Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Katievic
Katievic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Does the glo work with android computer?

Hi, I'm going to buy a new computer and am considering the ASUS T100 transformer which has an android operating system. Does the kobo glo work with android computers? I'm assuming they do as they have the app for android but just want to make sure.

Also does the glo work with chromebooks? This is my second choice.

Thanks guys!
Katievic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is no Kobo Desktop for Android.

As long as any computer supports USB storage then yes, the Kobo would appear as a drive to it. However, it is highly likely that a) you would have to do any Kobo setup / updates via Wifi and NOT desktop b) There would be no means to copy ADE DRM protected material to the Kobo (since there is no ADE for Android and/or Chromebook, and ADE is required to download DRM enabled ePubs, and also both the computer and Kobo need to be authorized within the ADE DRM system),
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katievic View Post
am considering the ASUS T100 transformer which has an android operating system
What version of Android? The only T100 Transformer I can find runs Windows 8.1
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #4
Katievic

I meant to write considering buying a Asus Transformer Pad TF103C Android tablet.

Having to do the updates via wifi.......how fast is this usually? I live on a remote island in Indonesia and the wifi isn't the fastest. So I wouldn't be able to plug the kobo in and just drag and drop? Rather id have to sync via wifi right?

As for the ADE DRM stuff, I own a USB stick with 1000 books on it so I won't need to download anything for quite a while I would say.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
baochan
Enthusiast
baochan doesn't litterbaochan doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Pyrus Mini
I have a Glo and an Asus Transformer TF201 (a few years old at this point). With the keyboard's USB port I can plug my Glo into it and it recognizes it as an external USB drive, I can then copy epub or firmware files onto it with a file manager. Generally I don't do that though, I use Calibre on my laptop to sideload books and update the firmware over Wifi, which usually takes about 5 minutes. The Kobo Android app isn't designed to interface with e-reader devices, it's for reading Kobo books on your phone/tablet. If you buy books through the Kobo store, I'm not sure how you'd get them onto your Glo without wifi.
baochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Katievic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baochan View Post
I have a Glo and an Asus Transformer TF201 (a few years old at this point). With the keyboard's USB port I can plug my Glo into it and it recognizes it as an external USB drive, I can then copy epub or firmware files onto it with a file manager. Generally I don't do that though, I use Calibre on my laptop to sideload books and update the firmware over Wifi, which usually takes about 5 minutes. The Kobo Android app isn't designed to interface with e-reader devices, it's for reading Kobo books on your phone/tablet. If you buy books through the Kobo store, I'm not sure how you'd get them onto your Glo without wifi.
I'm not really planning on using the kobo store too much as I have lots of friends with ebooks to swap with. So essentially if I did get an android computer I could still update my glo using wifi with calibre and/or the file manager?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
baochan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katievic View Post
I'm not really planning on using the kobo store too much as I have lots of friends with ebooks to swap with. So essentially if I did get an android computer I could still update my glo using wifi with calibre and/or the file manager?
Calibre will only run on a Windows/Linux/Mac desktop, but you should be able to copy epub/PDF files to a Glo through an Asus Android tablet, as long as it has a USB port that accepts thumb drives (which the Transformer series should). Firmware can be updated by downloading from the links on this forum, unzipping them on the Android and copying the files over, or directly on the Glo with wifi.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Katievic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baochan View Post
Calibre will only run on a Windows/Linux/Mac desktop, but you should be able to copy epub/PDF files to a Glo through an Asus Android tablet, as long as it has a USB port that accepts thumb drives (which the Transformer series should). Firmware can be updated by downloading from the links on this forum, unzipping them on the Android and copying the files over, or directly on the Glo with wifi.
Thanks for your reply.
Do you know if the glo would work with a Lenovo A10 laptop. It runs a Lenovo customised android operating system. More details here:
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops.../#tab-features
Old 08-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
baochan
Enthusiast

It looks like the Lenovo A10 supports USB drives so I would think it would work, but Android can be picky sometimes. I can't test it to be sure.

Tags
android, asus transformer, glo, kobo