Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Fire HD 7 Problems

Just as the title says. I don't know how to fix it. I don't know if it's because I have a too large library or an Amazon firmware just broke it.

My KFHD7 (2013) has become unusable. I reset it once already and trying again. It's slower than a turtle more like a sloth.

Anyone else with this model having problems?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
2nd gen? Has the Mini HDMI to hook to TV.... Sounds like need new battery....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ldZRG6ORA

OR one of your recent Downloads...e-books are hung up indexing.... Remove & re DL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No third generation. The battery life is excellent. It's the tablet. I suspect it's my library. I have 12000 books in the cloud.
My friend who has 13000 says her KF6 is unusable due to how many books she has. My KF6 works fine.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 10-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like the 2nd suggestion ... e-book hung up. Can you remove all the e-books Back to & perhaps 2 e-books beyond the problems started? Then reboot So it will re-index then IF everything is fine add them back S-L-O-W-ly
Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Sounds like the 2nd suggestion ... e-book hung up. Can you remove all the e-books Back to & perhaps 2 e-books beyond the problems started? Then reboot So it will re-index then IF everything is fine add them back S-L-O-W-ly
Do you have any clue how long it would take Blossom to readd even a portion of her books?
I had to redo my fire. Max is 2,000 books an hour.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Better than having to add ALL of them! Cause the next would be Factory Reset!

Cindy you have any other ideas?

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-23-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Better than having to add ALL of them! Cause the next would be Factory Reset!

Cindy you have any other ideas?
Turn the wifi off and restart the device.
Do what Barbara said.
If that fails, factory reset and start over. (Be prepared to spend several hours.)
Be glad you aren't the woman that bought over 72,000 ebooks from Amazon.

Are these sideloaded, Amazon or both?
If you have to call Amazon be sure and tell the first rep how many books you have. Expect to be transferred to a higher up.

If that fails, be prepared to buy a new fire.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I wouldn't buy a Fire I buy a Kobo, 1 you can Add more Gigs with a SDCard. You can use Several sdcards to break the collection down... Mysteries, Drama, Kids, Cozy, Romance etc. Kobo is designed to hold sdcards 120 gigs + Processing speed makes it quick & easy to switch sdcards.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The books are in the cloud not on the device. I just have too large a library.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Turn the wifi off and restart the device.
Do what Barbara said.
If that fails, factory reset and start over. (Be prepared to spend several hours.)
Be glad you aren't the woman that bought over 72,000 ebooks from Amazon.

Are these sideloaded, Amazon or both?
If you have to call Amazon be sure and tell the first rep how many books you have. Expect to be transferred to a higher up.

If that fails, be prepared to buy a new fire.
Device has nothing on it but factory. It's been factory reset twice. The second time it's acting better but still very slow

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 10-23-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
A true test would be to register it to a different or new account, one where you have few, if any, Kindle books, and test its performance issues that way.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I powered up my HD7 (2013) for the first time in months, it downloaded update 5.3.3.3.

It took a number of minutes to sync my content (my inference as to what it was doing), and nothing worked until it did (could not delete or install apps, edit collections, download books etc). After that it was ‘normal’ albeit slower than my HD8 (2017) which has more RAM. This seemed about the same as what happened the last time I updated my HD6 (2014): I just had to give it time.

Note I had next to nothing ‘on device’ when this was happening. So it is not busy indexing content, as happens on Kindle. I think it is just creating a local database of content (books, audiobooks, apps etc.), and checking all of the ‘system components’ (as opposed to OS update) to make sure those are up to date too.

I have maybe 2500 books+docs. With a larger library, I can imagine this ‘sync time’ goes up at least in linear and possibly geometric proportion. So 10000 might take a couple of hours, maybe even much more.

I would give it more time, maybe keep it plugged in and disable screen lock (in developer options), keep wifi connected, let it run overnight.

I can imagine there might be tool that can inspect processes running and give you some idea of what it is busy with.

But the leading theory of ‘slowness’ must be that it is busy with <u>something</u>, and once that something if finished it will return to normal.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:20 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

5.3.3.3? I don't have that. It's on 4.5.5.2 It says it's up to date.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201357170

This says I'm not up to date. Weird.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 10-24-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:59 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
5.3.3.3? I don't have that. It's on 4.5.5.2 It says it's up to date.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201357170

This says I'm not up to date. Weird.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Brain fart. I must have meant 4.5.5.3. That’s what happens when there are a couple of hours in between the even of recording and the event of playback. It’s definitely not 5.anything.

But yes, you don’t have latest if you have 4.5.5.2. Check for updates does not always do what one might expect in my experience. You might try manual update, though after that make sure to Check for Updates again. There might be some component updates too (these don’t require restarting, just hitting update for each.

And of course it might not fix anything.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-24-2017 at 01:08 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

It's downloading! It must have been released just today. I've done two factory resets and you know the Fire always downloads the latest firmware during one.

All updated now just letting it do it's thing for a bit. So far so good. Wouldn't it be great if we could add Google play now without root? I'll be checking XDA for info on changes.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 10-24-2017 at 02:27 AM.