Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
some early pictures from IDPF

EDIT: The suspense was getting to some of you, so I decided to move these to where everyone could see them. This isn't a writeup; that will be coming later.

I didn't have a web connection in NY, so I couldn't upload these pictures.

Astak brought all 3 models, but the 9.7" was a mostly nonfunctional engineering mockup. Actually, there were 4. They also brought the shell they just got for the 6". It was empty, but interesting to look at.

I also got a couple pictures of ETI's device. (Garth Conboy was there. He also did a presentation which I'll write up after I wake up today.)

The pictures are too big, and need some work before we can upload them. I don't know much about this so could someone fix them for me?
Attached Files
File Type: zip one.zip (8.15 MB, 485 views)
File Type: zip two.zip (7.68 MB, 473 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Excellent pics, Nate. Working on them right now...

... ok, I slightly edited some photos (rotated them, corrected the brightness level). I also picked and downsized one picture that would work great as the frontpage image. All attached here.

I think it'd be great if you included the hires pics as well. How about if you attach them all to your post, in order, so first astak01.jpg, then astak01_hi.jpg, then astak02, then astak02_hi.jpg and so on...
Attached Files
File Type: zip photos1.zip (6.47 MB, 480 views)
File Type: zip photos2.zip (5.56 MB, 474 views)
File Type: zip frontpage.zip (17.7 KB, 432 views)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*bump*
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Having used Macs for a long time, I'm rather a fan of elegance & simplicity. If you look at stuff like an iPod, or a Mac, they "just work".

Whilst broadly speaking, the majority of ebook readers IMHO could be designed better, the 5" Astak in the pic looks particularly bad to me

The logos for Volume up/down is just "Eh? WTF", and the overall design is just... I dunno. I KNOW the design could've been better than this *sighs* Someone get Jonathan Ive on the job ASAP!
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Martok
Martok began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Thanks for the Pictures!!! If the price for the 6" stays where they estimate I could live with it not being up to Apple standard.

New technology there is always something better in a few weeks. By the time I buy one, Apple will have their "ibook" out for just a little bit extra.
Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yummy! BLUE!! Nate, please give details of what you saw, what you infer from talking with them, everything. In layman language, please. Thanks!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Yeah, like the blue.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
Nicely done. And if you look at the image 100_0035.jpg, you can zoom in on RobertB's business card.

It was good to get some perspective on the relative sizes of these devices. Even the 5" seems to be a decent size. Given the price of gas and diapers, I might not be picking up the 9.7" right away.

I can't wait until the reviews start coming...but I guess we're a few months away from all that.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok... so the three white ones together on the table I assume are the 6" models. Then the shiny black one all by it self is the 9.7" model.

What is the black one to the left of the three Astak 6" ones? Is that also a Mentor?

The which 6" ones only look to have the little square button on the bottom right corner. Is that they only set of buttons on it?

I also assume the 5" ones, the blue on included are the ones with the two sets of buttons, as someone said with a similar layout to the jetbook actually.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Bob, thew black one is their 6" modle that will be based on the hardware of the white ones. I mentioned it over on another thread.

P.S. This thread is mainly just to let everyone have the original pictures.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Bob, thew black one is their 6" modle that will be based on the hardware of the white ones. I mentioned it over on another thread.

P.S. This thread is mainly just to let everyone have the original pictures.
At this point you might want to merge the threads to avoid confusion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey Nate, thanks for all the photos ! a question for you. i only just now finally figured out which ones were of the ETI device. i was confused because i was expecting the design to be significantly different (a lot closer to the eb1150) ; in previous communication, Garth Conboy mentioned that they were intending to make an eink reader with similar ergonomics to their lcd model. did you have a chance to discuss this with him at all ? i was hoping for them to make something quite different from all the Gen3 clones currently available...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote