Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What would be best is to more evenly buy different genres.
Right. I'm just trying to see where Valentine's Day is getting your goat. Your implication is that it causes the library to load up on romance novels, yet the evidence seems to imply that one has little to do with the other (aside from a library highlighting romances in February in the same way they might highlight scary stories in October).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Valentines Day is causing the libraries to load up on romance. I've seen this at more than one library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #63
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Years ago remember they offered veterans and elderly people free library cards.
Wow, library cards cost money in the US?
Subscription libraries are, ironically enough, something I've until now only come across in regency romance novels.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Subscription libraries are, ironically enough, something I've until now only come across in regency romance novels.
If you don't live in the area they do. My local library is free but selection unless you're under 10 is poor.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
They can if you want access to a library from out of your immediate area or country. Some libraries offer it as an option for folks they wouldn't normally service.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Libraries are funded by local tax dollars, so anyone who lives within that taxing district doesn't have to pay extra for a library card. They've already paid for it with their taxes. If you live outside the area, you'll need to pay for a library card if the library allows it.

I'm assuming libraries in Norway are funded by tax dollars and that you pay taxes. So you're paying for your library card just like I'm paying for my library card.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #67
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Libraries are funded by local tax dollars, so anyone who lives within that taxing district doesn't have to pay extra for a library card. They've already paid for it with their taxes. If you live outside the area, you'll need to pay for a library card if the library allows it.
Ah, that's reassuring. It's not so bad as I thought, then. But it seems like the free library service isn't very good, if many of you decide to pay for some extended service?

Quote:
I'm assuming libraries in Norway are funded by tax dollars and that you pay taxes. So you're paying for your library card just like I'm paying for my library card.
Well, not quite like it. As I understand it, your library payment is like when I pay for Spotify or Netflix: It gives the people who pay access to the service.

But when I pay for libraries through taxes, I pay not just for myself, but for everyone to have access to the library, including poor people. This means the whole population gets better access to culture and education, and that makes for a better and more prosperous society for everyone, including me.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Well, not quite like it. As I understand it, your library payment is like when I pay for Spotify or Netflix: It gives the people who pay access to the service.

But when I pay for libraries through taxes, I pay not just for myself, but for everyone to have access to the library, including poor people. This means the whole population gets better access to culture and education, and that makes for a better and more prosperous society for everyone, including me.
American libraries work the same. Everyone has free access to their local library system. However, America is a large country and there are several local library systems rather than a single, nationwide one. If I in Texas want to join the Brooklyn Public Library system, they ask for a charge as I am not part of the tax base that funded their library system.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-15-2018 at 04:29 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #69
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Ah, that's reassuring. It's not so bad as I thought, then. But it seems like the free library service isn't very good, if many of you decide to pay for some extended service?
I suppose it depends on where in the country (or out of it) someone is located. I feel no need to have anything beyond my own local county library, it's one I would consider very good. I did pay for one once when library ebooks were a newer thing as our local one was still building up and I wanted access to more (and potentially fewer holds/waits).

Quote:
As an additional option. Although in some places there may still be some local library systems that don't do digital so paying may be some folks only option if they want library ebooks. Some places libraries are much better funded than others...

Quote:
Which is how it works in most places in the US too, but most library systems are very regional and aren't statewide or country based. Where I am our local libraries are done by the county I live in and primarily funded by property taxes in that county (although they do get some money from our state as well).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
When you are in a small town with a population of 1,800 compared to a city with a population of 2,000,000, your total funding is not going to be the same though the people in the small town may actually be paying more per capita in library taxes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #71
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
To be fair, there are some excellent writers in the romance genre. I have read some historical romances that are quite well researched and well written. I still don't like them, but that's because I am bored by the genre and the predictability of the stories, not because they are poorly written.
I can't imagine myself being fair about romance novels.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I can't imagine myself being fair about romance novels.

Barry
Old 02-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #73
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
To be fair, there are some excellent writers in the romance genre. I have read some historical romances that are quite well researched and well written. I still don't like them, but that's because I am bored by the genre and the predictability of the stories, not because they are poorly written.
You mention historical romance. My main reading is science fiction but I occasionally read other genres. Most recently Follet’s “World Without End” which I think is considered historical fiction but does have some romance drama in it. I imagine some might consider it romance? I do not simply because the cover does not feature a half dressed man with a woman hanging on him.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm lucky enough to belong to three of the largest libraries in the country, so I have absolutely no need to pay for an out-of-area membership to another library.

But as others have pointed out, not everyone is lucky enough to live in a city or county that funds its libraries to the same level that mine do. For these folks, they have no choice but to pay for an out-of-area library if their local library doesn't have what they want.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #75
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
For some strange reason Feb is the month that ALL the Black History & Romance Books go on Sale.... Yet to see any Saint Valentine's Day Massacre books on sale or heaven forbid books on St Valentine!

I agree Wolf Not Fair!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote