Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #1126
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Can you help me find a book?

A long time ago I heard about a fantasy book, the only detail I remember about it is that thievery is legal or that it's regulated, maybe by some thief guild? Not sure. I don't think it's a book about thieves, it's just a detail about the sprawling, expensive world.

It should be some highly-regarded very well received work of fantasy, maybe even award winning. I might have heard about this book in a context of a TV adaptation.

I know it's not a lot to go by, I'm suspecting it's The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, but I could be wrong.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #1127
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Many, many fantasy novels have thieves' guilds. Not the Wheel of Time though, at least I don't remember it having such.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #1128
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
That is REALLY not enough to go by. Could be anything all the way back to Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser in 1939.

But since thievery stuck out so much in your memory, could it be Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan?

Quote:
Forget what you know about the nature of magic.

In a world where an industrial revolution is powered by magic, Tyen, a student of archaeology, unearths a sentient book called Vella. Once a young sorcerer-bookbinder, Vella was transformed into a useful tool by one of the greatest sorcerers of history. Since then she has been collecting information, including a vital clue to the disaster Tyen's world faces.

Elsewhere, in an land ruled by the priests, Rielle the dyer's daughter has been taught that to use magic is to steal from the Angels. Yet she knows she has a talent for it, and that there is a corrupter in the city willing to teach her how to use it -- should she dare to risk the Angels' wrath.

But not everything is as Tyen and Rielle have been raised to believe. Not the nature of magic, nor the laws of their lands. . . and not even the people they trust.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:19 PM   #1129
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest you have a look into TV Tropes:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...n/ThievesGuild

There are numerous examples of books, movies, TV series and so on. Maybe something will ring a bell.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:12 PM   #1130
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does The Wheel of Time match the description?
Now I'm thinking it might've been a Terry Pratchett novel.

Real sorry, I don't have anything else to go by.
Advert
Old 06-01-2023, 04:15 PM   #1131
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmm...
Robert Lynn Asprin's Thieves' World shared universe
Terry Pratchett's Disc World
Stephen Lawhead's King Raven
Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser
David and Lynn Eddings' The Redemption of Althalus

Too many others to bother trying to list including several books/series with Thieves' Guild in the name.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #1132
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
Does The Wheel of Time match the description?
I don't think there was a thieves' guild in The Wheel of Time, or that thieving was legal in that series.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:23 PM   #1133
Colonel Cathcart
Addict

I guess it's a lost cause with so little to work with. Thanks you for trying.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:44 PM   #1134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
A long time ago I heard about a fantasy book, the only detail I remember about it is that thievery is legal or that it's regulated, maybe by some thief guild? Not sure. I don't think it's a book about thieves, it's just a detail about the sprawling, expensive world.

It should be some highly-regarded very well received work of fantasy, maybe even award winning. I might have heard about this book in a context of a TV adaptation.

I know it's not a lot to go by, I'm suspecting it's The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, but I could be wrong.
What you are describing sounds very much like the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. There is a thieves guild in Ank-Morpork.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:52 PM   #1135
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
What Story Is This?

group of guys have access/build a time machine. one by one they go to the future, come back and start drinking. Nobody will talk about what they saw. finally one tells what he saw which was a statue of a cockroach, wearing a business suit and hat and carrying a briefcase. Short story, read many years ago, been trying to find it for a long time. Any clues?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:14 PM   #1136
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Could it be The Figure by Edward Grendon? Here's a link to it at Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/Astoundi...p?view=theater
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #1137
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
P.S. Please post such requests in this dedicated thread. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #1138
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Could it be The Figure by Edward Grendon? Here's a link to it at Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/Astoundi...p?view=theater

If that is the story, here's the entire wonderful issue of Astounding that it appeared in:

https://archive.org/details/Astoundi...ge/n1/mode/1up
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:31 PM   #1139
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
In the early 2000s, I read a (likely) juvenile/YA book where the teenaged protagonist accidentally ran over another teenager with her car due to it being foggy and dark.

I've attempted to search for this several times, but failed.
- It was not a hit-and-run. (One of the few details I can specifically remember is a jogger turning on the flashing lights because the protagonist was in shock.)
- The victim survives, albeit badly injured.
- There were no horror/supernatural elements.
- Both the protagonist and the victim were female.
- Although I read this in the early 2000s, I get the impression that the book itself was published in the 80s or 90s.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-13-2023 at 08:34 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #1140
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

It should be some highly-regarded very well received work of fantasy, maybe even award winning. I might have heard about this book in a context of a TV adaptation..
Not TV-adapted (AFAIK), but Feist's Riftwar books are a possibility.

By "a long time ago" are we talking 1970s? 2000s? A little help there could narrow things down. Some people might call The Lies of Locke Lamora a "long time ago". If we're talking a REALLY long time ago... mmmmaybe Jack Vance's second Dying Earth book? Otherwise, yep, Fritz Leiber.

The Queen's Thief series is very good, though I don't remember a guild as such.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths