Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Kobo store previews useless?

Has anyone noticed that the previews that Kobo provides with their books are only what they call "Openers"? Title page, copyright notice, but no content? (Or is it just the books I am interested in?)

On my iPhone, Kindle and iBook "samples" let me download many pages, sometimes whole chapters. This lets me confirm whether this is the book I really want. I don't have a good memory for titles, and I don't always know if I've already read a book from a favourite author.

So if the book I'm looking for is available on Kindle, I can use their preview, but Kobo actually has a better selection than Kindle, and WAY more than iBooks (of books that I am interested in at least), so that doesn't always work.

Why is Kobo so chintzy?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I go through the Chapters/Indigo website. Same books but with a proper preview and reviews. When you're ready to buy the ebook it redirects you to Kobo's website.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Amazon does a superb job merchandising books. The free 3G wireless previews are a terrific way to encourage more sales. The user comments, the "if you like this you might like that" recommendations, and excerpts from published reviews make it easy, fun and informative to browse.

Kobo's bookstore, and desktop application, are severely lacking in comparison. The upside is there are some titles available at Kobo that aren't in Kindle format, especially for Canadians. Kobo has shown it is working hard to make improvements and is committed to an evolving product. I don't think they are chintzy: they are just getting off the ground.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Ardnas
Ardnas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo
I adore my Kindle for all the reasons above ...but the reason I got a Kobo reader is to get access to titles that I haven't been able to get at Amazon. I like having that additional option. ...Usually I have a pretty good idea of what I want to buy, so I don't need to browse a sample. My samples on my Kindle are mainly low-cost books that have caught my attention. ...I mainly want to see if the writing is of decent quality. I hate books that are poorly written!
Ardnas is offline   Reply With Quote