Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #61
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I do OverDrive from three library systems. I leave WiFi off on all my readers, sync books, technical references and notes over USB. My biggest OverDrive-specific complaint is that their Windows ADE sucks and has never been fixed. To get activation.xml to update on an ereader often requires copying over another book.
Since I have an older Kobo without Overdrive support, I have to run all my books through Windows ADE. Unfortunately, sideloading from ADE is a serious pain. And as most of my non-borrowed books are kepubs there's also the font size issue (particularly since kobopath hasn't been updated to the latest firmware yet).

Also ADE crashes a lot.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-03-2021 at 10:31 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #62
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

My biggest overall complaint is the lack of metadata. Only one of my OverDrive sources actually has page count. Ok, I know this is digital and page count is approximate, but I sometimes borrow a book for seven days and discover that it's 1000 pages long! (I try to use the shortest borrowing time to keep the books in circulation.) OverDrive and even Gutenberg only show some pointless dates like eBook release date. It's impossible to search for book originally published in 1950-1980. Moreover, I find the selection is skewed towards recent books and classic (public domain) literature with a big chunk of the 20th century missing.
I keep my default borrowing time set at the longest (21 days) and then just return books early if I finish them before the time is up.

I hate when the publication date shown is not the actual original publication date, but apparently the ebook release date. A couple of times I've checked out what I thought was going to be a new book from a familiar author but found out it was actually just an old book that must've been recently published as an ebook for the first time.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #63
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
... and then just return books early if I finish them before the time is up.
I'm not really sure how "returning" books work. I could return them in ADE but that surely will not affect my disconnected eReader. Does your device have to be connected to "return" a book?

Hmm, I just "returned" a book but it's still listed under my device in ADE. When I try to return that I get "BAD_LOAN_ID". Unfortunately, this was a book with many copies so I don't even know if the count increased. Eh, I'll just keep to my one week borrowing.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm not really sure how "returning" books work. I could return them in ADE but that surely will not affect my disconnected eReader. Does your device have to be connected to "return" a book?

Hmm, I just "returned" a book but it's still listed under my device in ADE. When I try to return that I get "BAD_LOAN_ID". Unfortunately, this was a book with many copies so I don't even know if the count increased. Eh, I'll just keep to my one week borrowing.
Your device doesn’t have to be connected to return a book from the web page or from ADE. The book will remain readable until the original loan period expires or the device is connected to WiFi, whichever comes first, but it’s back in the system already.

“BAD_LOAN_ID” means exactly that; the book is no longer on loan to you. Basically, there are several ways to return a book and the first one succeeds across all platforms, even if it doesn’t look as if it did.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #65
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE sometimes crashes on me when I try to return a book on it. I just return it from the library site and then delete it from ADE and my device.
Advert
Old 10-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #66
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The book will remain readable until the original loan period expires...
I just don't want to get into quantum mechanics where a book is not borrowed (according to OverDrive, as it was returned) and simultaneously borrowed (because I can read it).
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #67
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
I just don't want to get into quantum mechanics where a book is not borrowed (according to OverDrive, as it was returned) and simultaneously borrowed (because I can read it).
Delete from reader before return. quite easily done.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #68
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I used my library for a while, but it's complicated to use and requires a lot of effort compared to the level of interest I have for locating titles. I have Kindle Unlimited and Scribd subscriptions and am mostly (but not always) covered by those two sources.

I have two library cards, one for my local library and one for a regional "collaborative". The local one is complicated to use; the other one requires me to apply (and pay) in person for a non-resident card. My card expired during the pandemic restrictions, when the library was closed to in person visitors, and I have not ventured back to update it. I expect that eventually I will want a book that I can only find there, and then will make the effort to get my card renewed.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #69
E'lir
Seeker of stories.
E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I wish I could use overdrive in order to borrow audiobooks, but there is no support for it in my country.

Maybe there will be support in a couple of years when I get a more modern ereader.
E'lir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:11 AM   #70
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
For me, it's because I'm a book hoarder who likes to re-read. I love the library--it was my safe/happy place as a child and I spent literally hours in there almost every day.

As an adult, however, I can afford to buy books now, and even before e-books were available I had mostly stopped using the library for myself. I would take my children at least once a week when they were younger, and they usually brought home a stack of books every time.

Now my daughter reads both on her Kindle/iPad and paper books, and my son mostly does audio books, with a sprinkling of paper thrown in. (he travels a lot for work, and listens to audio while he's driving and in hotel rooms). Neither of them use the library anymore either, as far as I know.

Shari
I got to learn a bit more about you. This is a nice post. Too bad I've given my quota of K for today. Lovely little post.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:14 AM   #71
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Hardly any ebooks that interest me in our local library, still very much focussed on paper books. Plus I have enough ebooks to open my own library. I bought Kobo devices so I could manage my own ebook library, not because borrowing books from an actual library was desired.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #72
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I am disabled and can't travel to a library.

I can't get a card unless I can get to the library.

The library system says to contact county disability services about this, county disability services says to contact the library system.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #73
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post

The library system says to contact county disability services about this, county disability services says to contact the library system.
Now is the time to browse your local library during the pandemic!

Several years past, my local county library instituted a new way to get a library card online that is for online use only; no borrowing printed books. Don't have to show up in person to get an online library card.

Then at the beginning of the covid problem, we don't need to show up to renew our library card.

This is in California, so check your library as thing may be hidden somewhere & if one cannot enter the library without a mask, then there may be a policy change to reflect that.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:34 AM   #74
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:

I am a member of several library districts. They all say you have to make a trip in person to get a library card. They all will issue a temporary library card good for 3 months or so if you apply online, but you have to go to the library during those 3 months and get a card in person.

One of my libraries I was going to let lapse. I never went down to get the card. Now, four years later, my temporary card that I applied for online is still working.

Another of my libraries was a far drive (1-1/2 hours). I called one of the library branches directly and asked if they would grant me a card without me showing up in person since the drive was so far. They gladly obliged.

So if you're saying you have to show up in person based on something you read on their website, that may not be the case. If your library has branches, call one of those branches directly instead of the main library number. That's what I did. I don't know why I did that, but I ended up not having to drive down there possibly because of it.

Also, do you have a friend who could go to the library in your place? Call the library in advance and let them know your situation and ask if your friend can bring your ID and proof of residency down for you, tell them exactly who the friend is and then you friend can show them their ID as well as yours. Any library that wouldn't accommodate something like that for a person in your situation is a pretty disgusting library. Most librarians really seem to go out of their way to help customers. My experiences have been that librarians are some of the nicest and most helpful people on the planet.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #75
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

In your place, I'd be highly tempted to call my local newspaper and mention they could do a story about library access being denied to disabled persons... Sometimes a little public embarrassment can get things moving in the right direction.

Because what you describe is terrible.

EDIT: I do want to say that in making the comment above, I assumed you had spoken with both a real person at your library AND at county disability services.

As people have mentioned, if you only consulted website information, please do call your library before trying to stir the pot! Give them a chance to help. If the person you reach doesn't know how to help, perhaps see if you can be connected with the head librarian. And likewise for county services.

But, if help is not forthcoming, then drawing attention to the situation may be necessary.

Last edited by graycyn; 10-13-2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Additional comment
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote