Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Fictionwise, .lit and IE 7.. where do the books download to?

Boy I hate sounding like an idiot, but that just may be my lot in life

I am trying to download a microsoft reader .lit book at fictionwise. It requires I use IE (I usually use firefox).

Problem is, when I download the ebook it downloads to "Temporary Folder"

I have searched everywhere for my ebook, and a "Temporary Folder", but to no avail.

I cannot see the usefulness of downloading ebooks from fictionwise, when I can never actually find the download.

Yes, I have the Microsoft reader installed on my computer and activated (although my intent is to remove the DRM and convert it to LRF and load it on my Sony reader).

Anyone have suggestions? I used the Fictionwise "customer Service" email, but I recieve no reply from them.

Maybe I am an idiot and they are just laughing at me.

Help will be rewarded with thanks and Karma
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Can you see the filename when the download starts? Try searching for that. For me using IE 7, I get a "save file" dialog so I can put the file where I want it. You could also try looking around in "my documents" and also "C:\Documents and Settings" because in there you should find a "C:\Documents and Settings\{your username}\Local Settings\Temp" directory. Alternatively, "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

Sorry I can't be more help, those are all IE7/Windows XP specific.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Try My Documents/My Library

That's where mine end up
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I have tried that. All of that. And, no, I do not get a "save file" dialog.

I am thinking maybe I should just re-install IE?

Can't tell you how frustrating this is.

But, thank you much for the suggestions!

Karma is coming!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

And yes, I am Windows XP SP2
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

Problem is, when I download the ebook it downloads to "Temporary Folder"

I have searched everywhere for my ebook, and a "Temporary Folder", but to no avail.
When you start the download you can select were it is going. It should suggest a name and here you can make the change. From that moment on, all download go to that location. When you don't get this dialog, something is wrong. Not with IE7, but with your setup.

I use IE7 all the time and I have no problems at all

Downloading to "Temporary Folder" is a bad idea. Because it is cleaned out as soon as a program finishes. It always goes to "Temporary Folder" first. In this way you can avoid clutter when there is a failed download. in the normal directory (Or the desktop as many people use). After the download it is coppied to the correct location.

Re-installing IE7? That would be weird. Because you cannot 'uninstall' it. You can only de-activate it.

My guess is that the installation of Firefox ruined some settings. Or did you 'tweak' your version of XP to make it faster/smaller? That gave me many headaches in the past. Sometimes it takes weeks or months to find out that this 'tiny' tweek has an implication for something you never thought of.

Last edited by Ortep; 02-29-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

I am never given a choice of where the file is downloading. It just starts downloading to "Temporary Folder", and that is that.

I have not "tweaked" XP in anyway.

It could be that the Firefox screwed something up. I know I have had updates to Firefox and IE several times while I have had the computer. I hope it is not a fire-fight between the browsers.

I might try making IE7 the "default" browser (it is currently FireFox).

I will let you know what happens.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am never given a choice of where the file is downloading. It just starts downloading to "Temporary Folder", and that is that.

I will let you know what happens.
I did some searching. Do you have the '.lit' extention associated with the Microsoft Reader application? That would explain this behaviour. It would try to open the reader. More or less the same as downloading a PDF will open Acrobat and show you the file.

When you try to download the file do you double click? If so, try a right click, that should give you a dialog.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
To see your "Temporary Folder" in IE, try Tool/Internet Options/Browsing History/Settings/View Files. See here for more info - http://screencast.com/t/6NymyA97.

Having done that, however, I went & tried it with the free .LIT from Fictionwise & found that if you do downloading it with IE, it doesn't end up there at all (nor, as you say, do you get a chance to do a "Save As"!) Instead, Windows/IE moves it to your "My Documents/My Library" folder as Simon said earlier. Try downloading it a few times & check for files of the same size/similar names in there.

Last edited by gwynevans; 02-29-2008 at 04:50 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
When you download it, do you left click or right click? You should be right clicking. After the little menu pops up, elect "Save as". You should then be prompted for the destination.

P.S. Sorry if this is a little basic, but it sounds like you are just opening the ebook with MSReader without downloading a copy first.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With Fictionwise, you don't get that option - See here - LINK DELETED
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sorry for the misinformation; it's early here.

The only suggestion I have left is to search for *.LIT.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Link deleted also

What should this link do? First it tries to instal some wierd player, then I end up with a Google toolbar I don't want and had to remove and after that it wants to run some Active X scripts and enable Java script.

That is where I stopped trusting it

Last edited by Ortep; 02-29-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
What should this link do? First it tries to instal some wierd player, then I end up with a Google toolbar I don't want and had to remove and after that it wants to run some Active X scripts and enable Java script.

That is where I stopped trusting it
It's a shared "Jing" screencast hosted on Screencast.com (Just for you, I'll not give you links - Google them) - the "wierd player" is the Adobe Flash Player, which I believe runs as an Active X control when embeded in your browser & probably uses JavaScript too. I'm afraid that I doubt that it installed you a Google toolbar, though...
--
I was wrong, the Adobe Player does offer (and has been reported to skip the 'decline' option) to install the toolbar - http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...ernalId=333616
and the comments here (http://weblogs.macromedia.com/emmy/a..._player_do.cfm).

Last edited by gwynevans; 02-29-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Combine info from later post
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
It's a shared "Jing" screencast hosted on Screencast.com (Just for you, I'll not give you links - Google them) - the "wierd player" is the Adobe Flash Player, which I believe runs as an Active X control when embeded in your browser & probably uses JavaScript too. I'm afraid that I doubt that it installed you a Google toolbar, though...
Aha...I avoid Flash like the plague. I even have a flash killer to stop al those horrible adds that 'flash' over your screen on some websites.

But it did install the Google toolbar. That is another one I never install. The complete process involved a couple of restarts of IE. And the last one suddenly ended up with a 'nice' google toolbar and a message thanking me for the installation. Of course I immediately removed it.

Today almost every piece of software seems tries install it.

Last edited by Ortep; 02-29-2008 at 09:42 AM.