Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #76
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
You mention historical romance. My main reading is science fiction but I occasionally read other genres. Most recently Follet’s “World Without End” which I think is considered historical fiction but does have some romance drama in it. I imagine some might consider it romance? I do not simply because the cover does not feature a half dressed man with a woman hanging on him.
I don't consider a book a romance simply because it has romantic elements; most books do. A romance needs to focus on the love story and (usually) needs to have a happily-ever-after ending.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #77
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't consider a book a romance simply because it has romantic elements; most books do. A romance needs to focus on the love story and (usually) needs to have a happily-ever-after ending.
Exactly, it focusses on the journey of the couple's happily ever after or happy for now.

Romance can be historical, modern, SciFi, paranormal, mystery, thriller...etc Romance has many mini genres under it but two things are needed for it to be a romance. One, a focus on the couple's journey and two, that's it's a happy ending.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
For some strange reason Feb is the month that ALL the Black History & Romance Books go on Sale.... Yet to see any Saint Valentine's Day Massacre books on sale or heaven forbid books on St Valentine!

I agree Wolf Not Fair!
And if we had white history month, I think there would be a big stink about that. Even a heterosexual pride parade would not go over well.

What I think is we've had enough of things like black history month. If everyone wants to be treated equal, then we have to stop with these events that showcase specific groups of people over others.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #79
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if we had white history month, I think there would be a big stink about that. Even a heterosexual pride parade would not go over well.

What I think is we've had enough of things like black history month. If everyone wants to be treated equal, then we have to stop with these events that showcase specific groups of people over others.
The groups being "showcased" are ones that have been marginalized and ignored in the past.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #80
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The groups being "showcased" are ones that have been marginalized and ignored in the past.
Yes, this. Hopefully history classes have changed in the 21st century, but when I was in school a few decades ago my world and US history classes were mainly about white history.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm hoping that someday we don't need to have a moth or week or whatever for any group of people. There isn't any one group of people that has not had something happen in the past.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #82
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice
Debating the right and wrongs of special treatment for any group of people belongs in the P&R forum, not here. Any further such posts will be deleted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote