Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Cover Size Column?

Just wondering if it is possible to have a column with the dimensions of the cover displayed.
It would really help when updating all those small covers.

Tip:
At present though, as well as meta-taging the usual way, I'm doing it like this:
-have the library open in Win explorer, search for cover, and then sort by size.
-have google image search also open
-Calibre open.

Workflow is, Drag cover over to google (new G image search allows this)
Google finds similar and larger images, copy image and paste on the "book details window of the corresponding entry (have to search for specific entry though.

If it was possible for a column, it would be easy to use the metatagging to go through all the really small covers and update them.

Its def useful to check the MAX size of your "cover" images via explorer.exe I found some that were massive over 20MB each lol, that was slowing things down a bit.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You can use the "Quality Check" plugin to find covers based on criteria of file sizes or dimensions. You can look for covers below, above or equal to a threshold.

I know this doesn't give you the information in a custom column but it can help as an alternative.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dam, thats good, Thanks Kiwi Dude, it does just what I want for the covers, well written.
bit scared of the rest of it though had to uncheck it all, will do a backup before trying the other options out.

What am I going to do all summer, if everything is going to be automated? I was hoping to sit in front of my PC for hours
Old 06-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
You can use the "Quality Check" plugin to find covers based on criteria of file sizes or dimensions. You can look for covers below, above or equal to a threshold.

I know this doesn't give you the information in a custom column but it can help as an alternative.
I made a QC tags column. after a check,
I select All (on results view), Bulk edit and Add a meningful QC tag: 2smcvr
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Dam, thats good, Thanks Kiwi Dude, it does just what I want for the covers, well written.
bit scared of the rest of it though had to uncheck it all, will do a backup before trying the other options out.

What am I going to do all summer, if everything is going to be automated? I was hoping to sit in front of my PC for hours
Don't be "scared" of the other options in the QC plugin, all except two of them do nothing but searches on your library, they do not modify your books or metadata in any way.

The two that do make changes are:
- Check and repair book sizes (which just updates the Szie column to reflect any editing you might have done directly on your books outside of Calibre)
- Cleanup .opf files/folders (which you cannot run on your library - it is designed to be run against a folder on your device for those who sync with them that way).

Everything else you will lose nothing but your time by accidentally clicking
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
transmitthis
Addict

nice to know kiwidude, always a little cautious when running something in my Library.
I also did what the duck did, checked for small covers, then bulk edited them with a specif Tag, then instead of a column, I just searched for tag and saved the search. That way I can restrict library to those items I need to work on.

All in all a very nice result