Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #31861
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Juries are not told abut this because Judges are afraid Juries will use it.

Yes you do have this in the UK

http://ukcriminallawblog.com/jury-nu...e-right-thing/
BTW: for what it's worth, do, actually, believe in jury nullification. It is within the power of the jury--which is the essential nexus, the fundamental tenet, of our system. Our faith and trust that "12 [wo]men, brave and true," (thank you, Dame Agatha) will come to the right verdict. If that means choosing a different path than "Thu Laaaw!," as written (thank you, Judge Dredd), then so be it.

There's not a d*mned thing wrong with jury nullification. And yes, in one of my many trips to the voir dire box, I answered a question and told the (defense) attorney that I did, an honest answer to a question, and sure 'nuff, the prosecutor exercised one of his prerogatives and I was outta there. In the circumstance, it was the right answer to the specific question.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-11-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Wanted to fix a sentence.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #31862
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
What is the period of eligibility in England? I never heard of such a thing in the US
Federal court removes you from the jury pool if you are 80 or older. For most states, if you are 70 or older, that's the only reason you need to have yourself removed from jury duty.

My late sister had jury duty last January. These days, instead of waiting at the court house, you call a number and they tell you whether you need to come in for selection or not. Once you are in the selection process, depending on your courthouse, you might not be able to use electronic devices - they may even take them from you and lock them up until you leave for the day. So, just be prepared to bring a paperback with you.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-11-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #31863
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's a famous UK case where the Jury acquitted despite the defendent being technically guilty of the the offence. Look up Clive Ponting for details.

And the Jury could still acquit today, despite the 1989 act.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #31864
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I've never been called even though I've been registered to vote since I was 18 and have had a driver's license since I was 16.

Mom's had both regular jury duty twice and Grand Jury duty once. She's gotten to hear cases every time too.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #31865
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I've been selected twice, once 20 or so years ago where we convicted for domestic violence, and once last year; I was selected as an alternate for "Unauthorized operation of a propelled vehicle" (car theft). I had to sit through the arguments, but then dismissed for deliberations. I don't know if they convicted or not, but I would have voted for acquittal.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #31866
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What the H#!!, every one's life is going just swimmingly? The last post here was by ME over two weeks ago. C'mon people, WHINE!
Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #31867
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
What the H#!!, every one's life is going just swimmingly? The last post here was by ME over two weeks ago. C'mon people, WHINE!
Where's the cheese?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #31868
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Where's the cheese?
It's over in the next thread.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #31869
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Where's the cheese?
I'll whine.

My FIL is in a convalescent care home; something weird is going on with him, but the docs cannot figure out WTH it IS. Granted, he's 96, but still. First he was taken to the hospital; kept there a few days, now he's in the CC home, and still, no answers.

My baby sister is in the ER of her local hospital, but she hasn't told me why. She had a TAVR procedure two weeks ago, and all I know is, she's concerned about "her recovery." Now she's in the ER, and she's NOT calling me. (She's 2500 miles away). What's driving me nuts is, she's NOT a Stoic. Not by any means, so, WTF is going on???????

And, as usual, in my normal moaniness, (why isn't that a perfectly good word? Seems like it should be....) I hate (some of) my clients today.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #31870
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My feet are cold.

When my friends bought this house they stripped it and renovated it. They decided against putting in underfloor heating. It was well insulated, but the tiled floor never seems to get properly warm. I've got my extra warm slippers on and knitted socks but my feet are still cold.

Also, I'm mentally preparing to walk the dog. It's -8C outside, taking the wind chill into account it feels like -16C. Tomorrow morning, when I go home to work it has warmed up to -7C, but it still feels like -16C. And Friday morning it won't be much better.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #31871
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's a famous UK case where the Jury acquitted despite the defendent being technically guilty of the the offence. Look up Clive Ponting for details.

And the Jury could still acquit today, despite the 1989 act.
Looking at that case, I could see a Jury still acquitting him today. He didn't go to the newspapers. He went to a member of the elected government.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #31872
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My feet are cold.
My feet are also cold. Diabetes and older age caught up with me finally. I now have to wear shoes or slippers ALL the time or my toes freeze. Sucks. On the sort of plus side, one of my cats has become another personal bed cat AND a personal foot warmer. Very nice when I first get into bed and my feet are cold. Not so great in the middle of the night when I try to move.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #31873
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My feet are also cold. Diabetes and older age caught up with me finally. I now have to wear shoes or slippers ALL the time or my toes freeze. Sucks. On the sort of plus side, one of my cats has become another personal bed cat AND a personal foot warmer. Very nice when I first get into bed and my feet are cold. Not so great in the middle of the night when I try to move.
I think you've got it backwards. Your cats have decided YOU are a personal bed warmer. How dare you want to move in the middle of the night!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #31874
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Work still sucks. Super busy and short handed. What a wonderful combo.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #31875
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
We're not quite sure of the exact sequence of events, but somehow my wife took a tumble this morning. She was at the top of the driveway, talking to the mailman, when she turned to leave. She may have slid on some wet leaves, tripped against the curb, etc. One way or another, she fell. We spent the afternoon at the local emergency room. She has a badly sprained ankle and a broken fibula -- the little bone in the lower leg.

Obviously, it could have been much more serious, but this will do. We'll have a better idea what's what after she sees an orthopedist.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness