Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #1171
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I hear ya'. I'm 67 and have occasional problems with my knees; fortunately not something that's constant at this point. I don't think I'm ready at this time for jogging. Maybe when I'm 80 I'll feel more like it. Until then it's 10k a day.
Surely everyone's steps are a different length, aren't they? I haven't a clue how many steps I do in a day, but when the weather allows it I walk a circuit through the fields around the village where I live, which is about three and a quarter miles. How long a distance is 10,000 steps for you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #1172
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I imagine the amount of energy a person with a longer stride (because of leg length) would expend per step would be very similar to someone with a shorter stride - other things being equal.

According to my Fitbit gadget, 10,000 of my steps is about 7.8km (4.85 miles), that's on paved suburban footpaths.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #1173
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've lost another two pounds. I'm surprised. I've been eating fairly normal well as normal as my new diet allows.

I found out I have an egg white intolerance. Eating hard boiled eggs causes severe pain worse than a gallbladder attack. I can eat scramble just fine though but I have a severe reaction to a hard boiled egg.

My diets consists of veggies, meat and very small amount of white bread and usually a pita. No corn, no potatoes, no oats or wheat. A very small amount of rice. I'm switching to cauliflower rice once I can find it. Oh I don't eat sweets I do have my cola but it's necessary. I don't crave sweets at all now.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #1174
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, this is somewhat annoying. Eaten approximately enough to sustain a sparrow (max of 1500 calories in any one day) for the third week of my diet, and the result is a loss of a measly quarter of a pound (after losing 8lb in total in the previous two weeks). How is this physically possible? Any advice? Carry on as I am and hope that the weight loss will resume?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #1175
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, this is somewhat annoying. Eaten approximately enough to sustain a sparrow (max of 1500 calories in any one day) for the third week of my diet, and the result is a loss of a measly quarter of a pound (after losing 8lb in total in the previous two weeks). How is this physically possible? Any advice? Carry on as I am and hope that the weight loss will resume?
You've hit a plateau ... often happens after an initial exhilarating substantial weight loss ... your metabolism adjusts to the new caloric intake and tries to reestablish equilibrium (i.e. maintain your current weight). Keep up the caloric restriction plan, but now increase your physical exercise activity ... aerobic or weights ... to tip your metabolism back into weight loss.. it doesn't have to be huge ... but you need to shock your metabolism out of its current stasis.

This is the point where many people think the 'diet has stopped working' and give up.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #1176
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've no intention of giving up. Since I started the diet I've been feeling a lot physically better in myself, so I'm going to keep on with it! Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #1177
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Are there any hidden calories you aren't considering from things like drinks, condiments, sauces, etc.? If so, double-check your numbers.

If not, hang in there!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #1178
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Are there any hidden calories you aren't considering from things like drinks, condiments, sauces, etc.? If so, double-check your numbers.

If not, hang in there!
No, I only drink tea with a little milk, which is about 20 calories a time, so nothing significant there. I've completely stopped buying cakes, biscuits, and so on.

My typical diet now consists of:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereals (210 cal - and I weigh it out to match the 40g portion the box says).
Lunch: Tin of soup (230 cal) and a banana (100 cal)
Dinner: Heathy microwave meal of between about 600-800 cal, and a low-fat yogurt (45 cal).

Add perhaps 140 cal for 7 cups of tea, and that's a total of around 1340-1540 cal.

That's my "non fasting" days. On my two fasting days I restrict myself to 600 cals in total (no breakfast, a banana for lunch, and dinner of about 300 cals, plus the essential cups of tea!)

Last edited by HarryT; 02-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #1179
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Every time I seriously diet (control calories) I hit a plateau. For me it's 12 and a half stone (175 pounds) and I just can't seem to get beyond that. I'm back up at just over 13 stone again, but have given up drinking for a while (a whole week so far with no red wine...) so I'm going to see if that helps.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #1180
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Plateaus are 'challenging' to deal with. Your body's metabolism adapts to your new caloric intake, and establishes a new metabolic level to maintain a new current weight relative to your intake -- the principle of homeostasis. Every time this happens, you have to jolt it to restart the weight loss ... which your metabolism then readjusts to and then maintains a new body weight ....

Adding physical activity usually is the faster way to restart weight loss -- increase caloric demand whilst holding caloric intake steady.
Lowering caloric intake can do the same thing, but much more slowly, as your metabolism has already been 'alerted' to deal with lowered intake levels.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #1181
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
No, I only drink tea with a little milk, which is about 20 calories a time, so nothing significant there. I've completely stopped buying cakes, biscuits, and so on.

Breakfast: Bowl of cereals (210 cal - and I weigh it out to match the 40g portion the box says).
Dinner: Heathy microwave meal of between about 600-800 cal, and a low-fat yogurt (45 cal).

Add perhaps 140 cal for 7 cups of tea, and that's a total of around 1340-1540 cal.

That's my "non fasting" days. On my two fasting days I restrict myself to 600 cals in total (no breakfast, a banana for lunch, and dinner of about 300 cals, plus the essential cups of tea!)
I found out( everyone's different) but we have foods that keeps the weight on. For me it's grains and potatoes. I've removed them from my diet and never felt better and the weight just comes off. I only allow myself a little white rice and a small white pita.

My ratio is rice to compliment the veggies. My whole life it was the other way around. I do not limit meat as that's where I get my iron and B12 from.

No grains, no noodles, very little bread and very little dairy. I've just eliminated eggs after finding out I'm sensitive to them.

I've lost 20 pounds since November 17th.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #1182
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Check the sodium in that tinned soup and microwave dinner. The recommended maximum daily sodium intake in the US is 2,300 mg with an ideal limit of 1,500.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #1183
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Assuming you're not doing lots of exercise, you probably need 2000 calories or so a day. So per week you'll use up (5*500) + 2*(1400) = 5,300 calories from body fat. That's about 0.7kg per week.

The big losses at the start of a diet are usually just from gut contents and possibly water.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #1184
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. I’m going to stick with it and see what happens, anyway. I’m very pleased that it’s been so comparatively easy so far - really no “hunger pangs” or anything like that.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #1185
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have found that it also helps to switch lunch and dinner if possible, in order to eat less in the evening when it’s normal to sit and read, watch TV or whatever. But for people who are at work, that probably can’t be done.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote