Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Lighting conditions of the 700.

based on my experence with my 700, I have this to say about my ebook reader.

In the Day time, it is Perfectly Readable
In the Night time, It is perfectly Readable if you turn the back light on.

If you are in a Well Lit environment, School, Library, Work, it is Perfectly Readable.

Now, Lets get into the times when there is Higher Glare.
Indoors, In rooms with dark Walls and Less than 150 Watts of Light, or Bright walls and 65 watts of light. AKA, the Normal Bedroom. (most people keep their living rooms a bit brighter, mine has bright walls, and 150 watts of light, the reader is perfectly readable there)

During these Low Light Conditions is when the reader can get a bit tricky to use,
If the Light Source is Behind you, or above you, It is Perfectly Readable.

If the light is on the side of you, this is a tricky position, sometimes the backlight doesnt even help because the room is bright but the reader is dark.

also. if you lay on your back, and try to read with the reader facing towards you, (IE the Floor) if the lights are on, the Sidelights can be futile because the room is again brighter than the screen.

In short, If you are in a darker room, your posisitions are limited to ones where the reader is shined on by a light.

Some People have stated that its harder to read by Incadecent light then it is from Florecent, though since i only use CF bulbs, And I Never have huge troubles with comfortable reading. I think thats true.

I hope I helped someone, Weather you buy the 700 or not, thats up to you. I did and I am extremely happy, it does what i want. If the functions of a touch screen(cool factor), Side Lighting (reading in bed at night), Or Size (sonys are pretty small compared to the kindle), Are Not Important to you. May I suggest the Following readers.

The Kindle is a very fine device, and supports the kindle store. which is gonna be the biggest thing since ITunes i believe. My Only Gripe with the Kindle is its larger size which doesnt do well in pockets, but purses and book bags and briefcases its just fine, and its damn fine to hold in the hand too (I had the Kindle one for a month, and the New Kindle looks even better)

If Size Is Important to you. I suggest a PRS 505, if it isnt, go with the kindle. its a much better platform.

If you read less than one book a week, I suggest an Ipod Touch (you can get them for about $150 on CL or Ebay) But thats only if you dont suffer from eye problems.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Great overview Andy!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert