Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
sith33
sith33 doesn't littersith33 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Successful Battery Swap (500)

My PRS-500 is coming up on 2 years old, and the battery had started to get a bit flakey - I've really abused this battery, alternately leaving it totally drained for weeks, or leaving it on the charger for weeks. Anywho, I got a replacement battery from:
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...Reader+PRS-500

and did the swap. Batteryship included all the necessary tools, which was nice. Prying off the silver plastic side pieces was the only tough part, just be gentle, and don't forget the two screws around the SD slot. Then it was just a matter of taking out all the screws on the sides and bottom, pulling it apart and swapping the battery.

The original battery is glued/taped in place, so it takes a bit of prying. You can remove the whole battery tray with two screws if necessary.

Anyways, it was a simple process, less than 20 minutes. New battery is now fully charged and I just flipped through 150 pages (in quick succession) and still have 4 bars. With the old battery, 20 rapid page turns would have me down to 2 bars.

Anyways, hope it's helpful. Definitely nothing to be scared of.
sith33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, that is helpful. It's also nice to know that the tools needed to get into your 500 were included. One question though. Were the directions to get into your 500 included?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
pactys
pactys began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 500
Hi Sith!

Thanks for your post. I have the same problem with my Sony. Do you have the dimensions of the old or new battery? Would be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance

PacTys
pactys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
That's great and thanks for the tip. According to their site it appears as though this is the same battery that the PRS-505 will use. I like the fact that the battery contains the charging circuit. This would prevent the battery from discharging to a unsafe level. Such is the case of the unit has not been charged for a while it won't refuse a charge The price also seem quite fair.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I think my 500 is overdue for a battery replacement, as soon as I get through this tome of a reading: Cryptonomicon.
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
sith33
sith33 doesn't littersith33 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
They didn't have instructions on getting into it, but I was able to learn what I needed from browsing around this site. It's really not too bad, just make sure you have a nice work surface as the screws are very tiny, and it would be unpleasant to lose them.

The old battery was 1.5" x 2", the new one seemed fractionally smaller - I used a bit of scotch tape in place of the glue/tape that was on the original.
sith33 is offline   Reply With Quote