Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
format integer cells as blank when 0

What do I put into the Custom Column format to make Integer cells show as blank when zero.

I read the python doco, nothing leapt from the page.

Never entering a value is not an option, because I tab through them when I'm editing cells.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What do I put into the Custom Column format to make Integer cells show as blank when zero.

I read the python doco, nothing leapt from the page.

Never entering a value is not an option, because I tab through them when I'm editing cells.
Undefined is blank, 0 is zero
Series MUST have an index, even if it is Zero (and Zeros show)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Undefined is blank, 0 is zero
Series MUST have an index, even if it is Zero (and Zeros show)
Where did I mention Series or Indices ?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where did I mention Series or Indices ?
Just covering that base also (there was someone who could not abide series [0] )

So you want to sett the field to undefined. IIRC 1000000
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Just covering that base also (there was someone who could not abide series [0] )

So you want to set the field to undefined. IIRC 1000000
No that's a real value - albeit its not much if its Chilean Pesos

I want something like

Code:
if (myValue){printf(myValue, %d);}else{printf("",%s);}
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
-1000000 is the value of 'undefined' (and it seems to work)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
-1000000 is the value of 'undefined' (and it seems to work)
a million PeterT, fortunately all my values are +ve,

It's much easier to spot the gaps when they're blank, works in bulk, I put the minus a million in my coffee/pasta library

discovered I can add a book to current library using Windows Send To. Dunno why I didn't try it ages ago.

br

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-28-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
discovered I can add a book to current library using Windows Send To. Dunno why I didn't try it ages ago.

br
still OT

Did you do something special:
My choices are Mail, Drives, My Documents,A Zip folder and Bluetooth?

IMHO that is not a bad option.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Continuing OT

There are probably several ways of doing it so would be interested in BR's method.

The one I use is put a shortcut to calibre.exe in the Windows SendTo folder (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo in Win 8 - think it has been same place for past versions of Windows if I recall correctly). This will give you Calibre as a right click option under Send To - it will send the file you right click on to the library currently open in Calibre.

If Calibre isn't already running then Send To will open Calibre which opens at the last Library used if multiple libraries and adds the file to that Library.

Note that this works for other applications too e.g. word processers, etc.

EDIT: probably worth noting that one can delete redundant items out of the Send to folder too which removes them from the right click menu e.g. I dump the fax one as I would never use it.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 08-28-2013 at 11:32 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
still OT

Did you do something special:
My choices are Mail, Drives, My Documents,A Zip folder and Bluetooth?

IMHO that is not a bad option.
First find your Send To folder,

in XP it should be at c:\Documents and Settings\theducks\Send To
in Win 7 it'll probably a junction c:\Users\theducks\Send To that points at c:\Users\theducks\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\SendTo

If the folder is not visible you may need unhide it, on the Explorer Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

Now drop a shortcut to calibre.exe into the blah blah\Send To folder, now you should see it in your Explorer, Send To menu.

br
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2013-08-29 , 13_32_45.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	110180  
Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Thanks BR
I never noticed the folder (I keep them un-hidden) before
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
More OT -

BR's mentioning of this prompted me to see if there was a quicker way to add things to the Send To menu (I use it quite a lot when I want a file to open in the non-default application e.g. if want a txt file to open in MSWord instead of my default Notepad) and I discovered that one can create a Send To option in the Send To menu so that Send To sends to itself.

Go to the SendTo folder in Explorer (as described above, or else Run shell:sendto gets one there too) and in the Explorer address line which will have, as BR puts it, blah/blah/SendTo in it. Grab the SendTo part with the mouse and drag it down into the list of Send To items.

SendTo will now be in the Send to menu.

So if want to add MSWord to the list? find winword.exe, right click and select Send to, then {*}left click SendTo. MSWord will now be in the Send to menu.

This works in Win 8, I suspect it will work in previous versions.

{*}Edit: got my left and rights confused.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 08-29-2013 at 12:27 AM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I reserve Send To for actions that do not alter the original file, as in this instance with Calibre, for most purposes I have multiple options in the Open With menu.

You can send non ebook files to calibre, that's how I discovered this. I wanted to create 'books' for my library of Sunday boring talking head videos. I knew I could drop a FLV file onto the spreadsheet and get a book folder created, but I prefer to avoid the mouse. So I looked for a keyboard way - for me its Menu Key, N, N, Enter, Enter.

br
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
On topic: there is no format expression to display 0 as blank.

Solution 1: Use a composite column and a template that notices the value in the numeric column is zero.

Solution 2: since the goal seems to be to notice them, use column coloring or a column icon to flag a cell with a zero value.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
On topic: there is no format expression to display 0 as blank.

Solution 1: Use a composite column and a template that notices the value in the numeric column is zero.

Solution 2: since the goal seems to be to notice them, use column coloring or a column icon to flag a cell with a zero value.
Thanks chaley, no surprise then that I couldn't find it.

The baggage of Algol weighs heavily on the shoulders of those who struggle under its legacy. For 2 score or more Christmas's all I've wished for is a %z in a printf .

My observation is that composite columns and colouring have a negative impact on Calibre performance... Also I would have to interpret the meaning of the colour or icon; which would impact on my performance. Whereas an an empty cell is self explanatory.

So whilst ever it works, I'll use the '-1000000' solution

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-29-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: grammar