal Flasher and got the menu and selected 7. That seemed to execute and then gave the meassage that it didn't update sucessfully.

I then ran the Sony Updater and when prompted plugged the 505 to my PC. The screen showed "Reader....updating firmware now...".

and that's as far as I got. It never rebooted and it never reached the end of "updating". Now I can't even shut the unit off and on the screen now it says..."Firmware update did not complete successfully, please try again"

I've tried "again" 3 times and it still doesn't reboot during the process and it won't power down.

I tried doing a reset and that didn't phase it either. It's STILL on.

Next ideas? Please?? (and thanks to all of you who are responding and offering suggestions)
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Now run the Sony updater.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=3622&os_id=7
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
jantzde

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Success!! Success!! YIPPEE!! Sucess!

And I' thought I'd fried it 'cause it was unresponsive. (I mean I couldn't get it to power down or give me any response when I plugged it into my PC) Whew!!

Thank you so VERY much Igor and everyone else.

regards,
Debby
Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
dhundley2
dhundley2 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
I also have a sony 505 demo unit and have tried to follow this post down to a T multiple times. Where mine differs from Debby's is when i run the flasher card and press 7 it says "error copying lipfskLoad to /tmp/

Now i didn't have a tmp folder in the root of the card. So i created a new folder and named it "tmp".

Every time i run the sony updated it says already up to date.

Anyone have any ideas?
dhundley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
harlamar
harlamar began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle or ipad, which? (or neither?)
my girlfriend's sister has this little reader, and was getting some issues with the flasher card as well. I also tried creating a "tmp" folder on the top directory of the card, but I also think that doesn't really provide any quick fixes (about as useful as dental plans [link removed - moderation]). I guess I'll have her try and re-update a couple more times I guess. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by dreams; 10-16-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: [link removed - moderation] | Last edited by harlamar; 04-29-10 at 01:55 PM.
harlamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demo, firmware, prs-505