Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #16
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thanks for posting the link. I am interested, although have yet to buy a reader (very close now that the PRS 600 is almost out in the UK.) Look forward to experimenting in the mean time with the add-in.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
on Bookmarks_Calibre.txt:

My goof. After one opens an epub with Calibre's reader, Calibre embeds the bookmark file into the epub. Your stuff didn't put it there. Apologies.

Yours is the first generater-epub-er-maker I've seen that the epub created could be opened directly in MobiPocket. So, you're on the right track there.

With a Word Docx file, one has the option to embed fonts directly into the document. Is this on your radar? Sure, one could do that with Indesign, but gad, that's hard. There's oodles of formatting tricks in Word that tend to get stripped in the other builder applications, so if yours would utilize more of them, that would be better (dropcaps, themes, background colorings, tables, smart art, word art, etc)

Overall, I rather liked it, for single-file conversions. Me, I tend to build multi-file books; it makes my organizational book life a lean bit more to my liking. So please, keep up the efforts. Being able to use my favoritist editor directly into epub = good.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does your converter support the mobile ADE specification? That is, no flow greater than 300k.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #19
NSqirrel
Enthusiast

Perhaps my question comes into that asked by brewt above (>> one has the option to embed fonts directly into the document. Is this on your radar? )
Being ereaderless at present, I have installed the Sony ereader application on my laptop and created an epub file, with some graphics, with the greatest of ease using your add-on. One things I noticed is that I cannot change the font size in the ereader application, whereas I can with other epubs I have obtained online. Am I too early in your dev cycle or is the problem with my file creation?

(Edit: Sony app referred to above is the 'eBook Library' application v3.0.00.08040.)

Last edited by NSqirrel; 09-06-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, you can use eBook LIbrary to view ePub and you can change the size of the font with eBook Library.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #21
NSqirrel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, you can use eBook LIbrary to view ePub and you can change the size of the font with eBook Library.
Thanks for the comment, but not quite my point. I know I can do as you suggest with ePub books, but not with those few tests I have generated using the add-in. Hence my question being: does the add-in allow font size changes with eBook Library or am I doing something wrong (-quite likely!)?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeok View Post
3. Word 2007 to HTML or Word 2003 to HTML. The answer is neither. Aspose.Words is itself a file conversion engine. In this particular case the flow is MS Word saves DOCX (OOXML), Aspose.Words reads it and converts to EPUB itself. So it is not MS Word to HTML conversion.

EPUB is an HTML file, or a set of HTML files, with some metadata attached, in a ZIP container, with the extension changed to EPUB. There is no "convert to ePub" without "convert to HTML." Aspose may not use either of Word's HTML conversion processes but it has to convert to HTML somehow. (I suppose it could convert to XML instead of HTML, but the same issues exist--how much of Word's unnecessary repetitive paragraph-level coding does it keep?)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Thanks for the generous offer, Romeok. I'll try it out!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
Meine
Meine began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSqirrel View Post
Thanks for the comment, but not quite my point. I know I can do as you suggest with ePub books, but not with those few tests I have generated using the add-in. Hence my question being: does the add-in allow font size changes with eBook Library or am I doing something wrong (-quite likely!)?
I had the same finding as you did so I went on and posted a question on the Aspose forums about, and this is what I got back:

.....When viewing EPUB we are normally able to increase and decrease font size dynamically. For instance in Adobe Digital Editions there are two corresponding buttons in the toolbar. To make this feature working, font sizes in EPUB must be relative like this:

style=”font-size:1.15em”

“em” measurement unit in CSS corresponds to the current effective font size. But Aspose.Words outputs EPUB with absolute size values in points, not em. This is a known issue. We’ll notify you when it’s implemented. But we cannot promise any timeframe because good implementation would be quite complex (considering tables, lists, etc.).....

so its still something in their conversion method that needs a change
Meine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #25
NSqirrel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meine View Post
I had the same finding as you did so I went on and posted a question on the Aspose forums about....(
Thanks Meine for the reply and explanation, which is a great help.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
The reason I ask is that you have to log-in to download it. And in order to log in, you have to supply personal info such as Name, Street Address, Phone, Country, etc.. This is not something I am willing to supply for a free plug-in for Word.
Come on ...
I never have problem supplying those data.

Let us see ...
Name: FirstName
Surename: LastName
Street: First Street 1
Town: Qwerty
Zip: 012345
Country: Afghanistan (it is usually the first on the list. Feel free to supply Albania or Bali)
email: IDoNotWantToTell@SoGetThis.com

It is a good idea to make a habit in registering to all those countless sites that require registration using the same name, like
IRegistered
IvanKuznec (John Smith in Russian)
IDoNotWantToTell
So when you return to the site, you just automatically try logging in with LoggedIn name and password321 password.

The beauty is, you CAN receive email at the above address IDoNotWantToTell@SoGetThis.com. Just go to the www.mailinator.com
sogetthis.com is just one of many alternative names mailinator.com has.

Last edited by kacir; 09-26-2009 at 05:35 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I havent tried, but does Word07 export HTML better than 03?
Yes it does, but do not select html as an output. Select simplified html or stripped html or something like that (I do not remember and I do not have MSW2007 installed on this comp.). There is such file format in a drop down list of file formats when you select SaveAs in menu.

I say the html is better, but it does mean the code looks well. Word just leaves out lots of styles and other garbage that is only needed if you need to open that html in word again.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #28
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
have downloaded this app. to try out but i seem to be having a compatibility issue. the application wont show up when i try to save as. im using microsoft office 2010 beta guessing this is the problem but wondering if there is a way around without loading an older version
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #29
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
From Wikipedia,

Quote:
The Beta Build 4417 was leaked to the internet on August 30, 2009. It contained a number of UI enhancements, as well as the near final implementation of Backstage View.

Technical Preview

On May 15, 2009, the first Technical Preview was leaked to BitTorrent websites. An internal post-Beta build was leaked on July 12, 2009, newer than the official preview build and including a "Limestone" internal test application.

On July 14, 2009, Microsoft started to send out invitations on Connect to test an official preview build of Office 2010. On August 30, 2009, the beta build 4417 was leaked on the internet via torrent networks.

Public Beta

Microsoft has confirmed that a public beta of office 2010 will be released later this year.
Office 2010 isn't exactly out yet, and targeting an app for a Beta release usually doesn't work out so good.

If you have to see it work, at least this afternoon, you have to backstep to non-beta-microsoft-stuff.

Or, wait until 2010 is really out. Since O2010 is a web-based app, I'm not sure how one would go about loading in a 3rd party add-in to Microsoft's Servers without their say-so.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 AM   #30
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
cheers brewt
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote