Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
snoo
snoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage, Kindle DXG, iPad pro
looking for device for web browsing, nova 2 or mars or hisense a5?

Hi I have a Kindle dxg which is way too clumsy so I hardly use it now, also have a Kindle voyage, but as time is scarce I hardly have time to read for more than 15 minutes at a time. Also I have an iPad pro for reading PDFs and taking notes etc. As my eyes started to age with me, I was looking for an e ink device mainly for web browsing, I tried browsing on kindle, it's dismal. After a bit of research I decided on nova 2 or max 3 or lumi, max 3 at $779 is way too expensive and lumi is not available on Amazon yet, so I got nova 2 at $309 plus tax yesterday.

I haven't tried books on it yet but as far as web browsing goes it's not great but kinda ok. I had watched YouTube reviews and was prepared for the laggy writing experience, but trying it out for a couple of minutes in person I started to wonder what century I was in. I use a samsung note phone, the s pen is a pleasure to write. I've heard the Remarkable and the Sony have better writing experience, but their systems are too closed up for my purpose. Previously I was looking at Likebook mars as well, it's available on Amazon at about $200, now the note taking is out of the way, $109 saving looks very tempting indeed. From all my readings mars performs generally a little bit worse than nova and there're more complaints about it's durability as well. Still I think I'll order one just for comparison.

I would love to hear some experience and advice on both devices, thanks guys! Also has anyone tried the Hisense e ink phone yet? If just for web browsing would that be a better choice?
snoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
snoo

Ok, I've got no idea how to edit my original post, so I'll just put the follow up here. I got the Likebook mars and tried it, the web browsing experience is terrible, I think it's mostlydue to the native browser, but the screen contrast and user friendliness are also a bit worse compare to nova 2, so it's decided. I would still like to hear some Hisense experience and also the difference in web browsing between boox nova vs. note and max. Thanks guys!
Advert
Old 10-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
EInk is slow.
In A2 Mode it is better.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
The search for an e-reader which is also good for browsing the internet is a search for a unicorn. You will end up paying a lot of money for disappointing results. A basic e-reader for reading coupled with an internet device like a PC or iPad is as good as it gets. I find the Boyue Alita a decent e-reader but pretty poor for other functions. Had I known I'd have stuck with my Kindle Paperwhite saving a lot of money and aggravation.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Have both the Nova Pro and the Hisense A5. I don't usually use either for browsing the internet. I prefer my laptop for that or a tablet when travelling. I primarily use my eink devices for reading.

However, tested the Nova Pro and the Hisense A5 side by side for browsing using Firefox. It wasn't an extensive test. Just visited this site and a news site. As for the results...

The A5 was much snappier. It loaded pages very quickly and was very easy to pinch and zoom which helped make up for the limited screen size.

The Nova Pro took a very long time to load pages, regardless of the mode I put it in and I tried them all. However, once pages were loaded, the resulting image was much crisper. And once loaded, it was easy to scroll down the page quite quickly. More information could also be displayed at one time due to the greater screen real estate.

Which would I prefer to browse the internet?

Neither, unless there were no alternative. However, if I had to use an eink device to look for something on the internet, which one I chose would likely depend on the purpose.

If I were going to be hopping from page to page, I would definitely go for the A5. The Nova Pro was just too slow to load.

If I were going to a certain page to read an extended article which include graphics and were not in a rush, I would likely choose the Nova Pro for the crisper image and the greater screen real estate.

Last edited by Question Mark; 10-10-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Had I known I'd have stuck with my Kindle Paperwhite saving a lot of money and aggravation.
Only in comparison to the Kindle is browsing with an EInk Android tablet gold if you know how to use it.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
If I were going to be hopping from page to page, I would definitely go for the A5. The Nova Pro was just too slow to load.

If I were going to a certain page to read an extended article which include graphics and were not in a rush, I would likely choose the Nova Pro for the crisper image and the greater screen real estate.
A larger amount of data requires more time to download and to load the page.
The new processors are also faster than that of the Nova Pro.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Things that are easy for PC and iPad cannot be replicated successfully on these android e-readers. A big leap in screen technology is needed to deliver 21st century performance. I doubt the processor has much bearing on the bottleneck. Progress is looking unlikely to come from Chinese companies if it comes at all.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
EInk is slow.
In A2 Mode it is better.
Thanks! Indeed it's slow, but tolerable.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
The search for an e-reader which is also good for browsing the internet is a search for a unicorn. You will end up paying a lot of money for disappointing results. A basic e-reader for reading coupled with an internet device like a PC or iPad is as good as it gets. I find the Boyue Alita a decent e-reader but pretty poor for other functions. Had I known I'd have stuck with my Kindle Paperwhite saving a lot of money and aggravation.
Thanks for replying! I used to save the webpage into txt and push to the kindle, but it's just too inconvenient. I'll try browsing on the nova 2 for a while, so far I don't dislike it. Hopefully it will be better for my poor eyes.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
snoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Have both the Nova Pro and the Hisense A5. I don't usually use either for browsing the internet. I prefer my laptop for that or a tablet when travelling. I primarily use my eink devices for reading.

However, tested the Nova Pro and the Hisense A5 side by side for browsing using Firefox. It wasn't an extensive test. Just visited this site and a news site. As for the results...

The A5 was much snappier. It loaded pages very quickly and was very easy to pinch and zoom which helped make up for the limited screen size.

The Nova Pro took a very long time to load pages, regardless of the mode I put it in and I tried them all. However, once pages were loaded, the resulting image was much crisper. And once loaded, it was easy to scroll down the page quite quickly. More information could also be displayed at one time due to the greater screen real estate.

Which would I prefer to browse the internet?

Neither, unless there were no alternative. However, if I had to use an eink device to look for something on the internet, which one I chose would likely depend on the purpose.

Thank you so much for your help! It's amazing how slow the e ink application has developed during the past 16 years since the first sony reader. Thank you especially for the comparison between A5 and nova, since A5 is not available on Amazon here I think I'll wait for the next e ink phone before trying it out. In the meantime nova 2 works well for my purpose, I'll browse with my phone or pc and sync the webpage I want to read on nova 2.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:58 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoo View Post
It's amazing how slow the e ink application has developed during the past 16 years since the first sony reader.
I think I'll wait for the next e ink phone before trying it out.
Not much will change here unless new technology is found.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Not much will change here unless new technology is found.
Just tried browsing the internet on Firefox with the Hisense A5 Pro CC. It was actually surprisingly good. Pages loaded quickly. Very responsive pinch and zoom and navigation while zoomed in. And the slight bit of colour made a huge difference. Depending on the colour scheme of a webpage, important details can sometimes get lost in greyscale. The muted colours of the A5 Pro CC helped to negate that effect.

Of course, the resulting image is not as crisp as that on the Nova Pro even after one has refreshed the screen on the A5 Pro CC, and it will never be as crisp as on a regular smart phone or tablet.

However, the A5 Pro CC proved to be quite capable if one had such a need. Was pleasantly surprised. That said, I would still prefer to do any web browsing on a tablet or a laptop.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #14
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Hisense A5 without any doubt!!
Great quality screen for reading ebooks (KOreader apps works great), web surfing (Lighting browser with high contrast settings) and watching youtube videos (NewPipe app).
It's a smartphone, so you make calls with it and you can have it always with you in your pocket. Now you can install Google Play as well. Simple great devices!
You can order Hisense products via CEPTSHOP.com. Pay attention to shipping method and tax fee (I paid 50 euro tax fee!)

Onyx devices are very good, but i could buy one of them only if you need a bigger screen or taking notes.

Last edited by cicabum; 10-12-2020 at 09:58 AM.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoo View Post
Thanks for replying! I used to save the webpage into txt and push to the kindle, but it's just too inconvenient. I'll try browsing on the nova 2 for a while, so far I don't dislike it. Hopefully it will be better for my poor eyes.
Why inconvenient?
What i typically do, while browsing the internet on a computer or tablet, when i end up on an interesting long read article is to save it with Pocket, that came as a widget for desktop environments.
Then i use Pocket app from the Nova 2 to either read the offline version of it or the web version, if i think that web layout matter.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote