Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #1876
aizykr8
aizykr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I have a KPW3 with firmware 5.9.2 but I'm not having much luck with the booklet method people say works. I already had KUAL installed the usual way before my kindle updated and it won't launch of course.

I tried to delete the file phyiscally from the Kindle's storage, but I still have KUAL showing up on the device itself.

I tried using the Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin with ;log mrpi as well as the Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin but it seems to say some kind of error at the bottom of the screen and doesn't do anything. It then removes the .bin files from the Kindle.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?
aizykr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #1877
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizykr8 View Post
I have a KPW3 with firmware 5.9.2 but I'm not having much luck with the booklet method people say works. I already had KUAL installed the usual way before my kindle updated and it won't launch of course.

I tried to delete the file phyiscally from the Kindle's storage, but I still have KUAL showing up on the device itself.

I tried using the Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin with ;log mrpi as well as the Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin but it seems to say some kind of error at the bottom of the screen and doesn't do anything. It then removes the .bin files from the Kindle.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?
Yes.
You are running firmware in the 5.9.x version series.

If you check recent posts in the KUAL release thread, you will see that work is being done to get rid of the after-image.

There is a prototype of a KUAL replacement, but the author has not yet packaged it for trials.

Until a replacement is available, you have to use the search bar command ;log runme and a custom RUNME.sh script to launch stuff.

There is a thread here where a collection of "RUNME.sh" scripts for various purposes is being made.
So far, nobody has contributed much of anything there.

There are mixed reports about MrPI, not sure but that may also be model specific (like KUAL booklet is).

KUAL booklet is reported to be working on the KV.

The screen saver add-in has been recently reported on.
The same person is testing the font add-in.

USBnetworking works, if you can start/stop it somehow (I start/stop it over the serial port).
Probably needs a RUNME.sh script for non-geek use.

The KOA2/FW-5.9.x combination probably marks the end of our add-in efforts.
It looks to be the end of the custom Amazon/Linux system, there are plenty of indications that these device will be switched to the Google/Linux (a.k.a: Android) system in the near future.
(The KOA2 is already running the Android boot loader.)

Last edited by knc1; 01-28-2018 at 08:36 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #1878
tmn
tmn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, lifebook
Kindle Basic fw 4.1.3

I have a Kindle Basic with firmware 4.1.3, it's having much jb and KUAL installed?
Thanks
tmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #1879
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Kindle Voyage, Firmware Version 5.9.4. Just to confirm that JB survives. KUAL and USBNetwork installed by ;log mrpi work fine.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:43 AM   #1880
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the update
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #1881
buggykiter
buggykiter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 an more
Exclamation running! thanks for your help!

Hi there,

My Kindle Paperwhite had done the update to 5.9.2.0.1.
since than my kual did'nt work at all. I tried multiple (un-)installs but nothing help.
Eyertime i tap on Kual the Kindle said "Software Error - please try again..."

At the End I read this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=139
And this was the Fix to my Problem!!
I copy the \\extensions\MRInstaller\data from the zip to my PW3 and overwrite the old data.
and do a Kual install. And now i'm back
there must be some broken data in the MRinstaller that burns my head for the last weeks.

thank you so much guys for your great work!!!
buggykiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #1882
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggykiter View Post
- - - -
there must be some broken data in the MRinstaller that burns my head for the last weeks.

thank you so much guys for your great work!!!
No, there is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail break
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
- - - -
and:
- - - -
NiLuJe's snapshots, use: (filter prefix: tools, show threads).
Users should always check the snapshot thread for the most recent build of our after-market add-ins.
If you had followed the directions, the first thing you would have done is re-install MrPI from the latest snapshot (which has been rebuilt to handle the newer firmware packages).

= = = = =

This situation is similar:
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
Only in this case:
"You can write all of the directions in the world, put them in front of your users, but you can't make them read them, let alone follow them."

So please don't claim there is something wrong with one of our add-ins until you check your own work.
Include checking for any directions you might have ignored.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #1883
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi
zaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Boox c67ml,Note S,Max2,KT3,KPW4,Kobo AurdHD,Touch N905C
Can I make KUAL to keep running for any Application?
zaoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #1884
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaoqi View Post
Can I make KUAL to keep running for any Application?
Follow the directions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765
Report on the results.
Include your Kindle model (first six characters of the serial number).
Include the firmware version it is running. (include the build id).
Include what problems you are now having. (be specific just saying: "broke" will not help)
Include the results of your tests.

Post all of that in the thread for testing the new KUAL booklet.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #1885
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Just chiming in to add another case of a KV that does not need the patch for the booklet version of KUAL to work.

Serial B05409
FW 5.9.4 (3278740046)
I have not yet reinstalled hacks.

As knc1 and a bunch of people have been pointing out, if you're a KV user coming from 5.8.x, the kindlet version of KUAL (the azw2 document) will no longer work. To start using the booklet version of KUAL, drag and drop the "Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin" file from the KUAL zip (obtainable from the OP) into the mrpackages folder in your Kindle's root, run ";log mrpi" from the search bar, and a new KUAL will install and upon installation show up as your newest 'book'. This version of KUAL won't have a cover, and will take up the whole screen once you launch it - no navigation controls until you finish up and quit.

Note that removing the azw2 doesn't remove the old KUAL from the list of apps in the Kindle's UI itself. I think that's what these attempts by knc to write a script are supposed to fix, but I'm not sure.

Knc1 has also pointed out that as there are several variants of the KV it is unknown if all of them work with the booklet version of KUAL without necessitating a patch. An experimental patch from coplate is available here - thanks again to knc for pointing this out

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 03-02-2018 at 12:27 AM.
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #1886
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
my kindle updated the firmware and now kual don't works anymore... i tried to reinstall but i can't...
if i place a bin file in the root as soon i remove the usb cable the file get deleted... i tried with the RUNME.sh too but i think isn't working for me (i tried to add touch /path/file but the file isn't created...)
pw3 5.9.4 3278740046
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #1887
knc1
Going Viral

Use MrPI to install the KUAL booklet.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:04 AM   #1888
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
oh didn't read the msg above me .. didn't remember u could run mrpi without kual support :-D
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #1889
BishopLuc
BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none

-Now both KUAL and KUAL booklet don't work. Any fix?
BishopLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #1890
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLuc View Post

-Now both KUAL and KUAL booklet don't work. Any fix?
What device?
Have you re-installed everything since you upgraded?
What have you done and what where the results of each?

Please be more specific than "don't work" - we can not troubleshoot your problem with a problem description such as "don't work".

The KUAL document is not expected to work.
The KUAL booklet is expected to work, and like all update_*.bin name format packages must be reinstalled after any Amazon update.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified