Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-29-2023, 03:26 AM   #1
manjade
manjade began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO 2E
deleted files no longer in trash but .caltrash

Hello,
I am new here so sorry if this has been talked about already - I couldn't find anything.
Originally when using calibre, when I deleted a file it was be sent to the system trash/bin (which is great if you accidentally delete something and you can just drag it out again)
Now when I delete a file, it just disappears.
Or so I thought.
I have since discovered all the deleted files are not deleted but moved to:
calibre library/.caltrash (which is a hidden folder on mac)
Is there any way of changing this so that the files actually get sent to the system trash and are removed completely rather than being hidden in a folder?
thanks very much
M
manjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's by design see the whats-new page https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2023, 03:52 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjade View Post
Hello,
I am new here so sorry if this has been talked about already - I couldn't find anything.
Originally when using calibre, when I deleted a file it was be sent to the system trash/bin (which is great if you accidentally delete something and you can just drag it out again)
Now when I delete a file, it just disappears.
Or so I thought.
I have since discovered all the deleted files are not deleted but moved to:
calibre library/.caltrash (which is a hidden folder on mac)
Is there any way of changing this so that the files actually get sent to the system trash and are removed completely rather than being hidden in a folder?
thanks very much
M
No, but…

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-29 174652.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	201337

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-29 174846.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	201338

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #4
kpjgpm
kpjgpm began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & Nook
.caltrash files

Can we delete them either inside Calibre or outside in the file browser?
kpjgpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjgpm View Post
Yes.

Right click the Delete Icon:Restore recently deleted books.
Now you can manage those being held
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caltrash.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	201607  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjgpm View Post
As usual, do not use system tools to add, delete, whatever in the calibre library. It is Not a Good Idea unless you enjoy repairing inconsistent databases.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:28 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The system trash never worked to restore a file to Calibre. You had to "add" them, because the system trash only had the file and not the metadata.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #8
Chrystalline
Enthusiast
Chrystalline began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Right click the Delete Icon:Restore recently deleted books.
Now you can manage those being held
Thank you for that. I've been fruitlessly searching for a way to clear that since I noticed the files weren't going to the Windows Recycle Bin anymore. I will say I find it counter-intuitive to select Restore when I really want to Empty Recycle Bin. Perhaps re-labeling as Open Recycle Bin or Open Calibre Trash would be more clear?
Chrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:42 AM   #9
lostinlodos
Enthusiast
lostinlodos began at the beginning.

Device: multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystalline View Post
Thank you for that. I've been fruitlessly searching for a way to clear that since I noticed the files weren't going to the Windows Recycle Bin anymore. ...
Not sure what the logic is here!
I got a response asking if it was a bug that there was no way to disable this... I won't call it a feature as it's just a terrible idea; the response was there is NO WAY to disable it.

I was also informed that OS trash/recycle was "unreliable" which I'm laughing and laughing and laughing at. What???

If they would do something slightly logical with this, add an EMPTY option to the new icon. Which EVERY pre-delete storage method has had in history.
lostinlodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:34 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Papelera.png
Views:	297
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	201647  
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:45 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinlodos View Post
I was also informed that OS trash/recycle was "unreliable" which I'm laughing and laughing and laughing at. What???
It is, and "restore" from system trash will fail on Mac, Windows and Linux because the Database won't know and the metadata will be missing. You had to "Add" the book from the trash as if it was in a download folder.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:12 PM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It is, and "restore" from system trash will fail on Mac, Windows and Linux because the Database won't know and the metadata will be missing. You had to "Add" the book from the trash as if it was in a download folder.
On Windows, you have to copy it out of the trash and then add it.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-22-2023 at 04:17 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:00 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It puzzles me that anyone would complain about a 'Restore recently deleted [books]' option in the 'Remove books' menu that does what's written on the tin. Especially since for the past 10-15 years it required the jumping of hoops to achieve the same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
AFAIK, you can't copy an item out of the Windows 10 Recycle bin, you can Restore them, which is a Move to the location from whence they came, or less obviously Move them to another location.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #14
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Oh, wow. I never knew about this.
Thanks!!
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:06 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
AFAIK, you can't copy an item out of the Windows 10 Recycle bin, you can Restore them, which is a Move to the location from whence they came, or less obviously Move them to another location.

BR
No, you can. 'Cut' option.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote