Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book from our own Patricia Clark Memorial Library shall we read for March?
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 4 33.33%
Lardner on the Loose (collected short fiction) by Ring Lardner 5 41.67%
A to Izzard (collected short fiction) by Damon Runyon 4 33.33%
The Red Cockade by Stanley J. Weyman 4 33.33%
Humbugs of the World by PT Barnum 4 33.33%
Queen Lucia by E.F. Benson 7 58.33%
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell 5 41.67%
The Man of Property by John Galsworthy 5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 AM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Instead we get 2 bonus books to select from for next January.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
True. Though I rather think I'll start reading the Forsyte Saga regardless.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Queen Lucia by E.F. Benson wasn't one of the books I ended up voting for, but it does look as if it has possibilities. Happy reading, everyone.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have downloaded Queen Lucia and found some errors. One of the errors causes the CSS to be ignored with ADE. I am currently working on fixing it up. I shall have it done either today or tomorrow. The link below is the link to the version I am working on. I'm also going to see if I can find a larger version of the cover.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107671
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:25 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the fixed-up (some errors in the text corrected) version (ePub & KF8) of Queen Lucia. I fixed the error that cause the CSS to not work in ADE and some major format fixing.

For those interested in the audiobook version, the one read by Nadia May is very good. She does a very good job reading the book. The version i am listening to uis from Blackstone Audio. I got it from Hoopla.

I had a look at Overdrive fir the audiobook and I found it, but it gives a different narrator name even though it is the same as the Hoopla version.

https://www.overdrive.com/media/121446/queen-lucia
Attached Files
File Type: epub Queen Lucia - E. F. Benson.epub (378.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: azw3 Queen Lucia - E. F. Benson.azw3 (401.1 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-13-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: adding in more section breaks and fixed some of the text
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jon. If I was home, I'd do a conversation of your work to a Kindle format, but perhaps one of our other members will do it. If not, I'll be home for the weekend and will do it then.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had a look at Overdrive fir the audiobook and I found it, but it gives a different narrator name even though it is the same as the Hoopla
Wanda McCaddon is Nadia May's real name. Frequently you'll find she's recorded a book under both - or her third name, Donada Peters.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Harry has also uploaded a Lucia Omnibus. Just as an FYI, four of the six titles are not PD in the US.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks, Jon. If I was home, I'd do a conversation of your work to a Kindle format, but perhaps one of our other members will do it. If not, I'll be home for the weekend and will do it then.
I've added a KF8 (.azw3) version to post #20 for Kindle users.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Wanda McCaddon is Nadia May's real name. Frequently you'll find she's recorded a book under both - or her third name, Donada Peters.
Thanks for that info.

What I don't get is that the audiobook is from the same publisher yet Hoopla and Overdrive list her name differently. Makes no sense to me.

For those that do not know, Wanda reads this very well.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Thanks for that info.

What I don't get is that the audiobook is from the same publisher yet Hoopla and Overdrive list her name differently. Makes no sense to me.

For those that do not know, Wanda reads this very well.
Yes, she does! Which is why I put a link to the Audible version of it in my earlier post in this thread. It's even WhisperSync for a trivial amount.

Actually, FWIW, Wanda McCaddon, in all of her names, is one of my absolute favourite readers. One of my very first Books on Tape narrations, long before I got Audible, was the Donada Peters reading of West with the Night. None of the currently available narrations of it come even close. (And yes, I have the tape. Nothing to play it on any more, but I have the tape. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I've added a KF8 (.azw3) version to post #20 for Kindle users.
Thanks again, Jon. Karma coming your way.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks again, Jon. Karma coming your way.
Your Welcome.

I've posted new versions as I put back in the section breaks. See message #20.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

After I finish listening/reading, I'll be posting new versions. Question, should I post in the thread for the ePub version or start a new thread?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
HarryT used to have a Mapp and Lucia omnibus in the library. Did it get removed when the servers moved from Canada?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote