Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, unzipping it shows a 1.6 megabyte single html chapter. That will cause hangs and crashes in almost all early epub readers. Many of those freak out with any chapter over about 200K to 300K in size.

And as DiapDealer said, this azw3 was most likely created from an old mobi not an actual epub.

I would strongly recommend either manually splitting the huge single file into manageable chapters in Sigil or do an epub to epub conversion in Calibre to do the same.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The ScrambleEpub plugin is designed to introduce the least amount of structural change as possible. Still, it's not unprececented that a problem goes away post-scramble. My first suspicion would an image-related issue (since the scrambler replaces images with dummy ones).

EDIT: After glancing at the html, I have very little doubt that the source for this particular kindlebook was not an epub. That's probably a big part of the problem right there.
Anyone else here look at the CSS? ??? Page sections are set to 6" x 9"? (In points)? I don't have Diap's vast experience in looking at unpacked mobis--truly, I don't--but that's weird. Diap, is that typical output from the unpacking? I know that we HAVE unpacked combo mobis, that clients built and had issues with, and I don't recall EVER seeing this?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Anyone else here look at the CSS? ??? Page sections are set to 6" x 9"? (In points)? I don't have Diap's vast experience in looking at unpacked mobis--truly, I don't--but that's weird. Diap, is that typical output from the unpacking? I know that we HAVE unpacked combo mobis, that clients built and had issues with, and I don't recall EVER seeing this?

Hitch
I've never run into css like that in any epub, quite frankly. Its weirdness aside; absolutely none of it seems to be being applied to the epub's xhtml. Not that I can make out anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing to do is take the ePub and load it into Calibre's eBook editor and remove all unused CSS entries. Then see what's left.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing to do is take the ePub and load it into Calibre's eBook editor and remove all unused CSS entries. Then see what's left.
There's nothing left, Jon. That's what I just said. None of the styles in the external sheet are being used. All styles being applied are inline (and on a per-element basis).

The named @page types are being properly created in the external style sheet, but the div class selectors they're being assigned to don't exist in the xhtml. The linked, external stylesheet is utterly extraneous.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-16-2016 at 09:28 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I've never run into css like that in any epub, quite frankly. Its weirdness aside; absolutely none of it seems to be being applied to the epub's xhtml. Not that I can make out anyway.
Thank Goodness. I thought that all my admin time away from the day-to-day had dulled my wits. (No cracks, boys.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ixnay, Jon. Nix gots.

Quote:
There's nothing left, Jon. That's what I just said. None of the styles in the external sheet are being used. All styles being applied are inline (and on a per-element basis).
Yep. There ISN'T anything else except inline stuff that isn't very helpful, either. The usual "line-height =x" and that's about it.

[page]The named @page types are being properly created in the external style sheet, but the div class selectors they're being assigned to don't exist in the xhtml. The linked, external stylesheet is utterly extraneous.[/QUOTE]

Right. It's like...it's like somebody took a CSS sheet from a fixed-layout ePUB, somewhere, and slapped it in a...I dunno, Mobipocket Creator HTML file (zip) and didn't bother to make the named classes appear in the HTML, or vice-versa. It's bloody WEIRD, Jon.

Hell, you're a big kid, open it and look. It's bizarre. I'm telling you, the CSS from book A, and the HTML from Book Zed. With NOTHING connecting them.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Kindleunpack will simply overwrite files in the specified output directory so if he/she did not bother to clean out an old outputdirectory from a previous book and unpacked a new file in its place, he/she really could end up with CSS from book A and HTML from book Zed.

Of course, there would be no entry in the opf for it but ...

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindleunpack