Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #1096
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Reader-insert fanfiction.

I don't mind it as a concept. The problem is that the author always tends to make me act incredibly out of character. Also seeing "Y/N" (short for "your name") always throws me out of the writing.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:39 AM   #1097
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Oof. Can you turn off the emails from that library?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Good idea, I'll have to check.
I tried logging in twice, 24 hours apart, and couldn't log in. Overdrive responds "Your Library Card and PIN could not be validated at this time" and the library website says "The Library Card Number or PIN you entered is incorrect". I'll just smirk whenever I get an email.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:03 AM   #1098
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Until very recently (last week?) if I put a book on my Amazon wishlist that wasn't released yet it would say what the release date was on my wishlist page. I like to keep the not yet released books at the top of my wishlist in order of publication. That way it's easier to keep an eye on it. I do this because the Dutch release date sometimes differs from the one listed on GoodReads or FantasticFiction.

This morning I checked, because I knew one or two books are coming out this week, but Amazon has removed the release date from the wishlist page, so to see it you have to click to the book page. It is a minor thing. Mostly annoying when I want to add a new unreleased book to the list in the right place or when I want to check which books are going to be released when.

I can't think of a good reason to remove it, except to annoy customers.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:06 AM   #1099
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I can't think of a good reason to remove it, except to annoy customers.
Amazon's been doing a pretty good job of that lately!
Old 04-03-2023, 06:44 AM   #1100
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon Wishlist faults
  1. You can't see any discounts just for you (which can be for various reasons). Only shows official price.
  2. Sometimes mysterious "See all buying options" instead of One Click (which should be optional, should be a basket/trolley for ebooks).
  3. Sort Price Low to High is broken. Maybe it's using USA prices on UK Amazon for sort order?
  4. Page for an item doesn't show if it's already in a Wish List and if you add it, it makes it top of list.
  5. Search filter seems to only search title & author, not comments or blurb.

Kobo Wishlist faults
No sorting or filters at all, but at least when viewing a book page you can see if it's in the Wishlist and optionally remove it (missing function on Amazon), which is very good.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:36 AM   #1101
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Amazon Wishlist faults
  1. You can't see any discounts just for you (which can be for various reasons). Only shows official price.
For me, that's a feature, not a bug. I'd prefer to see the ful price.

I do wish wishlisted items would generate an email when they go on sale, like they do at GOG and Steam. I mean, I know that's what ereaderIQ is for. But it seems so obvious.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:26 PM   #1102
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For me, that's a feature, not a bug. I'd prefer to see the ful price.

I do wish wishlisted items would generate an email when they go on sale, like they do at GOG and Steam. I mean, I know that's what ereaderIQ is for. But it seems so obvious.
Yes, I prefer to see ALSO the full price. The issue is you have to click and view book page for every ebook on the Wishlist to see if there is any special discount. The Wishlist does show price when originally added, and if reduced for everyone, the current price. That is fine. But apart from spend £X get £Y credit (There isn't the points system on UK marketplace as there is on US) there are other mysterious book specific discounts I've seen and taken advantage of, but they never show up on the Wishlist. So now I open a tab for every book more than default priority to see what the price really might be reduced to, if at all.

Also if you have ability to use more than one market place each has separate wishlists (I'd use DE, USA and UK for physical items, inc paper books on USA not on UK, and Irish registered country Kindle users can use USA OR UK marketplace to buy ebooks at UK or USA price, but still with geo-limited, i.e. if it's not on UK it becomes unavailable to purchase when you log into USA.

OTOH no matter which eBay country I login, everything is on my Ebay Ireland Watch List, if added, even if in USA, UK, Germany, Italy or whatever ebay site.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #1103
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, I prefer to see ALSO the full price. The issue is you have to click and view book page for every ebook on the Wishlist to see if there is any special discount.
This is a bit of a pain in the butt, but if you have a Kobo device, then you can page through your wishlist in the Discover section, 3 books at a time. The Kobo device shows the regular price and, if the book is discounted, the regular price is struck through and the discounted price is shown beneath it.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:04 PM   #1104
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Jeeze, is it too much to number your books?

I've stumbled across an author that writes Holmesian pastiches which are not awful. Are they ACD? No, but they're okay. They lack some of the "mystery" elements that I'd prefer, but...beggars/choosers.

But here's the thing. This schmuck has been writing these for some years and they're all simply titled. NOT numbered. Nothing like "book 2 in the yadda-yadda series" or the like. Plus, he writes full-length novels AND shorties/novellas, the latter of which he combines into a "boxed set" for lack of a better word and it's even harder, trying to figure out what you've read and what you haven't--I've stumbled across something I've read in a set, too.

I mean, why the hell not identify them? It's a nightmare for me to figure out (this is KU) which ones I've read and which I haven't; I've downloaded the same books several times and realized in the opening scene that I had. That's really annoying.

I can't tell if he's an idiot, lazy or...IDK. It's frustrating. It's not like there are only 3 or 4 of them.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #1105
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
This is a bit of a pain in the butt, but if you have a Kobo device, then you can page through your wishlist in the Discover section, 3 books at a time. The Kobo device shows the regular price and, if the book is discounted, the regular price is struck through and the discounted price is shown beneath it.
The website is less tedious than the Kobo. Tried the actual Kobo once. Pointless.
The issue is you can't sort or filter by anything. They are list in most recently added first. So to make a book be at the start of the list I click on item, remove from wishlist, add to wishlist.

Currently my Kobo list has 74 items. Maybe they only tested it with a few. It has 12 per page, but only about 4 fit on full height of a 4K screen (set to regular, not retina/HiDPI). No sort or filter at all.
Yet on Search they can filter:
All Results
Book Titles
Author Names
Series

And sort has 7 options.
There are more options in side bar, like ebooks only or audio only or both. Or Categories, Language, discounts. Far better than Amazon's almost totally broken search, easier to search Amazon's titles with a search engine than on the Amazon site!
Old 04-03-2023, 03:16 PM   #1106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I do wish wishlisted items would generate an email when they go on sale, like they do at GOG and Steam.
And Kobo.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:44 PM   #1107
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
We really need an IsThereAnyDeal for books.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:59 PM   #1108
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-04-03 16_56_27.png
Views:	98
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	200774

Well I would hope that my eBook was printed on low-acid paper
Old 04-03-2023, 04:26 PM   #1109
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Attachment 200774

Have you seen what Cocacola does to a PCB trace? I used to service supermarket scanners. I would get a 'we had a spill' call and by the time I got there, the circuit traces were already turning copper-patia-green (basket cased the board).
E-books really need to be low acid
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #1110
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

E-books really need to be low acid
Bit rot wins out in the end.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote