Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 05:54 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-01-2018 at 05:57 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #17
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
By the way the PRS-T3 was never distributed by Sony in North America so there is no firmware update that gives access to the North America Kobo store apparently via the built in Browser and the T3 insists that the security certificate for the Kobo store is incorrect so repeatedly gives a warning message. The whole thing does not work for me. The PRS-T3 may work well with the Sony desktop software or Calibre but I have not tried either. I have sideloaded all content I have on it so far, mostly items from Smashwords and Baen Free Ebooks.

The nice thing about the T3 is that it is the most compact and lightest 6" screen e-paper ebook reader I know of, even with the Sony lighted cover installed. The Kindle Basic 2016 with unlighted Fintie cover is both larger and heavier, even though the lightest Kindle reader. The lighted cover for the Sony runs off the internal battery like the lighted covers Amazon offered for the Kindle Keyboard, K4/K5 series and the original Kindle Touch. In their original cases the T3 is actually narrower than the Kobo Mini by about 1/4" or so and 1/2"or so taller. This is with the Sony lighted clip on cover and the Kobo Mini clip-in case.

The T3 also has the highest resolution screen Sony offered on any of their consumer ebook readers. It is apparently the same 212 DPI screen that Amazon used on the first generation Kindle Paperwhite. The T3 is also the only Sony with auto wakeup on cover opening, at least with the illuminated cover and proper choices in the power settings.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-02-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
It's not a US issue - Sony Canada and UK don't have updates beyond 2014.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...-series/prs-t3
https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/model-home.pl?mdl=PRST3

It's been a while since Gingebeardman posted in his thread about the store issue - I suppose he hasn't heard anything further from Kobo.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #19
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Both the T3 User's Guide Epub manuals posted by 4691mls and AlexBell downloaded great and opened with the Epub reader program I looked at them with. Thanks. Both are basically 1.5 MB in size while the PRS-T3 PDF manual downloadable from Sony is 12.7 MB. One hell of a size difference. Looks to me like the PDF file is designed to be printed out for those who want a printed copy of the manual or opened and read on a computer screen.

To me all software manuals for devices such as e-readers and tablets should be installed in non-volatile memory rather than being readily erased along with user ebooks.
Do they seem to be the same files under a different name? Or is one more recent than the other?

My PRS T3 (still my preferred reader) was bought in Australia.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #20
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Do they seem to be the same files under a different name? Or is one more recent than the other?

I bought my T3 from B&H, which is a US store.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
B&H is a good outfit. They still have the slots for the various T3s, but all say "No Longer Available."

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...der_black.html

They even have a slots for T2s ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...With_Free.html

But no T1s.

The "Harry Potter" edition T2 is the one I got refurbished. I don't know what happened to that book, I never read it (or had any interest in it). Maybe it's still there ... somewhere. Or maybe it got left online at Sony.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, I think you were supposed to claim the book within a certain amount of time and that time was well passed by the time I bought the T2.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-01-2018 at 08:44 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #22
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post

Even though slightly different in file sizes they both have the same Sony identifying number on the cover. # is 4-420-507-11(1). Also same date listed, (copyright symbol) 2013 Sony Corporation.

Would have to make a page by page comparison and seeing as how the reader says the manual is 194 pages once installed that would be a PITA.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
B&H is a huge photo equipment dealer in NYC and is known for offering many items which they import themselves. On many of those items this means no USA warranty. This is true of the majority of the large NYC photo equipment dealers. B&H is also large enough so they handle a lot of other consumer electronics such as e-readers, computers etc.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #24
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@Richwood, I bought my T3 from my local Best Buy in Canada. Last time I checked, Canada was still part of North America .
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
B&H is a huge photo equipment dealer in NYC and is known for offering many items which they import themselves. On many of those items this means no USA warranty. This is true of the majority of the large NYC photo equipment dealers. B&H is also large enough so they handle a lot of other consumer electronics such as e-readers, computers etc.
What used to be (or still is?) called the "gray market." I was just looking over the specs for the T2 vs the T3 (at B&H) and saw that they claimed that the T3 used capacitive touch instead of infrared. That's not true, is it?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #26
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What used to be (or still is?) called the "gray market." I was just looking over the specs for the T2 vs the T3 (at B&H) and saw that they claimed that the T3 used capacitive touch instead of infrared. That's not true, is it?

The T3 is IR not capacitive.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #27
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The original T3 manual is PDF. There never was an ePub manual.
Wrong. I've attached the EPUB manuals for T1, T2 and T3.

I thought the EPUB manual was reinstalled to the device when you do a factory reset. Maybe not?

Quote:
The T3 was never sold in North America and the latest firmware does not include support for the Kobo North America store access.
Kobo are responsive to Sony Reader support via Twitter DM. They fixed some store issues and certificate issues (with the help of Sony) so maybe they will open up the store for your region?
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #28
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Even though slightly different in file sizes they both have the same Sony identifying number on the cover. # is 4-420-507-11(1). Also same date listed, (copyright symbol) 2013 Sony Corporation.

Would have to make a page by page comparison and seeing as how the reader says the manual is 194 pages once installed that would be a PITA.
Thanks.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote