Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A Science Fiction Novel YOU would recommend

Ok: You demanded it, even though NOT ONE SINGLE email came to me. The fact is, I could sense it because I'm TELEPATHIC and have abilities far beyond your silly, meager boundaries of understanding. (I'm also able to control the magnetic/berium brains of UFOs through my ability at TELEKENESIS and my mind-warp infusion at the binary-polaroid juncture. HEY! I can write nonsense SF with the best of them!) -- Ok, enough stupidities and sillinesses.

What am I talking about? Here's the explanation for this thread:

There's been some cross-pollination in the the other two threads that I started that have similar titles. It's sometimes hard to distinguish where one type of fiction "bleeds" in to another genre, but there certainly were some SF novels posted in the Fantasy thread I started. So, putting my two brains together, I decided to create YET ANOTHER, BUT DIFFERENT thread on the topic of science fiction novels YOU would recommend to someone.

Here's one I recommend (the novel, not the novelette): Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel F. Keyes. This novel won the Nebula Award for Best Novel when it was published. As a film with the name of Charly, it was a memorable movie starring Cliff Robertson, who won an Academy Award as Best Actor.

This is a great novel, in my opinion. Give it a try, if you haven't read it.

Don

P.S.: And remember, zombies are not brain surgeons
P.P.S: Thanks to wayspooled for getting the name of the film correct. I had a wrong spelling.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Martian chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The illustrated man by the same
Absolute masterpieces...
[edit : and I agree for "Flowers for Algernon" great piece]
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've recommended Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog in other threads, so I'll go with Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven.
(That's a sneaky way of getting in 2 recommendations)
http://www.sfsite.com/04a/lh173.htm

(I can't help it, but recently I've begun thinking of George Orr as George Orr Binks.)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell.

All 5 of them!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
You mind-stole my choice you swine! Yep go read Flowers for Algernon.

Failing that I'm going to beat you in awards Top Trumps by recommending a Nebula and Hugo winner:

Gateway by Frederik Pohl
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I will pick a few books with the same theme, one that I really love: that of a genetically engineers/modified soldier.

Armor by John Steakley.

The Cobra Trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

Blackcollar by Timothy Zahn.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi. First in a series.

I'd recommend any of them but I love Blackcollar the most.
Also I'm sure I missed more than a few. Would love to find them out.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The Difference Engine - by Gibson & Sterling - wonderful story plus the history of the computer! Not yet on eBook that I'm aware of - worth clicking on that button!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
In the Sci-fi genre:

Just about anything from Arthur C. Clarke. More science, less fiction than most authors. However, The Rama series is one of the best.

For fantasy, I would go with Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game. He also has some incredible short stories.
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein, then Victor Milan's _The Cybernetic Samurai_ (the two make an interesting pair 'cause the former is the favourite book of a computer programmer in the latter)

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
C.J. Cherryh

The Pride of Chanur - nominated for 1983 Hugo Award, if you like Orson Scott Card, David Brin, Larry Niven or Lois McMaster Bujold.

Cyteen - won the 1989 Hugo Award, if you like Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clark, Vernor Vinge, William Gibson and Philip K. Dick. NASA named an asteroid for her, saying she challenged their view of future of mankind in space. Unfortunately I don't see it in ebook anywhere and she's very close to having recovered the rights to much of her backlist to offer ebooks from her own site, so this may be legally available shortly.

I'm not in love with her fantasy stuff, very much like about half - but most of her sci-fi knocks my socks off. I can definitely recommend to anyone The Pride of Chanur, Heavy Time, Cyteen and Merchanter's Luck as some of the best stuff in sci/fi. I can also whole-heartedly recommend the rest of the Chanur books but only the first 2 of the 3 book followup trilogy (Chanur's Venture, The Kif Strike Back) are ebooked. Missing Chanur's Homecoming from the trilogy.

This is my Cherryh great stuff list. Don't try the other Cherryh stuff until or unless you're hooked and already know how good she can be. Like I said, not much is available in ebook. The Foreigner trilogies for example, the very first book isn't available lol..

Chanur
1. The Pride of Chanur
2. Chanur's Venture (1 of trilogy)
3. The Kif Strike Back (2 of trilogy)
4. Chanur's Homecoming (3 of trilogy)
5. Chanur's Legacy

Heavy Time
Hellburner (read Heavy Time before Hellburner)
Downbelow Station (Foundational novel 1)
Merchanter's Luck
Rimrunners
Tripoint
Finity's End
Cyteen (Foundational novel 2)
Regenesis (Foundational novel 3)
(all standalone but this is roughly chronological order)

Foreigner 1
1. Foreigner (1994)
2. Invader (1995)
3. Inheritor (1996)
Foreigner 2
1. Precursor (1999)
2. Defender (2001)
3. Explorer (2002)
Foreigner 3
1. Destroyer (2005)
2. Pretender (2006)
3. Deliverer (2007)
(read as trilogies)

Faded Sun
1. The Kesrith (1978)
2. The Shon'Jir (1978)
3. The Kutath (1979)

Fantasies of hers that I liked a lot -
Angel with the Sword
The Morgane Trilogy (Gate of Ivrel, Well of Shiuan, Fires of Azeroth)
Rider at the Gate (kinda combo sci/fi - fantasy, gotta love carnivorous
horses who think the greatest thing humans brought with their
colonization team was BACON, heh)
The Paladin
The Goblin Mirror

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-02-2009 at 12:16 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
In the Sci-fi genre:

For fantasy, I would go with Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game. He also has some incredible short stories.
Yeah, The Folk of the Fringe is a great book of short stories.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Set in space and distant planets, with horror elements and an investigation of an extinct alien race. It is realistic, has a good pace. Alastair Reynolds was working for the Europan Space Agency before becoming a writer.

Last edited by BlackVoid; 05-22-2009 at 01:55 PM.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
C.J. Cherryh
I'm not in love with her fantasy stuff but most of her sci-fi knocks my socks off.
It has the same effect on me, as I fall asleep from extreme boredom.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Henry Kuttner - The Time Axis

Available for download here on MobileRead!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Rafardeon
Enthusiast
Rafardeon began at the beginning.

I suggest the books by Alastair Reynolds (Especially Chasm City). I'm waiting for ebook versions though (or maybe I just didn't find them yet).
Rafardeon is offline   Reply With Quote