Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #76
swifty
Enthusiast
swifty began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Is this the 2GB or 4GB because knc1 noticed there are some differences?

If I seem a bit picky and want specifics, it is because we need to clarify exactly which device so when people do come in with questions, we will have the answers.

And yes there will be a dozen or more questions.
Now next question,
How would you answer this:
I jailbreak my kindle then reset, why is my jailbreak not working?
My answer would be:
Factory reset removes the jailbreak. You will need to follow my tutorial again to re-jailbreak your device.

My Kindle is 2gb, but the jailbreak hotfix includes fixes for 4gb models.
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #77
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Please put those answers on the first post. Otherwise, you will get those questions at least every 5 pages.
And yes, when I think of more questions I will be asking.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #78
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Please put those answers on the first post. Otherwise, you will get those questions at least every 5 pages.
And yes, when I think of more questions I will be asking.
Good idea, added! Please do ask. I will probably create an FAQ after enough questions have compiled.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
My answer would be:
Factory reset removes the jailbreak. You will need to follow my tutorial again to re-jailbreak your device.

My Kindle is 2gb, but the jailbreak hotfix includes fixes for 4gb models.
A bit of clarification here -

What is called a 'jail break' at this site is only the filing of our site's developer's signature certificate in the Kindle's keystore.

The Kindle's keystore is in that part of the file system tree not normally accessible to the user.

It is part of the file system tree that gets over-written by a full image update (such as from Amazon).

Now the "Reset" only touches the user storage areas.
There are two, one the user can access and one that is always internal.
It does nothing to the system's portion of the file tree.
Translation: It does not touch the internal key store (or our jb certificate).

But the 'survival code' that makes our jb certificate bridge across being over written by an image update 'lives' in the internal user's area.
A 'reset' wipes that out, including the things like the Active Document developer keys. (KUAL is one of our Active Documents).

So sequence is critical:

1) OTA update (jb certificate over-written)
2) reboot (part of the update process - certificate is replaced)
3) reset by user (certificate not touched, but KINDLET keys wiped)

Translation: the jb certificate was restored, user must run the 'hotfix' package to restore everything else.

1) reset by user (KINDLET keys and jb certificate re-write code wiped)
2) OTA update (jb certificate over-written)
3) reboot (part of the update process - nothing to restore the certificate on the device because of the prior reset).

Translation: the user's device is back to a never jail broken state.

= = = =

I really should add that to the FGA list.
(or program a 'hot key' for it)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #80
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Oh I just got a very sad email. Looks like geekmaster will not be posting here ever again. His doctor just called and confirmed he has aggressive bone cancer. The doctor says he has a few months at best. He will be missed immensely in the scientific and computer worlds.
Oh no this calls for a geekmaster memorial, I think.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #81
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Oh no this calls for a geekmaster memorial, I think.
A good idea.

Too bad his eulogy will have to include:
"Banned from Mobileread in the last days of his life".

But he does have nearly a half century of contributions to computer science behind him that he and others can be proud of.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #82
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next question: "My computer isn't recognizing my PW2, what should I do?"
Old 07-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #83
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Next question my firmware is 4.1.3. Should I upgrade to 5.6.5?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #84
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Next question: "My computer isn't recognizing my PW2, what should I do?"
That seems like a very broad and generic question regarding the USB connectivity, rather than jailbreaking. Therefore, I'd refer them to an outside resource that answers that question.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220110

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...TxRJI5JSF7RQ4Z

http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=150299.0

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214051
Old 07-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #85
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Next question Will this work on Serial number B00E 15?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #86
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
That seems like a very broad and generic question regarding the USB connectivity, rather than jailbreaking. Therefore, I'd refer them to an outside resource that answers that question.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220110

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...TxRJI5JSF7RQ4Z

http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=150299.0

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214051
You are very good at linking but I would have liked a quick answer.
Do you really want to run the person out of your thread?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #87
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Next question my firmware is 4.1.3. Should I upgrade to 5.6.5?
This jailbreak only works for v5.6.5.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #88
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
You are very good at linking but I would have liked a quick answer.
Do you really want to run the person out of your thread?
I'm not going to copy paste the answer that someone else wrote up. That could count as soft plagiarism and can create "software rot" like the previous posters mentioned. Don't you agree?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #89
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
This jailbreak only works for v5.6.5.
You might want to put that above your tutorial.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #90
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
You might want to put that above your tutorial.
I thought the title saying this is a jailbreak for 5.8.x would have been enough, what do you think?