Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
sberry
sberry began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung GT-P6210
Connection Error

I was so happy to see support for MTP devices. I could now connect my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus directly instead of un-mounting the sd card, removing it and then connecting the file to calibre to transfer books. When I tried to connect though I got the following error:

calibre, version 0.9.1
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 469, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 232, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 258, in write_metadata_cache
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 33, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 414, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The device shows up and it goes through the process of reading the data on the device but at the end it pops up with this error and shows none of the book files on the device or sd card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a generic error windows is reporting while trying to send a file to the device. Nothing that can be done about it in calibre. Things you can try:

1) Reboot your device
2) Delete some files from the device to reduce the load on it
3) Reboot your computer
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
sberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Things you can try:

1) Reboot your device
2) Delete some files from the device to reduce the load on it
3) Reboot your computer
Thanks for replying so quickly with help.

I tried all three of these things and got the same error again.

I guess I will have to go back to using the external sd card to transfer my books.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Is your device an older device (what version of Android is it running)?

Older Android devices tend to have rather buggy MTP implementations, unfortunately (depending on the manufacturer). If your device allows it and you have the patience/time for it, you can try installing a custom ROM.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, sorry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
sberry

It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 not quite a year old.

It's running ics. I don't have a custom rom but it is rooted.

Everything I find seems to point to a driver problem but it does connect to the computer fine and even shows as connected to calibre just doesn't display books on the device or otherwise communicate with it. AndI don't have enough knowledge to figure out how to fix it.

In the past I unmounted my sd card to load books, before there was mtp support, and although it would be nice to connect the device directly I can still load books that way.

If you think if anything else please let me know.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to help.